Signs that a band is becoming stale

bacardimayne

Are you actually denying the fact that The Beatles (et al) did not play a major part in the 'album revolution', and did not, instigate psychedelia?

No, that's not what I said at all.

I said they didn't invent the genres of music they were playing.

I do not think there were too many people playing psychedelia before Revolver and Sgt Pepper.

Not in Western music, no.

• Like 1

To expand on Doom's idea..

When they get Rick Rubin to produce their comeback album, and claim it's a "return to their roots" when in reality it's just stripped down shit that sounds nothing like they actually sounded in their heyday.

Rick Rubin is a stupid dwarf but 13 is a good album

Not sounded like their heyday?

LOL, man

35 years passed since 1978 (and that was not even their heydays)

If you want to their original sound go listen to the classic albums

Edited by Crash Diet

When they get Rick Rubin to produce their comeback album, and claim it's a "return to their roots" when in reality it's just stripped down shit that sounds nothing like they actually sounded in their heyday.

LOL, man

13 is an awful generic album that sounds nothing like Black Sabbath. Just sterilized shitmetal with decent riffs.

• Like 1

LOL, man

13 is an awful generic album that sounds nothing like Black Sabbath. Just sterilized shitmetal with decent riffs.

I gotta say I don't know how I feel about 13. It kinda left me a bit cold. It wasn't terrible, but it didn't strike me as a record they really put their hearts into.

I actually preferred Ozzy's last album.

Just listen to classic Sabbath songs like NIB and tell me there's anything on 13 that comes close in terms of style.

Complete garbage.

I know what you mean. Classic Sabbath had power and conviction. It felt epic. War Pigs, Symptom Of The Universe, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Megalomania....

Most of 13 just felt like an epic bore.

Just listen to classic Sabbath songs like NIB and tell me there's anything on 13 that comes close in terms of style.

Complete garbage.

Pretty much.

Age Of Reason and Damaged Soul are OK...that's about it for me...and I'm a big Sabbath and Ozzy fan.

It feels like every song was psycho man with a bit lifted off a classic Sab number tacked on...Ozzy seems to basically be singing the same song over and over again and it's all very tired.

The Devil You Know kicks it's ass.

I'm in the minority, but I really liked Ozzy's Osmosis album and direction- I think that's the kind of music his heart is into instead of doom, gloom, plod, boom...Down To Earth was half decent but everything since then has been utter shit IMO.

Complete garbage.

Pretty much.

Age Of Reason and Damaged Soul are OK...that's about it for me...and I'm a big Sabbath and Ozzy fan.

It feels like every song was psycho man with a bit lifted off a classic Sab number tacked on...Ozzy seems to basically be singing the same song over and over again and it's all very tired.

I'm in the minority, but I really liked Ozzy's Osmosis album and direction- I think that's the kind of music his heart is into instead of doom, gloom, plod, boom...Down To Earth was half decent but everything since then has been utter shit IMO.

Did you listen to Scream? I thought that was his best album since No More Tears.

Yeah, I think it's awful (sorry)... not a fan of nu metal / Korn bass on Ozzy Osbourne albums, and after Ozzmosis (which was a high point for his vocals) he doesn't put any effort into singing IMO.

Zakk Wylde's playing has become too much for me to handle too.

Edited by DR DOOM

Yeah, I think it's awful (sorry)... not a fan of nu metal / Korn bass on Ozzy Osbourne albums, and after Ozzmosis (which was a high point for his vocals) he doesn't put any effort into singing IMO.

Life Won't Wait was a great song, c'mon??

Edited by Towelie

ya when 13 came out, my buddy was ranting and raving about how good it was. I gave it a listen or two, I was unimpressed....

Metallica hasn't had a good album since the black album (some would argue even before that).

Ozzy has been garbage since Randy died imo, Bark at the moon maybe, but once we get to shot in the dark, I'm out....

Van Halen's last album had moments of greatness, like other have said it's because it literally is their old shit. But still some songs on it (stay frosty) just seem a little forced imo. But she's the woman and blood and fire are fucking perfect.

Genre hopping can be a good thing though. What if the Beatles had remained a bubblegum cover band for their entire careers?

Genre hopping? Two words: David Bowie.

metallica are poster childs for genre hopping gone bad following every single fad. IE load/reload(alt rock shit) st anger(nu metal shit) then jumping back into thrash when thrash became popular again with death magnetic.

another way i can tell is when a band just stops trying anything new and just starts with the repetitive song structures/themes. a band this reminds me of is in flames.

You know I think that Load is where their hearts are really at, I think that stuff was pretty "honest" and would probably have preferred them to stick to what they wanna do instead of "back to the classic thrash" (that they can't quite do anymore) to appease the fans.

i dont know i felt the load albums were really half assed and slapped together, i felt their was some good ideas(bleeding me kicks ass) that would have been much better if they would have fleshed them out more. i do agree i would much rather listen to a load type album than death magnetic, where it seems like their brains were on auto pilot :lol:

How about the dreaded covers album???

That's never a good sign.

or even worse...... the christmas album :nervous::nervous::nervous:

That's usually at the point where they hit rock bottom. Everyone knows they have a problem, but they have to scrape the depths of the gutter before they will admit it to themselves.

scottweiland.jpg

Nobody sings White Christmas with as much passion as a coke addict.

yup lol

lynyrd-skynyrd-christmas-time-again-spv0

twisted-christmas.jpg

you know twisted sister hit rock bottom. not only did they do a christmas album, but in come all ye faithful they rip themeselves off and use the same solo as "were not gonna take it" :facepalm:

That's because of the comparisons between We're Not Gonna Take It and Oh Come All Ye Faithful. Dee Snider explained it once a few years ago when he had a radio show. (I'm assuming he doesn't have the show anymore)

LOL, man

Now sir, you're officialy a fucking tone deaf hipster :monkey:

Complete garbage.

Yeah, it's a shame too that Axl not record an another AFD :rolleyes:

the back to the roots thing is just marketing

Edited by Crash Diet

Complete garbage.

Pretty much.

and you call yourself a Sabbath fan

facepalm

You obviously don't know their catalog, lol

Btw Ozzmosis is the last good Ozzy album for me (I mean a whole album, new albums got a few good tracks but overall generic albums)

BS is going to ban you guys

I hope so that 13 haters get a ban

Edited by Crash Diet

Guest Len B'stard

Genre hopping can be a good thing though. What if the Beatles had remained a bubblegum cover band for their entire careers?

They were writing their own stuff since their mid teens man, they were never just a 'bubblegum' cover band.

The Beatles were as innovative in 1963 as they were in, 1969. Everybody followed the Beatles' lead (sans Dylan perhaps), not, the reverse. I was recently reading Brian Wilson's book and he was saying how Rubber Soul, gave him the shits essentially, and he tried to do a similar thing with Pet Sounds. The Byrds, The Stones (Satantic Majesty, probably the lamest rip-off in rock history), Hendriix (listen to the studio experiments).

• Like 1

How can you tell when a band is getting stale?

A big clue for me is when they start referencing their old songs in their lyrics

Examples:

Metallica - St. Anger (Fuck it all and no regrets I hit the lights on these dark sets..)

Aerosmith - Legendary Child (Took a big chance at the high school dance..)

When they release one album in 20 years and tour constantly