You Could Be Mine

Yo Marc!

I remember being really surprised back in the day to see the lyrics "With your bitch slap rapping and cocaine tongue" in the liner notes for Appetite, several years before the Illusions ever came out.

But it looks like You Could Be Mine was never played during the Sunset Strip days, nor the Appetite/Lies tours. It didn't debut until after the Illusions had been recorded.

I was just wondering if you had any recollections of that song before its official release. As far as I know, it was never played live and any pre-Appetite demos never surfaced.

Do you remember hearing this song back then? I really wonder how complete it was at the time of AFD's recording, or if it was just a lyric Axl liked at that point.

Just a few quotes I have on the song:

Duff: We don’t do drugs - but we do drink a lot. A lot of the drug rumors about us started because we have a song called 'Cocaine Talking' on the album. But that song’s not about us or our experiences with the drug. If you listen to the lyrics, it’s about how all these nice young girls in L.A. can’t do anything before they do their coke. The song’s definitely not a pro-cocaine song. It’s about how the shit really fucks up your head [Hit Parader, October 1988]

This quote above is really weird. Duff talks about a song titled "Cocaine Talking" which I believe was an early name for You Could Be Mine. He says it is on the album, and I believe he is talking about the next album set to be released. He is also a lying bastard :D

Slash: Recounting the first preproduction session to Appetite for Destruction: We booked ourselves time at S.I.R. studios with Mike [Clink] at the board, the band felt free to be ourselves; at our very first preproduction session, we started writing what would later become 'You Could Be Mine.' (...) We weren't in there to write new material, but we were so comfortable that it just came to us [bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York. p. 166-167]

Slash: 'You Could Be Mine' was another track that wasn't new: it was written during the Appetite sessions and I always felt that it should have been on that album, because it is more reminiscent of that time than anything else on the Use Your Illusion albums [bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York. p. 299]

Slash: That song, and Perfect Crime, we started writing when we were doing pre-production for Appetite. You Could Be Mine was one of Izzy's riffs, and as always with Izzy, he woulc play something and it would catch me ear, and I'd play along, but in my own sort of style. [...] That song didn't change at all [when they recorded it for UYI] apart from the fact that I used a tremolo bar [Double Vision, Total Guitar Magazine, July 2011].

• Like 1

Slash: That song, and Perfect Crime, we started writing when we were doing pre-production for Appetite.

That is interesting as they played it live on 31st October 1986 and that, loosly, is around the time they were in pre-production for Appetite (Septemberish 1986).

Slash: That song, and Perfect Crime, we started writing when we were doing pre-production for Appetite.

That is interesting as they played it live on 31st October 1986 and that, loosly, is around the time they were in pre-production for Appetite (Septemberish 1986).

No they didn't play it live at the UCLA gig. They played Perfect Crime that night.
  • Like 1

can someone PLESE paraphrase / explain

"With your bitch slap rapping and cocaine tongue you get nothing done"

to the non natives?

I'll take a guess

It loosely means, when your girlfriend is driving you nuts and youre high on cocaine, you get nothing done.

Hey Marc, any idea who You Could Be Mine might be about???

It didn't debut until after the Illusions had been recorded.

I was just wondering if you had any recollections of that song before its official release. As far as I know, it was never played live and any pre-Appetite demos never surfaced.

They played it in Rio 6 months before it was released and I felt it had a bit more of an AFD feel to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUNgsuaYP6Q

I think it means what Duff mentioned in a quote from up above.

Girls bitching and shit and having to do their coke before they can do anything else.And how it fits in with the song. You(those girls) could be mine,if it wasn't for your bitchy little ass,whining and complaining about no having coke(bitch slap rapping and you cocaine tongue).

Does anyone know who wrote that line and why it's in the liner notes of Appetite? As others have said, I always assumed the song was already written, hence the reference on Appetite. But if it was not yet written, that line was obviously. Why was it included then? Justv curious.

• 2 months later...

Despite the song name, I think in the Duff quote posted earlier he is referring to My Michelle.

I always wondered if the last part of YCBM was written later, since although you can interpret it a number of ways, it always reminded me of the situation that was going on with Adler at the time & trying to get the new album out :

While you're breakin' down my back n'

I been rackin' out my brain

It don't matter how we make it

'Cause it always ends the same

You can push it for more mileage

But your flaps r' wearin' thin

And I could sleep on it 'til mornin'

But this nightmare never ends

Don't forget to call my lawyers

With ridiculous demands

An you can take the pity so far

But it's more than I can stand