Signs that a band is becoming stale

bacardimayne

I remember listening to Alice Cooper Goes To Hell for the first time and thinking...uh oh.
I remember listening to Aerosmith Night in The Ruts for the first time and thinking...uh oh
I remember listening to Zep In Through the Out Door for the first time and thinking..uh oh
I remember listening to The Who Face Dances for the first time and thinking..uh oh

I could go on, there's so many...maybe not so much stale, but, maaaan it's over.

• Like 1

I remember listening to Alice Cooper Goes To Hell for the first time and thinking...uh oh.

I remember listening to Aerosmith Night in The Ruts for the first time and thinking...uh oh

I remember listening to Zep In Through the Out Door for the first time and thinking..uh oh

I remember listening to The Who Face Dances for the first time and thinking..uh oh

I could go on, there's so many...maybe not so much stale, but, maaaan it's over.

At least Alice has released some killer albums since Goes To Hell.

Groghan. I'm giving you big ups to your post.

I mean, for all intents and purposes, Load and Reload are not that bad albums. Do they suffer from having filler tracks? Probably, I still need to listen to Reload, but I had those issues from Load. I didn't had any issues with it not being thrash/heavy metal. I think Metallica did what they felt like doing at the time and they succeeded albeit at the risk of alienating fans, but it's a risk they wanted to take to see what sort of surface they can unveil which resulted in some decent songs (Wasting My Hate, Ain't My Bitch, King Nothing, Until It Sleeps, etc.).

Also, Bran. I get what you mean. Metallica pretty much fits a lot of examples when dealing with topics like these and they sometimes unfortunately get chastised for some of the decisions that they made in the last 20 years or so. It's like they can't win in that sense no matter what they do.

i know a lot of fans are like that and kind of just accepted that, but at the same time if death magnetic(to me) was great i would be first in line to praise it. the same goes with the new black sabbath album. it sucks when you have to say one of (in sabbath's case my favorite) band made a bad album and half assed album(to me). in the sabbath case i just think the magic of ozzy era sabbath is gone creatively.

I agree that for Sabbath and Ozzy, the magic is gone, creatively speaking.

The only reason Iommi and Geezer are back with Ozzy is because RJD has passed away, I sincerely doubt they enjoy playing the Ozzy setlist every show opposed to what they performed with Ronnie.

Iommi and Ozzy do not like each other (despite what they say) and Ozzy gets a free pass because he is Ozzy, his live vocals have been atrocious for a good while now...which makes his comments towards Bill Ward even harder to swallow because even if Bill was in the band Ozzy would still be the weak link.

• Like 1

Iommi/Martin/Butler/Ward album and tour plz. The gigs Bill Ward played on the Cross Purposes tour were fucking amazing, possibly my favorite Sabbath lineup besides Iommi/Dio/Butler/Appice.

would love to see martin back with sabbath or ian gillan.

• Like 1

Gillan or Hughes for me, I do like Tony Martin but after a couple of songs in a row his voice just shits me off (Cross Purposes being the exception for the most part)

Really? Cross Purposes is my second least favorite Martin album. Least favorite if we can agree to forget Forbidden ever existed.

Gillan or Hughes for me, I do like Tony Martin but after a couple of songs in a row his voice just shits me off (Cross Purposes being the exception for the most part)

Really? Cross Purposes is my second least favorite Martin album. Least favorite if we can agree to forget Forbidden ever existed.

what is forbidden :P

• Like 1

I love ITTOD!

Carelsumbra aside, In Through The Out Door is a great fucking album.

I've always sort of been alone on this, but Presence is far and away my least favorite Zep album. Its only redeeming factors are literally Nobody's Fault and Achilles to me. Every other album, including ITTOD is fantastic.

Otherwise Zint is right about the other artists.

I love Carouselambra, and In Through The Out Door...definitely not a band going stale IMO.

I have to agree that Presence is probably their weakest album.

I also like Alice Cooper Goes To Hell a lot too :shrugs:

And on Sabbath, Forbidden does have one good song on it (Kiss Of Death) and some redeeming qualities, despite being a bit of a turd Iommi brings it.

Cooper Goes To Hell isn't terrible. Half of it is great. The other half is really horrible (Gotta Dance, I'm Always Chasing Rainbows). I believe thats the right album. It also doesn't help that that album is surrounded by better albums, namely Welcome To My Nightmare and From The Inside, which are most genius IMO.

Who Are You I've always thought is a truly horrible album, minus the incredible title track.

As an Eagles fan, The Long Run was a terrible album. They were right to break up when they did.

Heh, I like it all (...Goes To Hell) - amusingly I have a lower opinion of Lace and Whiskey and From The Inside :P

In the end though, it would have been nice for Alice and Ezrin to put Hunter, Wagner, Prakash John and Whitey Glan to better rocking use than they did.

Alice died with Nightmare. That album was a masterpiece and then nothing else was ever as good. I love From The Inside, but thats got an Elton John kind of feel. Its not so Alice.

The rest of his albums are pretty hit or miss.

Problem is, he could never follow the Alice Cooper Group, and he had a momentary second with Nightmare where it seemed like he could.

Alice died with Nightmare. That album was a masterpiece and then nothing else was ever as good. I love From The Inside, but thats got an Elton John kind of feel. Its not so Alice.

The rest of his albums are pretty hit or miss.

Problem is, he could never follow the Alice Cooper Group, and he had a momentary second with Nightmare where it seemed like he could.

When you put it like that it's hard to argue with-the Alice Cooper Group was "the shit" :headbang:

• Like 1

Reading (some of) this thread, I can't believe people actually got through listening to 13 and A Different Kind of Truth. I listened to like half of 13 and two songs from ADKOT. Generic shit.

i didn't like ADKOT at all, but me and you are probably in the minority :lol:

For me ADKOT is VH's 2nd worst album (III is the worst). But despite it's low ranking, She's the woman and Blood and fire are great VH tunes. It's the rest of the album that doesn't feel quite right imo. You and yer blues is not bad, and overall Eddie is playing great on that album, really on fire. But the majority of the songs feel rushed or could have used a different producer imo. I always point to stay frosty, it's not a bad song, but something doesn't feel quite right. I think it's the arraingement could have used a tweaking. Which that is how I feel about most of the album. But the strength of those two songs I mentioned really bring the whole album up into the "good" catagory, but not great imo. But to be fair, the last "great" VH album imo was 5150, it's the last one I like from start to finish, along with all of the early Roth albums. But even an album like Balance, which also only has a couple of good songs imo, the good songs on that album are pretty damn great, while the good songs on ADKOT are very good, they are not great imo. So yes ADKOT is the 2nd worst VH album imo, but it is still a good album, as is VH 3. This band has never released a bad album, they just haven't released as great album since 5150 imo.

Carelsumbra aside, In Through The Out Door is a great fucking album.

I've always sort of been alone on this, but Presence is far and away my least favorite Zep album. Its only redeeming factors are literally Nobody's Fault and Achilles to me. Every other album, including ITTOD is fantastic.

Otherwise Zint is right about the other artists.

I gotta disagree here. Carouselambra is awesome, and I think Presence is a fantastic album. Mind you, it's my favourite Zeppelin album and I know I'm in the minority there, so I know not too many will share my opinion :P

Death Magnetic is a good album but there's a lot of filler and weaker rehashing to please the fans... it's still enjoyable but there is a certain lingering sense of parody within the music... Suicide and Redemption is awesome and That Was Just Your Life is furious, Cyanide and End of the Line sound different but things like The Day That Never Comes, My Apocalypse and Broken Beat and Scarred I feel uneasy with. Judas Kiss is way too plodding but it's a progressive sound at least.