How old are you?

ColdHeartBreaker

I'm somewhat surprised at the number of 20 year olds on this forum. I guess most of us who were old enough to remember or were around during or the classic lineup have moved on.

I find it interesting that so many 20 somethings are into GNR, since their early teen years would have been during a period of GNR dormancy. GNR, at their prime, was a band of my youth - it was easy to like a band like GNR when I first started getting into music. Axl's claim to being the best frontman in the world was strong, the band were producing monumental music, and there was just a general vibe in the late 80s and early 90s about them. I remember a comic once saying that a person's favourite type of music or band is often whatever they're listening to when they first get laid. Youth and music often have strong associations, imo.

But what was there to like about the band in the mid to late 90s that got people interested? Unless some got into GNR later, as a result of their first launch with a completely different lineup (Robin, Bucket, Brain, etc.) Which again strikes me as strange, since there was little new music and Axl had changed to being unrecognizable in both his vocal performances and his physical appearance.

Anyway, I recently turned 34.

Edited by downzy

Man, I feel like I'm in diapers now. The community around here is older than I figured it would be. I'm eighteen myself, which means I'm old enough to smoke and be executed, neither of which I'm really interested in.

Some members are almost back IN diapers.

• Like 3

Man, I feel like I'm in diapers now. The community around here is older than I figured it would be. I'm eighteen myself, which means I'm old enough to smoke and be executed, neither of which I'm really interested in.

Some members are almost back IN diapers.

It's what Special K does to you.

• Like 1

But what was there to like about the band in the mid to late 90s that got people interested?

I personally got interested in the early 00s and it was basically what they did since 1987 to 1993 what got me interested. I heard AFD and I loved it. It's as if you like the Beatles and you're in your 20s or 30s, nothing new but music stands.

GNR seemed to come back into fashion in the early 00's, especially with Velvet Revolver. I remember being a teenager and something about GNR was always on VH1. That's sort of what got me I to GNR, all these specials about this band that was the most dangerous in the world, the last rock gods, the inimitable crazed singer, mysterious top hatted guitar player. I just remember everyone talking about this great band that I missed out on, the likes of which I would probably never see again.

23. I didn't really start getting into rock music until I was like 13 or 14, and I started out with the typical AC/DC, Jimi Hendrix, and Metallica singles on my little mp3 player. Then I downloaded some GNR songs and the rest is history. The catalog was already there and easily accessible thanks to the internet in the early 00's, it isn't exactly rocket science how a youngster could get into an older rock band in those days.

I'm somewhat surprised at the number of 20 year olds on this forum. I guess most of us who were old enough to remember or were around during or the classic lineup have moved on.

I find it interesting that so many 20 somethings are into GNR, since their early teen years would have been during a period of GNR dormancy. GNR, at their prime, was a band of my youth - it was easy to like a band like GNR when I first started getting into music. Axl's claim to being the best frontman in the world was strong, the band were producing monumental music, and there was just a general vibe in the late 80s and early 90s about them. I remember a comic once saying that a person's favourite type of music or band is often whatever they're listening to when they first get laid. Youth and music often have strong associations, imo.

But what was there to like about the band in the mid to late 90s that got people interested? Unless some got into GNR later, as a result of their first launch with a completely different lineup (Robin, Bucket, Brain, etc.) Which again strikes me as strange, since there was little new music and Axl had changed to being unrecognizable in both his vocal performances and his physical appearance.

The success of the Greatest Hits in 2004 and the rise of Velvet Revolver being sold as "3 ex GNR members" with music videos on MTV..etc certainly bred a new generation of GNR fans. Myself included.

Then, in the UK anyway, we had VR touring in 2005 and GNR in 2006. So there was plenty going on to get people interested.

Edited by Axl_morris

Yeah, I've been thinking about that too. I was trying to compare it with music that was from 'before my time' and that I was really into when I was young. I guess when The Doors movie came out in 1991, many young people became fans, including me. Jimi Hendrix too, Bob Marley even. Also, there was this revival of sixties music, in part thanks to Tour of Duty being a huge success. Difference was many of them were dead, so there was nothing to follow anymore. There was absolutely no hope for new music. We just listened to the old sixties stuff and that was alright.

But Axl is still alive, as is GNR (although maybe that's debatable for some, you know what I mean), so you have the chance to see them live and there's even a chance of new music or even reunion, in theory, at least.