Axl Rose: After all, what's wrong with your voice?

Gibbo

this article was posted in heretodaygonetohell as i said there,i think its full of bullshit, 2 chords surgery LOL.

I think he has polyps ,but i think he has blown his voice,his chords are damaged becuase of alcohol and many other things and he is a fat old guy.

HE IS DONE-

I don't get that Axl had surgery against medical advice either. Not without searchin out the top doctors in the field.

I mean,didn't he do just that,when he injured his foot at the start of the Illusions tour?Didn't he have like some of the top sports doctors working on his foot?

I don't buy it when it's said he had vocal chord surgery against medical advice.

If this is a supposed article explaining the change in Axl's voice and it doesn't contain the word "falsetto", it's garbage.

Falsetto and head voice are used interchangeably by many people, which is incorrect. For the longest time I was mistaken about it as well. But overall I think the article makes sense. He sang EVERYTHING in his head voice in 2010 since he had no higher mid range in his modal voice. Singing too low in a head voice will rip you up.

OH MY GOD!!! I'm sick of these "his voice is gone" threads!! You wanna know why his voice his gone? I'll tell ya in a very simple way.

Think about this - What happens to a guitarist tat plays for 5 years a lot and then stops playing for another 5 years? HE FORGETS HOW TO PLAY.

Same shit with his voice!! Axl's voice is gone because he DOESN'T PRACTICE. There, I did it for you, now close this shit.

They don't forget how to play, they become physically unable to play. If you're a weightlifter and regularly lift and then stop, and go back and try again, you haven't forgotten proper technique, you just can't do it because you're not in proper shape to do it.

The improper singing method they talk about is a large contributing factor I think.

Here's my issue... The vocals on most CD songs were recorded in 1998/1999... At the same time as the Live Era material, and most of those are clean while live era is raspy.

The re-recorded parts of Live Era are done in Axl's "new" voice.

Ik, but they still have rasp, and they were recorded at the same time as the vocals on the early CD demos, which did not.... That makes me lean towards him being able to control rasp.

HEY AXL!!!

Yeah I don't think Jagger could ever loose his voice, since you know, he's nothing special. He's no Plant, Axl, Mercury, Cornell, Buckley, etc. these guys will be noticeable if they have a bad performance or lost their voice because they reached heights that most singers can't.

Jagger not so much.

OH MY GOD!!! I'm sick of these "his voice is gone" threads!! You wanna know why his voice his gone? I'll tell ya in a very simple way.

Think about this - What happens to a guitarist tat plays for 5 years a lot and then stops playing for another 5 years? HE FORGETS HOW TO PLAY.

Same shit with his voice!! Axl's voice is gone because he DOESN'T PRACTICE. There, I did it for you, now close this shit.

Osaka '07 - Taipei '09 - 2.5 years - improvement

New York '02 - New York '06 - 3.5 years - massive improvement

Abu Dhabi '10 - Rio '11 - 8 months - massive drop

Excellent thread. Hopefully it can stay on the technical analysis side of things, and less on the shitty, snidey Mickey Mouse nonsense.

I could not give a fuck if Axl sounds below average in a bunch of shows I'm not at.

All that matters to me is that he sounds decent on the next studio release.

Still yet to hear evidence of this supposed 'awesome/raspy 2010' voice - I thought he sounded great in 01/02, controlled breathing, longer screams but you all regard it as a 'mickey' period (Nightrain from Pukkelpop is an example but shouldn't overshadow that period).

Axl can't sing like he did back in the day, we know that & can't expect it - after spending the last few days watching & comparing Axl & GNR throughout the years I guess I'm just grateful he's on a stage!! I'm glad ppl enjoy whatever it is now, but it's not for me - I'm here to talk previous versions of GNR & in the hope that I'll hear more from the ChiDem sessions. That is all.

Edited by robin2002

Still yet to hear evidence of this supposed 'awesome/raspy 2010' voice - I thought he sounded great in 01/02, controlled breathing, longer screams but you all regard it as a 'mickey' period (Nightrain from

Youtube 2010 O2 or Arnhem or Puerto Rico...basically anything.

Nice Boys and Rosie O2.

• Like 1

Still yet to hear evidence of this supposed 'awesome/raspy 2010' voice - I thought he sounded great in 01/02, controlled breathing, longer screams but you all regard it as a 'mickey' period (Nightrain from

Nice Boys and Rosie O2.

Credit where credits due - just checked out Nice Boys from 02 im 2010, and yeah he sounded really good, guess that's just gonna annoy me more now though.. Where did that voice & fire go fron there?

I've asked before, but what are the best 2010 gigs to check out - bear in mind am not a fan of DJ or BBF so I'm looking for Axl vocal performances that'll prove this 2010 voice everyone talks up.

Edited by robin2002

Nice Boys and Rosie O2.

Credit where credits due - just checked out Nice Boys from 02 im 2010, and yeH he sounded great, guess that's just gonna annoy me more now though.. Where did that voice & fire go fron there?

I've asked before, but what are the best 2010 gigs to check out - bear in mind am not a fan of DJ or BBF so I'm looking for Axl vocal performances that'll prove this 2010 voice everyone talks up.

Bucharest. The whole show is available in very good quality recording and the performance is pretty much perfect. I'm sure someone else can provide a link.

Otherwise, try the second link in my sig for some awesome performances from 2010.

Nice Boys and Rosie O2.

Credit where credits due - just checked out Nice Boys from 02 im 2010, and yeah he sounded really good, guess that's just gonna annoy me more now though.. Where did that voice & fire go fron there?

Do you mind mp3s? I'll upload a bunch from itunes if you want. I finish work in about 5 hours.

Bucharest is indeed superb but there are awesome things throughout the year. There's an If The World from Toronto where he just sings the shit out of it, adding extra vocals in the breakdown and then this friggin awesome scream when he comes back in. Check it from 4:18 - 4:45. It's just a completely different guy from the other night, not just vocally but it's like having the old Axl back. Just listen to the whole song, he's on fire.

• Like 1

His voice just gave out on him. They told him in the 90's his style of singing wouldn't last and that's why we've only seen in in segments over the last 4 years. It's a miracle it's still there.

The last spark of Axl's original singing voice came in 2006. 2010 took too much effort. 06 was a lot of voice for minimal effort while 10 was a lot of voice for a ton of effort.

Two difficult songs for Axl to sing, but in 06 everything was effortless. The voice was much more natural, it was sustainable, there was nothing forced about it.

The shit he pulled in 2010 was unreal. It took a ton of effort, you could see it on his face when he would sing. There was nothing sustainable about that. I think he caused more damage in that one year than he did in all of 01-09.

Vocal surgery might have been possible?..who knows. Idk why Axl would go along with a tour so soon after though. That would be some poor judgment on his part. I don't think he had surgery though. I think his voice just gave out. He hasn't recovered fully since. Partly because he's out of shape and partly because he can't sing in that effortless 06 style without sounding like Mickey.

• Like 1