Of the current guitarists in GNR, rank them in terms of artistic potential

Guest NGOG

Say they were given an opportunity to do a fresh GNR record - who would come up trumps amongst the current crop of guitarists?

1. Bumblefoot - I think that he has become much more refined as a guitarist through playing with GNR. His workshops - namely the renditions of the Chinese songs, but also Argentinian Tango - have reaffirmed my faith that he could produce some interesting concepts.

2. Dj ASHBA - Say what you want about Dj, but I have no doubt that he could slap an old GNR-like solo over Axl's songwriting.

3. Richard Fortus - I think Richard is capable of surprising us with his role on Chinese Democracy 2; but there's nothing we've heard that would indicate he'll play any prominent role. I could very well be wrong on that though, Richard has left a lot of small footprints on the music industry.

Edited by NGOG

1-Bumble, like you said he really brings great stuff live, and I like what he did so far in studio with the band.

2-Richard, because I think he rocks hard - it's time to let him shine a bit and I think he can pull it off.

3-DJ, some of his solos on Sixx: A.M. I like, and I think he can indeed do some good stuff with Axl but I don't like his persona too much.

Bumblefoot: technically "brilliant" player, I'm yet to hear a song of his own material that I like and with exceptions I find his playing to be rather tasteless.

I'll give him #2

Richard Fortus: I like his sound, I also like how he doesn't finger tap/shred and carry on (to my knowledge, though I mostly try to avoid listening to GNR live these days so I could be wrong)

I also have very little idea of what Richard's own songs are like...regardless, out of the three current guys he gets #1

DJ Ashba: I'm not going to bother

• Like 3

Bumblefoot is like a fire hose while playing, if he aint controlled he is noodling all over the place wildly going everywhere except the fire.. When he is focused there are few that are actually on his level.

Fortus has the skills and tone but has been stuck in playing the role of Izzy instead of lead.

Then there is DJ... SWAG... enough said.

Edited by Randy Jesus

Guest Gunns

Bumblefoot: technically "brilliant" player, I'm yet to hear a song of his own material that I like and with exceptions I find his playing to be rather tasteless.

I'll give him #2

Richard Fortus: I like his sound, I also like how he doesn't finger tap/shred and carry on (to my knowledge, though I mostly try to avoid listening to GNR live these days so I could be wrong)

I also have very little idea of what Richard's own songs are like...regardless, out of the three current guys he gets #1

DJ Ashba: I'm not going to bother

Basically somes it up for me entirely,

4tus is the only one being underutilized so much its almost criminal.

Bumblefoot covers well but I don't think his skill will transfer well to writing songs or adding solos for that matter

Dj , waste of enery even typing these 8 words.

come on, some of those guys are almost 50-year-old... are you seriously discussing the "artistic potential" of these guys ? :lol: that's something you can do about young musicians who are starting their career, not with guys who have grey hair.

if bbf, fortus or dj had some "artistic potential", we would know by now.

Edited by supercool
  • Like 1

#1 Richard Fortus

#2 Bumblefoot

Ashba is not worth the time. :vomit:

This, and sadly it really isn't saying all that much.

They're both great players, but I prefer Fortus, some of the shit he does in his solo spots is much more my style and his music actually has some sort of life to it, it has a pulse!

What is it you guys see in Bumblefoot? Frankly I think Bumblefoot, for how talented he is, is creatively one of the most boring guitar players in the fucking world. Can't get into his music at all. He can play a good cover, maybe even add a nice lead over a song he didn't write, obviously, but any guitar player who knows his scales and modes should be able to do that. Bumblefoot is the king of bedroom youtube shredders, and that is not a throne anybody should be proud of.

Edited by sweetness

Obviously Bumble comes first, Richard is a competent and tidy player but not much is known about the guy's actual artistic ability to createl, Ashba if we ignore his delusions and offensive persona has a solo record which isn't really too bad but nothing many guitar players couldn't conjure up in a few months if they tried, Sixx:Am is a generic bore to me and his solos are just solos nothing really to say about them but he can write songs that sell.

1. For Guns, I think Fortus is the key if the goal here is to inject some more classic hard rock to the sound.

2. Bumble can adapt. He can play anything, regardless of what you think of his tone or his solo material.

3. No.

Edited by Rovim

Nobody can possibly speculate on how these people will write as 'Guns N' Roses guitarists' as, ginger will not allow them to make a record together. Even if you like Bumblefoot's solo work, it does not mean he will make, a good songwriting partner for Axl. For all we know, Ashba might write well with Axl (I highly doubt it by the way!).

1. DJ- he might not be the best guitarist but I think his solo's are better than the others and his personal work has the potential to create a cool sound that could possibly create a popular GNR record with Axl's guidance.

2. Fortus- I think he could do well also. I think his laid back attitude could help create songs that are a little softer and probably easier for Axl to sing which will lead to better vocals on his tracks.

3. BBF - I just don't care for his work. I don't like it personally. Not saying it sucks but his music doesn't suit me.