What is your favorite Illusions?

What is your favorite Use your Illusion  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They're both very subpar overall, but UYI II has the best GNR song (Estranged) so I'll go with that one.

coma is a better song than estranged
Coma is overrated.

estranged is extremely overrated : it's boring and way too long.

moreover, the video is a complete joke.

Edited by supercool

YCBM and Locomotive is the best songs from the UYI's (and maybe 14 years too)
UYI I had November Rain. Everyone name that song on the best GNR songs list, but i think NR is extremely cheesy until the end outro solo part

Edited by Crash Diet

They're both very subpar overall, but UYI II has the best GNR song (Estranged) so I'll go with that one.

Coma is overrated.

Criticizes Estranged for being too long. Prefers a song that's almost a minute longer. Yup, everything checks out here.

Coma is overrated.

Criticizes Estranged for being too long. Prefers a song that's almost a minute longer. Yup, everything checks out here.

supercool is a monkey, so...

UYI I is a more rocking album and it has my favorite GN'R song of all time on it, that being November Rain, so I voted for that one. But really the Illusions are their best albums overall so it's hard to choose.

Right Next Door to Hell

Dust N' Bones

Don't Cry

Perfect Crime

November Rain

Don't Damn Me

Bad Apples

Coma

Civil War

14 Years

Yesterdays

Breakdown

Locomotive

Pretty Tied Up

Estranged

You Could Be Mine

My favorite songs from both albums.

Coma is overrated.

estranged is too long because it's boring, i don't mind if a song is 20 minute long if it's inspirational and entertaining.

i've always considered that those who like estranged have a bad musical taste. :shrugs:

Edited by supercool

It's

Dust n Bones vs 14 Years

LALD vs KOHD

DC vs DC (alt.)

Back of Bitch vs YCBM

November Rain vs Estranged

Coma vs Locomotive

For the most part I prefer the second songs on that list except for Don't Cry and I can't decide between Coma and Locomotive as well as between BOB and YCBM.

All in all it's a slim decision and hard to choose while all that songs are classics but there isn't any song of UYI I that can mess with Civil War of UYI II

And then you have Breakdown and Yesterdays, that really great blues rockers, against some straight rockers like Perfect Crime and Don't Daimn Me which I like as well very well and it depends on my mood which I prefer

Garbage are songs like Shotgun Blues and So Fine on the one side as Garden of Eden, Bad Obsession and Bad Apples on the other. I don't count My Wolrld and You Ain't The First while YATF is a song at least...

I'll go with Use Your Illusion II

Coma is overrated.

estranged is too long because it's boring, i don't mind if a song is 20 minute long if it's inspirational and entertaining.

i've always considered that those who like estranged have a bad musical taste. :shrugs:

There are so many signs of trolling in your posts here, yet I almost get the sense you're serious.

Estranged is the best piece of music this band has produced. I might go as far as to say that it's the only truly exceptional song GNR has done along with Prostitute.

What you said about Estranged is pretty much how I feel about Coma. While there are certain parts that I like, I hardly ever listen to the full song. It's full of itself, cheesy and has those lame sound effects. I don't see how anyone could consider it better music than Estranged. Is it just because it's "heavy" and Estranged has piano? Come the fuck on. Enough with all this "true rocker" shit already. It's 2014.

Coma is overrated.

Did you know that NR and Estranged and Don't Cry WAS a one song composition for the UYI's originally?

So this means Axl and the band got shitty musical taste, lol

Also, Matt Sorum is responsible for the cheesiness

What if I use that sort of a phrase as pieces of the song, almost like a melody that would work into the song structure." If you listen to "November Rain," I go (singing onomatopoeia), that fill. And I do that fill about 20 times in that song. It's also a thread through "Don't Cry," and "Estranged," which were originally all one song. It's basically a trilogy of songs that all fit together. People ask, "Why'd you use that same fill so much?" Well, that was the whole thought process behind it - it was a way to tie them together. That was my part in tying enough songs together to make it one voice.

I worked on the arrangements for those songs, the way they broke down and the dynamics. The band wasn't really that dynamic when I joined. It was a rock band, like "Go for it." Just loud. "When we're on, it's loud." [Laughing] And I came from an orchestral upbringing and classical music - I was in wind ensemble. I sounded crazy to them: "We need pianissimo instrumental right here and mezzo forte right here." And they'd go, "What?!?"

Pianissimo means "quiet." And here we're doing mezzo forte. That means "medium loud." Now, we're going to go double forte here, which means, Okay, go back to your regular volume. I would explain all these sections to the band, and I said, "This needs to be a journey, you need to take people on a journey to this song."

So that's what we did on "November Rain."

We got into a discussion about it. "It needs a breakdown here, it needs to go..." And that's the kind of shit I did to the band. So if you listen to the Use Your Illusion records, they're a complete departure from Appetite. Appetite was this straight rock & roll album with this sort of gang punk attitude. When I came in, Axl wanted to take it up a notch. He really wanted to be like bands like The Stones or Queen or Led Zeppelin, which dabbled in a lot of different styles of music through their careers. Especially The Stones, who did country and reggae.

Axl was like, "Why can't we do that? Why do we have to make these rock albums all the time?" So we really got into just doing what we wanted. The record label wasn't around, and in those days we were so big, we didn't really listen to anybody. We could do 10-minute long songs. It was beautiful. It was amazing. We could do what we wanted and get away with it.

http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/matt_sorum/

Enough with all this "true rocker" shit already. It's 2014.

Some words for you, Mr. Hipster: It's 2014. And you're posting on a rock bands forum. Once a true rock band

Oh and btw in 2014 mostly DJ Ashba's ruled the world now. Just like in the 80's. Poser fags

Edited by Crash Diet

RNDTH - YCBM

DNB - 14 Years

LALD - KOHD

DC - DC

Perfect Crime - Breakdown

YATF - My World

Bad Obsession - Pretty Tied Up

Back off bitch -

Double Talking jive - Civil War

Nov Rain - Estranged

The Garden - Yesterdays

Garden of Eden -

Don't Damn Me - Get in the Ring

Bad Apples - So Fine

Dead Horse - Shotgun Blues
Coma - Locomotive
It seems for me it's all-tied up for the most part.
I'd probably take the UYI II tracks in blue over the faster ones off UYI I.
Edited by wasted

Some words for you, Mr. Hipster: It's 2014. And you're posting on a rock bands forum. Once a true rock band

Oh and btw in 2014 mostly DJ Ashba's ruled the world now. Just like in the 80's. Poser fags

What the fuck does this even mean? You think you'd learn English by now...

@crashdiet : so what if estranged, nr and don't cry was just one song? :huh:

i still prefer coma and i still dislike estranged (i don't like nr and don't cry either, they're cheesy).

get over it.

@broskirose : estranged is not the best piece of music by this band. the prostitute mention was funny. were you trolling ? :lol:

Edited by supercool
  • Like 1

I feel UYI 1 is more consistent but UYI2 has the better songs in that top 5 songs of both albums and UYI2 wins. Still there's 14 songs on each and I just can't decide lol.

16 songs on UYI 1

• Like 1

Went with UYI II but love both! Tough decision :(

It gave me an idea though and just made my own version of all the best songs in one album, so thanks :)

I also realised as much as I prefer UYI II, it has way more filler! Here's my mix, don't judge until you listen to it yourself :)

YCBM

Dust N' Bones

Civil War

Yesterdays

Double Talkin' Jive

Don't Cry (Original)

Perfect Crime

November Rain

14 Years

The Garden

Estranged

Locomotive