Lets be honest....Axl can't sing anymore

If we take Axl's touring schedule and account for the fact he clearly is having problems with his voice and still performing two hours and consider his outstanding form (relative to lately) in 2006 and 2010 and parts of 2012 then he is nowhere near the singer he was but we must assume he's blown it out or has some issue cause this is a guy who will never give less than 100% , he still played 8 goddamn songs at that show even tho he was struggling.

He hits all the right notes and sings with power. I guess it is like with my relationship to Miles Kennedy, I acknowledges that the guy can sing, I just don't personally care for his voice. As an adult human being I would never make a fool of myself by claiming that someone who can definitely sing, "sings like shit" just because I personally don't like the voice. That is two different things.

EDIT: I remember back in the late 80s a rock magazine asked other rock singers what thy thought of Axl's voice. I was stupefied by how many said he had an awful voice. I just couldn't understand the subjectivity of voice preferences back then. I thought that because I liked the voice everyone else had to. But in the 90s I remember how many told me they couldn't stand his chainsaw, raspy gargling noises. Sure, they would acknowledge he were hitting the noise with lots of power, it is just different preferences when it comes to tonal quality.

Edited by SoulMonster

Yes, his high clean voice is annoying to my ears. His talking voice still sounds good tho, that's why I said his ISE performance on Golden Gods was excelent.

PS: Video just reminded me how bad Ashba's solo is.

It's So Easy was great...until the end...he hit the "fuck off" part perfectly...but during the ending, he went to the clean high vocals again, either on purpose or not...and he never recovered the rest of the set

Yes, his high clean voice is annoying to my ears. His talking voice still sounds good tho, that's why I said his ISE performance on Golden Gods was excelent.

PS: Video just reminded me how bad Ashba's solo is.

It's So Easy was great...until the end...he hit the "fuck off" part perfectly...but during the ending, he went to the clean high vocals again, either on purpose or not...and he never recovered the rest of the set

Yeah, It's So Easy was a great start.

He hits all the right notes and sings with power. I guess it is like with my relationship to Miles Kennedy, I acknowledges that the guy can sing, I just don't personally care for his voice. As an adult human being I would never make a fool of myself by claiming that someone who can definitely sing, "sings like shit" just because I personally don't like the voice. That is two different things.

EDIT: I remember back in the late 80s a rock magazine asked other rock singers what thy thought of Axl's voice. I was stupefied by how many said he had an awful voice. I just couldn't understand the subjectivity of voice preferences back then. I thought that because I liked the voice everyone else had to. But in the 90s I remember how many told me they couldn't stand his chainsaw, raspy gargling noises. Sure, they would acknowledge he were hitting the noise with lots of power, it is just different preferences when it comes to tonal quality.

Axl definitely can still sing but maybe can't sing all the old songs like he used to........reminds me of the Led Zep reunion where they tuned down a step on the songs to accommodate Plants current ability and picked songs he could still sing...Maybe Axl needs to reevaluate the setlist and drop some of the songs he struggles with............ :shrugs:

.......reminds me of the Led Zep reunion where they tuned down a step on the songs to accommodate Plants current ability and picked songs he could still sing...Maybe Axl needs to reevaluate the setlist and drop some of the songs he struggles with............ :shrugs:

That would be a step in the right direction. Hell, Zeppelin didn't even downtune all of their set, only half of it. The rest Plant sang differently but still in their original tuning.

Ok I know this thread is about being honest, but let's be fair to Axl. Less than a year ago he was working on a much stronger voice. There were still hiccups in his voice on some songs, but he started to find a pretty damn good voice leading up to the gov. Ball.

Nighttrain from June in Kansas was great! It's one example of how strong he had gotten his voice again.

Now I think Axl got lazy and quit singing from August until this current tour. Which caused the lapse in voice this tour. But if he can keep singing consistently going into vegas I think he might pull off some much better performances. If he can rasp a paradise city in full then I'll say it's a success! Yes expectations may not be high, but I don't think all is lost with his voice. I don't see 2010 coming back but I can see him minimizing his Mickey performances in Vegas.

I have to say, I watched this again and just now and I can't believe how great he sounds from 1:50 on, especially compared to just about every other Nightrain since Rio '11. Nightrain was also pretty damn good at the Atlantic City; slow start like at this Kansas show, but once he got going it was fantastic:

I think the Kansas '13 show is more impressive though because it seemed after Bridge School/Vegas '12 his voice got even worse than before, but here he puts on an Atlantic City/Philly '12 level performance.

Ok I know this thread is about being honest, but let's be fair to Axl. Less than a year ago he was working on a much stronger voice. There were still hiccups in his voice on some songs, but he started to find a pretty damn good voice leading up to the gov. Ball.

Nighttrain from June in Kansas was great! It's one example of how strong he had gotten his voice again.

Now I think Axl got lazy and quit singing from August until this current tour. Which caused the lapse in voice this tour. But if he can keep singing consistently going into vegas I think he might pull off some much better performances. If he can rasp a paradise city in full then I'll say it's a success! Yes expectations may not be high, but I don't think all is lost with his voice. I don't see 2010 coming back but I can see him minimizing his Mickey performances in Vegas.

I have to say, I watched this again and just now and I can't believe how great he sounds from 1:50 on, especially compared to just about every other Nightrain since Rio '11. Nightrain was also pretty damn good at the Atlantic City; slow start like at this Kansas show, but once he got going it was fantastic:

I think the Kansas '13 show is more impressive though because it seemed after Bridge School/Vegas '12 his voice got even worse than before, but here he puts on an Atlantic City/Philly '12 level performance.

Holy crap, where was THAT guy the other night?! Not just the voice but everything. THAT is Axl.

• Like 1

This paper has as aim to demystify something that afflicts many fans of Guns N 'Roses. After all, what would have happened to the vocalist Axl Rose?

While Axl has a good tone (2nd baritone), it can be stated that most of the time he sang out of his vocal range, often accompanied by the use of a very dangerous vocal technique for those who do not have total control of it, the rasp. Perhaps the biggest mistake of his career was to have used excessive rasp without first studying the technique.

Many singing teachers refuse to teach rasp, because the probability of the student doing incorrectly is very large. The truth is, of course, singing tends to use the rasp through the canyon, when in fact it should be carried through the soft palate - sing with the rasp through the canyon is suicide - but it is very difficult to do it properly, it is difficult to perform the technique by means of the soft palate, so much that most of the singers who used to rasp impaired voice long term.

You can name a few rock singers who have total mastery of this technique, singers like Ronnie James Dio, for example, dominated masterfully.

At first, the rasp train is through audiology exercise called fry, which besides correcting the posture of the vocal fold, allows the practitioner gradually bring the rasp to get the soft palate, taking it out of the throat and preventing damage future ace vocal cords. Besides the fry, there are other important for those who want to learn to sing rasp sustainably exercises. Just look for a competent singing teacher and he will demystify the technique to the student.

The fact is that, to use the rasp without prior study of technique, Axl severely damaged his vocal chords. Even in 1993 shows, we could already see Axl with a much weaker than in previous years' voice.

The rasp resulted in nodules (calluses) on the vocal chords of Axl. Possibly, this was the main reason for having so many years without Axl sing live, between 1994 and 2001.

Between 1997 and 1999, he recorded most of the vocals on the live album Live Era in the studio and it was a noticeable change in his voice, but was still recognizable and the rasp was still there, overdosed, it is true, but it was there.

In 2000, he played Dead Flowers with Gilby Clarke and his voice was still recognizable, he was still enjoying the rasp.

Anyway, after this presentation with Gilby, Axl decided to undergo a surgery for the removal of these nodules. This type of surgery have as a repair, and calluses of the vocal chords leave the cleaner voice, and the rasp (strident, hoarseness) voice is dissipated briefly.

Exactly for this reason that in 2001, just one year after singing with Gilby and after the infamous surgical procedure, Axl showed up at the House of Blues and Rock in Rio, as well as throughout 2002 tour, singing with a cleaner voice, having been forbidden by doctors to use rasp, otherwise you could incur irreparable damage to your voice.

As no longer had the power the rasp gave him, Axl is forced to enhance other features such as the head voice, which has never been as consistent as the chest voice, moreover, also enhanced the use of belting.

Technically, Axl had improved, but the rasp was and is very much needed for several Guns songs since Axl dwelt fans of Guns N 'Roses to hear him sing with him.

About that time followed closely resembles that Axl was bombarded by criticism by the new way of singing, and perhaps this was the main reason for the cancellation of the 2002 tour.

Tired from criticism of his voice on tour 2001/2002, in 2004, he did another surgery, this time to give greater depth to his voice, after this procedure, its got a little more treble and deep bass, giving the false impression that his voice would have recovered the stridency of previous years.

Contrary medical advice, Axl went back to using rasp in 2006, but his voice did not externava more natural stridency as in the past. Many times, he sounded hoarse, stressed, superficial and without the scope of yore.

Many people define as Axl sang well or not because he has used rasp or not, but singing is not only used rasp. Several factors have to be analyzed, extent, projection, depth, vibrato, head voice, chest voice, belting, etc..

Returning to use rasp, it was clearly noticeable that he suffered at the shows, you could see his veins pop out of the canyon and some feared for his health, but adored the sound that his voice was producing, recalling again, vaguely true, the past. But it was not healthy, Axl never sang in a sustainable manner.

In 2010, he sang many sets well because he started to abuse the rasp, using it on every song, but I repeat, singing is not only rasp. Even with the rasp, Axl found himself out of tune even more than in 2002, when he did not use the rasp, but it remained tuned in good part, as can be seen in songs such as The Blues and Madagascar.

But truth be told, although not healthy for him, it was spectacular for the fans, the voice that echoed Axl in 2010, because maybe it was the year in which his voice was closer to the heydays. This does not mean that it was very good as such. Importantly, even in its heyday, Axl's voice has never been characterized by technology, but by the power the rasp gave him, it was by that feeling that Axl conquered fans.

Yes, it is true that many songs from Guns are, say, different and strange without rasp. But this is because Axl fans have accustomed to it, while he did not think long term.

He worked hard in 2010 to keep up the entire tour using the rasp, but as stated earlier, did not sing in a sustainable way, and it was noticeable that he used the rasp through the canyon and not the soft palate, which proves that perhaps he has not found a teacher who had the courage to teach him the rasp properly after their surgeries, for which he was subjected.

There is also evidence that, in addition to vocal chord nodules, throughout his career, Axl has also had laryngopharyngeal reflux, same problem which affected numerous vocalists such as Edu Falaschi, for example.

It is possible that with every effort made between 2006 and 2010, Axl has acquired new nodules on his vocal chords, and that because of this, it has drastically reduced the use of the rasp since 2011, having its apex in 2014, where his voice is clean most of the time during shows.

But unlike 2002, today Axl no longer have the breath that had at that time, so he can not support and sustain the notes, as he could in 2002, therefore, today his voice sounds worse than in 2002, it sounds wound up and without support.

As a result, the tendency is that the set list for the coming years brings up only songs that are his original fabric, ie, songs that have him sing only with the chest voice, songs like You Ain't The First, Mr Bronwstone, Bad Obsession, Knockin 'On Heavens Door, Don't Cry, Doule Talkin Jive, Down On The Farm, It's So Easy, So Fine, etc..

In the studio, you can see him struggling through the rasp to present a result to remember its heyday on the next albums, but even on Chinese Democracy, it is noticeable that he drastically reduced the use of the rasp. In proportion, as his voice sounds more technical, it does not sound as powerful anymore.

Axl himself acknowledged in an interview on That Metal Show, which exaggerated the recording some songs in the studio, as You Could Be Mine, for example. He said he thought: "And now? How will I sing it live without damaging my voice?" He did not think the long term, but in general it was worth it, because using his voice under the effect of rasp, even without the necessary technique to use it, the guy has spectacular songs.

But here the question begs: What Axl could do to re-submit satisfactory results in stages?

Well, first, he could slim down, giving himself more breathing space for live performances. Losing weight would mean more endurance, ie, he could improve his live performance, which would help for him to keep a good support at times when needed to achieve higher grades.

Secondly, he could study in depth the technical rasp with an expert teacher, and use it correctly and sustainably. He'd need to find a balance between all the vocal techniques, a balance between the head voice, the chest voice and rasp, and not to compromise its future. There's no need to sing with or without rasp all the time, but he needs to find a balance.

Thirdly, he could undergo a surgical procedure called Voicelift, which is responsible for the rejuvenation of the vocal chords procedure. Singers like Steven Tyler and David Coverdale have already undergone this procedure a few years ago.

So if you're rock vocalist or intend to be, and intend to use rasp while singing, study the technique carefully, take good care of your voice, avoid the cliche of drinking and smoking, be disciplined and keep up to date about human anatomy, especially in regard to the muscles of the vocal chords.

http://whiplash.net/materias/biografias/200844-gunsnroses.html

Wow, extremely interesting stuff!
  • Like 3

He has real low moments which now seems to be a part of and then blasts of competent balance in all aspects of his voice, I just don't get what causes it. We, most of us, root for the guy and know he's capable of aeons beyond what most guys, especially us, are capable of, but when he sounds off the difference is marked and severe. We exaggerate it because we're the nutcase GNR fans who give a shit enough to spend hours debating tiny details online but I'm sure Axl would do that for Zeppelin or Queen if they had net back in the day.

Here's the WTTJ from that Kansas show, almost 2010-calibre:

Much, much better than the WTTJ at the Abu Dhabi show I went to a couple of months before (though this itself is much better than WTTJ at the Golden Gods and most of 2014):

Though the SCOM from that Kansas show is a bit weak:

tl;dw: Still capable of greatness.

2013 was good. That Kansas nighttrain was great! I remember when that tour started we had someone come back on here after the show and say,"Axl went 2010 on nighttrain" the videos rolled in and it wasn't quite there but he nailed it in Kansas later on. The night before the Kansas show he was in Lubbock and I've posted this a few times but paradise City was the best of 2013 here. Still some clean parts but plenty of rasp also.

The performance of You're crazy at the Brooklyn bowl still blows my mind. I know he's good on that song but it sounded like the freakin studio recording.

In lubbock again I saw him do something I've never seen on Estranged in recent times...I know you guys hate when people do this but from 8:12 till the finish he nails it. So much range in his voice and rasp.

He was great on the whole tour. I think the 2nd half of Estranged in Kansas sounded great for the most part, but it was all leading to the gov ball and he just sounded ok at the gov ball. I think he over did it on the tour. They were playing night after night across the country. Then the shows in canada in August began and his voice was way off. So 2013 was showing some great progress on the summer tour but I think he over did it a bit and relapsed. I still think he has it, but at the same time I worry he's hurting himself.

• Like 1

Yeah, Axl's voice isn't shot or completely gone.

Weird comparison, lol, but Boy George's voice is "shot". He lost his higher register, not that

he ever had range approaching Axl just using him as an example.

Axl can still get to there, he just can't sustain it with any sort of consistency.

2013 was good. That Kansas nighttrain was great! I remember when that tour started we had someone come back on here after the show and say,"Axl went 2010 on nighttrain" the videos rolled in and it wasn't quite there but he nailed it in Kansas later on. The night before the Kansas show he was in Lubbock and I've posted this a few times but paradise City was the best of 2013 here. Still some clean parts but plenty of rasp also.

The performance of You're crazy at the Brooklyn bowl still blows my mind. I know he's good on that song but it sounded like the freakin studio recording.

In lubbock again I saw him do something I've never seen on Estranged in recent times...I know you guys hate when people do this but from 8:12 till the finish he nails it. So much range in his voice and rasp.

He was great on the whole tour. I think the 2nd half of Estranged in Kansas sounded great for the most part, but it was all leading to the gov ball and he just sounded ok at the gov ball. I think he over did it on the tour. They were playing night after night across the country. Then the shows in canada in August began and his voice was way off. So 2013 was showing some great progress on the summer tour but I think he over did it a bit and relapsed. I still think he has it, but at the same time I worry he's hurting himself.

I guess its just possible I don't like his voice anymore. I went to the part you mentioned in Estranged and I thought he sounded bad. Not awful, but not good. He still does mickey, he still can't hold the notes, he's still warbling in and out. And I'm not trying to not like it. I just really don't think he sounds good there, and either I'm missing something or people have vastly different opinions here.

http://youtu.be/kdL-GrcpVu8

http://youtu.be/EZWA9tVaCEg

I guess its just possible I don't like his voice anymore. I went to the part you mentioned in Estranged and I thought he sounded bad. Not awful, but not good. He still does mickey, he still can't hold the notes, he's still warbling in and out. And I'm not trying to not like it. I just really don't think he sounds good there, and either I'm missing something or people have vastly different opinions here.

Idk I mean I didn't think he was in and out of Mickey on that last part of estranged. When he says "dieeee" his voice goes from low to high...and he holds that note excellent. In fact he takes that note from low to high and back to low to finish the song. It was quite impressive. I'm not sure what you were expecting, but maybe I have lower expectations than you. Edited by IncitingChaos

This paper has as aim to demystify something that afflicts many fans of Guns N 'Roses. After all, what would have happened to the vocalist Axl Rose?

While Axl has a good tone (2nd baritone), it can be stated that most of the time he sang out of his vocal range, often accompanied by the use of a very dangerous vocal technique for those who do not have total control of it, the rasp. Perhaps the biggest mistake of his career was to have used excessive rasp without first studying the technique.

Many singing teachers refuse to teach rasp, because the probability of the student doing incorrectly is very large. The truth is, of course, singing tends to use the rasp through the canyon, when in fact it should be carried through the soft palate - sing with the rasp through the canyon is suicide - but it is very difficult to do it properly, it is difficult to perform the technique by means of the soft palate, so much that most of the singers who used to rasp impaired voice long term.

You can name a few rock singers who have total mastery of this technique, singers like Ronnie James Dio, for example, dominated masterfully.

At first, the rasp train is through audiology exercise called fry, which besides correcting the posture of the vocal fold, allows the practitioner gradually bring the rasp to get the soft palate, taking it out of the throat and preventing damage future ace vocal cords. Besides the fry, there are other important for those who want to learn to sing rasp sustainably exercises. Just look for a competent singing teacher and he will demystify the technique to the student.

The fact is that, to use the rasp without prior study of technique, Axl severely damaged his vocal chords. Even in 1993 shows, we could already see Axl with a much weaker than in previous years' voice.

The rasp resulted in nodules (calluses) on the vocal chords of Axl. Possibly, this was the main reason for having so many years without Axl sing live, between 1994 and 2001.

Between 1997 and 1999, he recorded most of the vocals on the live album Live Era in the studio and it was a noticeable change in his voice, but was still recognizable and the rasp was still there, overdosed, it is true, but it was there.

In 2000, he played Dead Flowers with Gilby Clarke and his voice was still recognizable, he was still enjoying the rasp.

Anyway, after this presentation with Gilby, Axl decided to undergo a surgery for the removal of these nodules. This type of surgery have as a repair, and calluses of the vocal chords leave the cleaner voice, and the rasp (strident, hoarseness) voice is dissipated briefly.

Exactly for this reason that in 2001, just one year after singing with Gilby and after the infamous surgical procedure, Axl showed up at the House of Blues and Rock in Rio, as well as throughout 2002 tour, singing with a cleaner voice, having been forbidden by doctors to use rasp, otherwise you could incur irreparable damage to your voice.

As no longer had the power the rasp gave him, Axl is forced to enhance other features such as the head voice, which has never been as consistent as the chest voice, moreover, also enhanced the use of belting.

Technically, Axl had improved, but the rasp was and is very much needed for several Guns songs since Axl dwelt fans of Guns N 'Roses to hear him sing with him.

About that time followed closely resembles that Axl was bombarded by criticism by the new way of singing, and perhaps this was the main reason for the cancellation of the 2002 tour.

Tired from criticism of his voice on tour 2001/2002, in 2004, he did another surgery, this time to give greater depth to his voice, after this procedure, its got a little more treble and deep bass, giving the false impression that his voice would have recovered the stridency of previous years.

Contrary medical advice, Axl went back to using rasp in 2006, but his voice did not externava more natural stridency as in the past. Many times, he sounded hoarse, stressed, superficial and without the scope of yore.

Many people define as Axl sang well or not because he has used rasp or not, but singing is not only used rasp. Several factors have to be analyzed, extent, projection, depth, vibrato, head voice, chest voice, belting, etc..

Returning to use rasp, it was clearly noticeable that he suffered at the shows, you could see his veins pop out of the canyon and some feared for his health, but adored the sound that his voice was producing, recalling again, vaguely true, the past. But it was not healthy, Axl never sang in a sustainable manner.

In 2010, he sang many sets well because he started to abuse the rasp, using it on every song, but I repeat, singing is not only rasp. Even with the rasp, Axl found himself out of tune even more than in 2002, when he did not use the rasp, but it remained tuned in good part, as can be seen in songs such as The Blues and Madagascar.

But truth be told, although not healthy for him, it was spectacular for the fans, the voice that echoed Axl in 2010, because maybe it was the year in which his voice was closer to the heydays. This does not mean that it was very good as such. Importantly, even in its heyday, Axl's voice has never been characterized by technology, but by the power the rasp gave him, it was by that feeling that Axl conquered fans.

Yes, it is true that many songs from Guns are, say, different and strange without rasp. But this is because Axl fans have accustomed to it, while he did not think long term.

He worked hard in 2010 to keep up the entire tour using the rasp, but as stated earlier, did not sing in a sustainable way, and it was noticeable that he used the rasp through the canyon and not the soft palate, which proves that perhaps he has not found a teacher who had the courage to teach him the rasp properly after their surgeries, for which he was subjected.

There is also evidence that, in addition to vocal chord nodules, throughout his career, Axl has also had laryngopharyngeal reflux, same problem which affected numerous vocalists such as Edu Falaschi, for example.

It is possible that with every effort made between 2006 and 2010, Axl has acquired new nodules on his vocal chords, and that because of this, it has drastically reduced the use of the rasp since 2011, having its apex in 2014, where his voice is clean most of the time during shows.

But unlike 2002, today Axl no longer have the breath that had at that time, so he can not support and sustain the notes, as he could in 2002, therefore, today his voice sounds worse than in 2002, it sounds wound up and without support.

As a result, the tendency is that the set list for the coming years brings up only songs that are his original fabric, ie, songs that have him sing only with the chest voice, songs like You Ain't The First, Mr Bronwstone, Bad Obsession, Knockin 'On Heavens Door, Don't Cry, Doule Talkin Jive, Down On The Farm, It's So Easy, So Fine, etc..

In the studio, you can see him struggling through the rasp to present a result to remember its heyday on the next albums, but even on Chinese Democracy, it is noticeable that he drastically reduced the use of the rasp. In proportion, as his voice sounds more technical, it does not sound as powerful anymore.

Axl himself acknowledged in an interview on That Metal Show, which exaggerated the recording some songs in the studio, as You Could Be Mine, for example. He said he thought: "And now? How will I sing it live without damaging my voice?" He did not think the long term, but in general it was worth it, because using his voice under the effect of rasp, even without the necessary technique to use it, the guy has spectacular songs.

But here the question begs: What Axl could do to re-submit satisfactory results in stages?

Well, first, he could slim down, giving himself more breathing space for live performances. Losing weight would mean more endurance, ie, he could improve his live performance, which would help for him to keep a good support at times when needed to achieve higher grades.

Secondly, he could study in depth the technical rasp with an expert teacher, and use it correctly and sustainably. He'd need to find a balance between all the vocal techniques, a balance between the head voice, the chest voice and rasp, and not to compromise its future. There's no need to sing with or without rasp all the time, but he needs to find a balance.

Thirdly, he could undergo a surgical procedure called Voicelift, which is responsible for the rejuvenation of the vocal chords procedure. Singers like Steven Tyler and David Coverdale have already undergone this procedure a few years ago.

So if you're rock vocalist or intend to be, and intend to use rasp while singing, study the technique carefully, take good care of your voice, avoid the cliche of drinking and smoking, be disciplined and keep up to date about human anatomy, especially in regard to the muscles of the vocal chords.

http://whiplash.net/materias/biografias/200844-gunsnroses.html

Wow, extremely interesting stuff!

REALLY interesting stuff! Thank you!

• Like 1