What are some of your hobbies?

Guest NGOG

I collect spores, molds, and fungus.

This reminds me of when I cultivated bacteria from mould on the heated floor of the communal bathroom where I was living in the early days of being a student. I made my own agar petri dishes in the kitchen by recycling old petri dishes from the lab course I attended and boiling agar broth using agar from exotic grocery stores. That hobby was not very popular with my flatmates. I don't think they shared my joy of sitting at the toilet and looking at the amazing diversity of the microbial flora found in a gram of earth as expressed through a multitude of bacterial colonies of various shapes and colours. When my microbiology professor heard of this he gave me my own lab bench at the university where I could continue. Apparently, he was afraid I would risk end up cultivating some of the nastier strains found in soil, like Bacillus anthracis and accidentally kill everyone living in that flat.

• Like 1

Apparently, he was afraid I would risk end up cultivating some of the nastier strains found in soil, like Bacillus anthracis and accidentally kill everyone living in that flat.

Ah, the old accidental cultivation of Bacillus anthracis problem? Pfft, we've all been there I'm sure! :lol: