The motivational thread

Lithium

Do you have a big test tomorrow? Or are you heading to a job interview later this afternoon? Maybe it's just an ordinary day, and you need a little boost? In this thread we'll share encouraging and motivational pictures, videos, texts, etc., that gets you going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM_7j6t9IyU

your-life-does-not-get-better-by-chance-

20120525-110839.jpg

214dwxv.jpg

Edited by Lithium
  • Like 1

What other motivation do you need than the realisation of your goals, your dreams? :huh:

As if some random video from a complete stranger, targeted to no-one in particular is going to have a greater impact on my personal determination than the thought in my head that "this is it, if I don't carry this bit over the line after all the effort I've put in, I'm back at square one".

Fuck those 'quotes' and motivational speeches. Just remind yourself what you're here to do on this earth and get it done. If you can't convince and motivate yourself to achieve your own goals, what hope does some random stranger with a quote or speech have?

What other motivation do you need than the realisation of your goals, your dreams? :huh:

As if some random video from a complete stranger, targeted to no-one in particular is going to have a greater impact on my personal determination than the thought in my head that "this is it, if I don't carry this bit over the line after all the effort I've put in, I'm back at square one".

Fuck those 'quotes' and motivational speeches. Just remind yourself what you're here to do on this earth and get it done. If you can't convince and motivate yourself to achieve your own goals, what hope does some random stranger with a quote or speech have?

People are motivated by different things. But yes, fuck them for having different triggers for motivation than you do...

Seriously though, it is fantastic that you can just click you fingers and be motivated but not everyone is like that. Some people like to read inspiring quotes from people who have strived to be the best they can be as an extra push to go above and beyond.

Edited by Tater Totts
  • Like 1

Guest Gunns

That's kind of an ignorant view of the world,

why do people listen to music at the gym? to motivate themselves to train harder, lift heavier, run longer etc, to reach their goals, could they get their without it? sure/perhaps/not likely

Why do amateur artists go to art exhibitions? To be motivated to work harder, improve their skills, draw inspiration (which mostly goes hand in hand with motivation, those that are inspired can draw motivation from that and work harder)...

Even things such as film, tv, etc can motivate people to do things for the better, become a better person, triumph over their failures in life etc, motivation for a lot of people is drawn upon their experiences as well as from their genetic makeup, however for a lot of other people, motivation is extrinsic and they draw energy and motivation from those people, arts, etc that are around them in this world.

People are motivated by different things. But yes, fuck them for having different triggers for motivation than you do...

Seriously though, it is fantastic that you can just click you fingers and be motivated but not everyone is like that. Some people like to read inspiring quotes from people who have strived to be the best they can be as an extra push to go above and beyond.

Its not about clicking your fingers. its about time management. I have a problem with people who sit back and take it easy for days/weeks/months/years on end and then when crunch time comes go "oh shit! I don't know if I can do this! I'm fucked!" When all they needed to do was apply themselves EVERY DAY (a little bit) and remind themselves every day (a little bit) of what their goals are and do something that will take them towards that goal. It's all about time management and a willingness to sacrifice a small portion of your day (or often just a small portion of your week) towards to your end goal.

But then, I was one of those students that got working on my assignments as soon as the brief was handed to me. I didn't leave it to the last minute and cram it all in the night before. I didn't leave studying for an exam to the night before or even the week before. I was baffled by those kids who did that. And then they wondered why they failed!

Obviously nobody should be criticized for seeking motivation if they need it, but fortunately I've always had naturally high levels of drive. The only motivation I really need is visualizing my future self.

'Motivational' videos or statements make me cringe. But again, that's just me. It's important to note that those who source motivation can be more successful than those who rely entirely on their own mental strength.

Edited by NGOG

why do people listen to music at the gym? to motivate themselves to train harder, lift heavier, run longer etc, to reach their goals, could they get their without it? sure/perhaps/not likely

Why do amateur artists go to art exhibitions? To be motivated to work harder, improve their skills, draw inspiration (which mostly goes hand in hand with motivation, those that are inspired can draw motivation from that and work harder)...

Even things such as film, tv, etc can motivate people to do things for the better, become a better person, triumph over their failures in life etc, motivation for a lot of people is drawn upon their experiences as well as from their genetic makeup, however for a lot of other people, motivation is extrinsic and they draw energy and motivation from those people, arts, etc that are around them in this world.

That's an uninformed opinion of 'inspiration'. No artist goes to another art exhibition to 'motivate' themselves. They go because they're actually INTERESTED in what others are doing. It has nothing to do with THEIR work or their pay check. In fact most artists are very careful to not draw 'inspiration' from other artists for fear that it will influence their work too much and will be marked as plagiarism. I know of many designers and artists who actively refrain from viewing the work of contemporaries so as to avoid any 'influence'. Ask any truly creative person (not a copyist) where they get their 'inspiration' from and not one will tell you from another artist/designer. Ask any creative person where they get their 'motivation' from and they will tell you a need, a desire to create.

And music at the gym? It's not motivation. The motivation is the goal for one's body, the physical benefits, the mental achievement. The music is just a tactic to keep you moving. It's definitely not motivation.

I was a crammer and a HD student. It worked for me just fine.

But not everyone's brains can do that. Some people need more time, you know.

No, that's true, but I was a crammer too and I got my degree. It's just how I work. I need a sharp deadline, otherwise I postpone things. It's always been that way and I won't change anymore. It is what it is and I can function and perform perfectly fine :shrugs:

Obviously nobody should be criticized for seeking motivation if they need it, but fortunately I've always had naturally high levels of drive. The only motivation I really need is visualizing my future self.

'Motivational' videos or statements make me cringe. But again, that's just me. It'a important to note that those who source motivation can be more successful than those who rely entirely on their own mental strength.

Just curious what you use in the gym when you have a bad day and need to push through and finish a set? Always thought motivational speeches from people like Arnold would be good for that.

I was a crammer and a HD student. It worked for me just fine.

But not everyone's brains can do that. Some people need more time, you know.

No, that's true, but I was a crammer too and I got my degree. It's just how I work. I need a sharp deadline, otherwise I postpone things. It's always been that way and I won't change anymore. It is what it is and I can function and perform perfectly fine :shrugs:

Totally understand. It's the same for me. I need that pressure of the last minute to make me focus fully and give my best.

I wish I was just like you.

• Like 1

Guest Gunns

That's an uninformed opinion of 'inspiration'. No artist goes to another art exhibition to 'motivate' themselves. They go because they're actually INTERESTED in what others are doing. It has nothing to do with THEIR work or their pay check. In fact most artists are very careful to not draw 'inspiration' from other artists for fear that it will influence their work too much and will be marked as plagiarism. I know of many designers and artists who actively refrain from viewing the work of contemporaries so as to avoid any 'influence'. Ask any truly creative person (not a copyist) where they get their 'inspiration' from and not one will tell you from another artist/designer. Ask any creative person where they get their 'motivation' from and they will tell you a need, a desire to create.

And music at the gym? It's not motivation. The motivation is the goal for one's body, the physical benefits, the mental achievement. The music is just a tactic to keep you moving. It's definitely not motivation.

Way to miss the whole point,

so no one is ever motivated by any of the things I've mentioned? everyone's born with an inherent motivation to reach their goals from day 1? all they need to do is remind themselves that they are alive and lucky to breathe in air each day as you basically put it?

'Motivational' videos or statements make me cringe. But again, that's just me. It'a important to note that those who source motivation can be more successful than those who rely entirely on their own mental strength.

Just curious what you use in the gym when you have a bad day and need to push through and finish a set? Always thought motivational speeches from people like Arnold would be good for that.

I don't have any motivational speeches on my music device - nor do I listen to such speeches in my own time. I just listen to extremely powerful orchestra pieces during my training; which above any other music form, really gets my adrenaline going.

• Like 1

Broski's motivational quote:

We all wish we could be like you.

We'd all like to know who you are.

Guest Gunns

I wonder if the people that are born with debilitating diseases just look in the mirror and say to themselves 'all i need to do is be thankful that I can breathe everyday and I will reach my goals" or do they draw inspiration from those that have been in the exact same position , and have triumphed over their setbacks, and are thus motivated to get though any boundary that lay before them.

hmmm....

It's amazing how she doesn't realize why 90% of the forum hates her.

I wonder if the people that are born with debilitating diseases just look in the mirror and say to themselves 'all i need to do is be thankful that I can breathe everyday and I will reach my goals" or do they draw inspiration from those that have been in the exact same position , and have triumphed over their setbacks, and are thus motivated to get though any boundary that lay before them.

hmmm....

Interesting point.

It'a important to note that those who source motivation can be more successful than those who rely entirely on their own mental strength.

I agree. But motivation for most really successful people rarely comes from deliberately contrived 'motivational speeches/videos/quotes'. It comes from the most random experiences that are really personal for the person involved, that 'light bulb' moment that occurred completely randomly. It might be something as heavy as the death of a loved one, a certain experience with a loved one, or something as light as a particular experience with a stranger on the street, a connection with a complete stranger, an experience with nature, a musical experience, anything that set a light bulb off in ones head, there's hundreds of 'life experiences' that count as motivation to achieve something. But a contrived 'statement', or even worse a 'motivational video' will rarely be the instigator to anyone achieving anything in their life.