I miss this shit

Axl Rose in his prime was the greatest frontman on the planet, bar none. Unfortunately that was only for 5-6 years.

No.
Between 1987-93, who was better?

I don't know. I was born in 1992. But I do know that as I grew older, Axl's rants became really, really lame. Greatness is subjective. When I was an angry, bullied teenager, Axl was my man. Now, when I listen to Appetite I almost feel embarrassed.

• Like 1

Axl Rose in his prime was the greatest frontman on the planet, bar none. Unfortunately that was only for 5-6 years.

No.
I don't know. I was born in 1992. But I do know that as I grew older, Axl's rants became really, really lame. Greatness is subjective. When I was an angry, bullied teenager, Axl was my man. Now, when I listen to Appetite I almost feel embarrassed.

Who cares about his rants, there was nobody better than Axl at performing with a band. Nobody put on shows like he did. Do you know why people love Guns n Roses? It's because for that brief period of time if you got a chance to see one of their shows then you also witnessed the greatest musical performance of all time.

You can hate appetite all you want but the energy Axl brought to the stage made him the greatest frontman in the history of rock. You will never see another performer like him. He was once in lifetime.

• Like 1

No.

I'm in pretty much the same boat being born in 1991. I'm with you on the rants, and even a bit on appetite (think about you, my Michele, anything goes, and you're crazy are pretty infantile). But I watch that video and other performances between 1987-1993, and during that time period I can't think of another artist who could touch him when it came to passion and commanding an audience.

Rants were cool, "badass," "hardcore," etc. to me when I was 17. Now I find the rants particularly embarrassing. Axl's on stage banter since 2009 has been one of the few things I feel has definitely improved. He went from complaining and "they're out ta get me" type rants to genuinely having fun and telling stories to the audience.

Axl's rants are dumb.

What don't you like about them? They're entertaining, full of passion, sometimes profound, sometimes random, sometimes epic, sometimes funny.

They're never profound. Ever. And even if they were, I'll take a band that can actually produce good music (of which GNR has only done a limited amount) over some stupid gimmick speech any day. I found the rants, riots and drama cool when I was a kid. But it's just lame now.

• Like 1

Axl's rants are dumb.

What don't you like about them? They're entertaining, full of passion, sometimes profound, sometimes random, sometimes epic, sometimes funny.

They're never profound. Ever. And even if they were, I'll take a band that can actually produce good music (of which GNR has only done a limited amount) over some stupid gimmick speech any day. I found the rants, riots and drama cool when I was a kid. But it's just lame now.

So is the only reason you're "into" Guns N' Roses because Robin Finck played in the band?

Axl's rants are dumb.

So is the only reason you're "into" Guns N' Roses because Robin Finck played in the band?

No, why?

Axl was a machine. A destructive, nonstop, whirlwind of emotion. He was the embodiment of everything rock n' roll stood for. The angry, repressed, emotional kid from the Midwest who wanted to "stick it to the man". He was the voice of a generation of head-banging, tattooed, social outcasts. He didn't stand up on stage and sing some songs on key. He didn't wear hot pink spandex pants and lipgloss. He screamed and ranted and damn near spontaneously combusted every show. Totally felt the energy and went with it. He never got up there and did anything that looked like he rehearsed his "cool face" in front of a mirror (ahem....*cough* Bret Michaels). He was just who he was, dynamic, indestructible, volatile, passionate, and he gave every person in the audience every single ounce of himself. You had to love him or hate him and the best part was, he didn't fucking care which one you picked. 1987-1993 Axl was untouchable.

I know I'm old (41) and Axl's time has passed....but this passion is why I'm still here (in GnR world). God damn-

1 minute in, and I'm like, get to the point, man!

Meanwhile, I've got the horns up, screaming "Preach, motherfucker!"
  • Like 2

I wish Axl would just talk now. The 3 shows I've seen with GNR, Axl rarely says anything anymore.

I understand some singers want to keep their voices for singing, but it's cool when the singer talks to the fans.

Anyway, Axl's rants are a thing of the past, I guess. I would have liked to have been there for at least one though. Would have been cool to see Axl stand up for what he believes in.

No.
Who cares about his rants, there was nobody better than Axl at performing with a band. Nobody put on shows like he did. Do you know why people love Guns n Roses? It's because for that brief period of time if you got a chance to see one of their shows then you also witnessed the greatest musical performance of all time.

You can hate appetite all you want but the energy Axl brought to the stage made him the greatest frontman in the history of rock. You will never see another performer like him. He was once in lifetime.

This^... I'd take my first GNR show in 1987 and that was just in a short opening spot over any GNR show that I've saw since. In 87 there was a desire there that just has been hard for anyone to replicate over the years....Axl included.

But on topic, some of axl's rants over the year have been great and perfectly on topic for the current situation and/or just a person dealing with issues in their own way. Some were just ridiculous on the other hand.

Axl was a machine. A destructive, nonstop, whirlwind of emotion. He was the embodiment of everything rock n' roll stood for. The angry, repressed, emotional kid from the Midwest who wanted to "stick it to the man". He was the voice of a generation of head-banging, tattooed, social outcasts. He didn't stand up on stage and sing some songs on key. He didn't wear hot pink spandex pants and lipgloss. He screamed and ranted and damn near spontaneously combusted every show. Totally felt the energy and went with it. He never got up there and did anything that looked like he rehearsed his "cool face" in front of a mirror (ahem....*cough* Bret Michaels). He was just who he was, dynamic, indestructible, volatile, passionate, and he gave every person in the audience every single ounce of himself. You had to love him or hate him and the best part was, he didn't fucking care which one you picked. 1987-1993 Axl was untouchable.

I know I'm old (41) and Axl's time has passed....but this passion is why I'm still here (in GnR world). God damn-

1 minute in, and I'm like, get to the point, man!

Meanwhile, I've got the horns up, screaming "Preach, motherfucker!"

This Axl Rose is a legend :wub:

The rants were awesome, you can't take that away from him. You know what's stupid and not profound? Just perform songs and leaving the sage without communicating and truly opening up to the audience.