Help me raise money to see the country and write my book

Dan H.

Hello everyone! To keep it short and sweet, I want to go on a cross country adventure and write a book about the people, places, and culture that I experience that I know this wonderful country has to offer from the point of view of a 23 year old millenial.

My goal is to be able to head south to New Orleans and drive along the southwest through Texas Arizona New Mexico and California before going north to Portland and Seattle. The money donated will go to gas, food, and shelter as I adventure across the western United States for the first time.

If you choose to leave a name with your donation I will be certain to mention you in the acknowledgements in the book. Thank you all so very much! Peace and love!

“the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.”
― Jack Kerouac, On the Road

http://www.gofundme.com/8h06vo

Anything that anyone could spare would be greatly appreciated! I've been trying to come up with ways to approach writing a great American novel in the 21st century, and I think now I finally have a plan. But unfortunately its going to cost somewhere in the 5000 dollar range to travel around for a month or so and really spend time getting to know the western United States and the culture there. About 3000 dollars is what I already have saved up, but I am asking for 2000 in donations, and anything you could spare would be appreciated

Thanks in advance MyGNRForum!

Edited by LiveFromNormal

Hey just don't donate if you think its selfish.

I mean I guess by definition it is selfish, but its not like I'm putting a gun to your head. I'm just asking for people to invest in my writing.

Edited by LiveFromNormal

Hey just don't donate if you think its selfish.

I mean I guess by definition it is selfish, but its not like I'm putting a gun to your head. I'm just asking for people to invest in my writing.

If people are willing to invest in you, then go for it.

I would rather you do something for yourself, and others give their money to a better cause

People are people though. What can you do

• Like 1

Can you post some writing samples?

Do you have a book deal in place?

If people donate to your vacation, and no publisher picks up your book, do people get a refund of their money?

How much have you saved for your trip? Did you work two jobs for the last year and give up your social life, so you could save money for this journey?

If people donate to your vacation, and no publisher picks up your book, do people get a refund of their money?

How much have you saved for your trip? Did you work two jobs for the last year and give up your social life, so you could save money for this journey?

Sure I can PM you some

No, I don't

If the site offers a way to do that I'm sure I could arrange that. But of course there are ways to get published independently these days, so I'm not super worried about it right this second.

I have 3 grand in general savings. And I'll mail you my work history and W2s for last year ASAP sir, just toss me your address.

Edited by LiveFromNormal

Sure I can PM you some

No, I don't

If the site offers a way to do that I'm sure I could arrange that. But of course there are ways to get published independently these days, so I'm not super worried about it right this second.

I have 3 grand in general savings. And I'll mail you my work history and W2s for last year ASAP sir, just toss me your address.

Cool

Bummer

Would be the fair thing to do. Yes, anybody can get anything published on Amazon.

How long is your vacation going to be? $3000 won't last very long. Have you thought about trying to earn the money yourself? Might make the trip a little more rewarding, knowing that you worked your heart out to save up enough money to take the trip.

Have you shopped your idea to any publishing company? If you have top notch writing skills and can convince a publishing company that your story would be one that people will read, maybe they would fit the bill for your entire trip?

Sure I can PM you some

No, I don't

Have you shopped your idea to any publishing company? If you have top notch writing skills and can convince a publishing company that your story would be one that people will read, maybe they would fit the bill for your entire trip?
No, but that's actually a really good idea

Hello everyone! To keep it short and sweet, I want to go on a cross country adventure and write a book about the people, places, and culture that I experience that I know this wonderful country has to offer from the point of view of a 23 year old millenial.

Do you think you're being original?

That's not something I care about too much.

• Like 1

What. I didn't really want to donate to someone that I didn't really know as a community member.

If it had been a long time poster then I probably would've been more supportive. But it seems like that person joined the forum made 56 posts and started asking for donations, so no I didn't want to donate.

I'm not at all embarrassed by that, so I don't think of it as being 'busted'.

Edited by LiveFromNormal