~MYGNRFORUM EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH AXL'S FORMER MANAGER, MR. CRAIG DUSWALT!~

Craig: Beta is a very dear friend. We’ve talked for hours at a time over all the years. We have each been a sounding board for each other and she was very helpful when I was working with Axl in the last year that I was there.

But I haven’t heard this — is she the band’s manager now? Damn, I’m really out of the loop.

Beta is such a dear friend and he does not know she is his manager for whatever years???? :o :huh:

I do not know the answer to this, perhaps he has not spoken to her in a few years?

• Like 1

Nice work GG, interesting read.

In terms of the content, this is another great example of the kind of moral-free bottom-feeders that follow Axl & many other celebs around.

Dude was Axl's PA a decade ago and still runs seminars for financial gain off his name. Who the fuck has heard of that other band? He's fooling no-one, least of all Axl, with that one.

And his 'dear friend' beta has managed guns for years. That's ancient news to me, maybe I should write a retarded book about my years as a guns insider with access to all the info Axl's staff didn't have.

I wonder if he'd still get invited backstage now? Does his BFF and her team condone this shit he's pulling?

Nice work GG, interesting read.

In terms of the content, this is another great example of the kind of moral-free bottom-feeders that follow Axl & many other celebs around.

Dude was Axl's PA a decade ago and still runs seminars for financial gain off his name. Who the fuck has heard of that other band? He's fooling no-one, least of all Axl, with that one.

And his 'dear friend' beta has managed guns for years. That's ancient news to me, maybe I should write a retarded book about my years as a guns insider with access to all the info Axl's staff didn't have.

I wonder if he'd still get invited backstage now? Does his BFF and her team condone this shit he's pulling?

Are you referring to Air Supply?

I got it today from the library and read it cover to cover in one afternoon.

Its full of interesting stories i've never heard and since he was Axl's guy 24/7 for 3 years, he gives you the scoop.

ANY G N R fan will enjoy this book. Its a very easy read and has plenty of funny parts in it.

He confirmed in there how the documentary crew was with them the entire time, and how that footage has to be worth millions sitting in some vault somewhere.

I figure he knows more about Axl then and now, than anyone possibly could.

Check this out!

http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-My-Jungle-Unauthorized-Wallabies/dp/1939529808/ref=la_B00GK9E5TW_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1399610605&sr=1-1

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ruthblatt/2014/05/27/how-being-late-and-volatile-was-axl-roses-contribution-to-the-guns-n-roses-brand/

If you were one of the millions of people who saw Guns N’ Roses perform on the Use Your Illusion Tour in the early 1990s, you are well familiar with the sense of danger that made the show so exciting. You were in for a rock n’ roll concert and possibly much more.

For example, at a show in Stockholm, the band didn’t take the stage until after 11:00 p.m. Then singer Axl Rose insulted the audience. “If you’re bored,” he told them, “You should’ve saved your money and gone and seen the fireworks tonight.” Which is where he had been instead of at the show. A few days later in Copenhagen, he stopped the show for 15 minutes because an audience member had thrown a firecracker onto the stage. At a show in St. Louis, Rose got worked up about a fan with a video camera, threw his microphone down, and stomped off the stage. The crowd rioted and tore the building apart, racking up more than $200,000 in damages.

According to Craig Duswalt, who was Axl Rose’s personal assistant during the Use Your Illusion tour, that sense of danger verged on panic behind the scenes. “There was a sense of urgency at every show. Is Axl going to come? Is he going to be on time? What time are we getting there?” Duswalt recalls. Duswalt is the author of a new memoir, Welcome to My Jungle: An Unauthorized Account of How a Regular Guy Like Me Survived Years of Touring with Guns N’ Roses, Pet Wallabies, Crazed Groupies, Axl Rose’s Moth Extermination System, and Other Perils on the Road with One of the Greatest Rock Bands of All Time.

63a306f1709b9ecc438f930d3e4906bb.jpg

Axl Rose, lead vocalist of Guns N’ Roses performing during their concert in Bangalore, India. (AP Photo/Aijaz Rahi, file)

Duswalt claims that Rose’s behavior was never caused by disrespect to the fans. “The myth is that they’re always late, they don’t care about their audiences, their fans, because they go on late,” Duswalt told me. “But the reality is they do care about their fans, so much so that Axl wanted to put on the best show possible. That’s why sometimes he was late because he was not ready to go at the drop of a hat. He had to prepare and sometimes it took longer for him to get into the mindset to put on what he feels is the best show.”

The mindset that Rose had to get into was in fact a state of frenzy, because he carried the weight of delivering the Gun N’ Roses experience on stage. And that experience was all about intensity, danger, violence and mayhem. It was what the fans came for. Axl Rose told journalist Mick Wall in 1990, referencing prize fighter Mike Tyson’s biography Bad Intentions, “I relate what I do to what Tyson says about when he punches someone in the head. He says he imagines hitting ‘em so hard his fist knocks their nose bone right back into their brains. He says when he goes in the ring he does it with bad intentions. Well, that’s like me getting ready to start something, like going onstage. And you gotta make sure when you knock ‘em down they stay down.” Turning the rage on or off was not always easy.

Another myth that Duswalt confronts in his book is that Guns N’ Roses partied all the time. “Don’t get me wrong, they partied,” he says. “But, before a show, Axl would warm up for an hour in the shower doing vocal exercises. He would get a massage, he would get adjusted by a chiropractor. He would tape up his ankles because he ran around so much. He prepared for two-and-a-half to three hours before a show. And then after each show he would go back into the shower and warm down his voice for a half hour.” Not surprisingly, a recent study revealed that Axl Rose has the widest vocal range of any popular music singer, wider even than Adele or Mariah Carey.

Duswalt now conducts seminars and workshops for entrepreneurs and small business owners. One of the lessons he teaches them from his days with Guns N’ Roses is that no matter how successful they are, they have to maintain and update their skills and they have to be extremely disciplined. “These rock stars are at the top of their game and they still do the basics every single day. That’s what we have to do as business people as well.”

Axl Rose’s lateness and onstage volatility wasn’t just about him entering his onstage character. It was also about maintaining the brand. “Guns N’ Roses were known as the bad boys in rock n’ roll,” Duswalt says, “And a great marketing thing is that they were very good at being the bad boys in rock ‘n’ roll.” In his workshops, Duswalt uses Guns N’ Roses to teach the importance of writing a mission statement and sticking to it. “They said, ‘We’re just going to be the baddest boys in rock n’ roll,’ and they certainly acted like it. And that’s what attracted people. Even if you didn’t like Guns N’ Roses, people came to their concerts to see what was going to happen because so many things went wrong at the concerts. Is Axl going to do the whole show. Is he going to stay on stage? Is he going to run off stage and leave? Is there going to be a riot tonight? People wanted to see the spectacle of it as well.”

• Like 1

I always knew Axl was the backbone to GNR. Everyone that knew GNR and Axl back in the early days said as much.

I think everyone that has a gift gets nervous especially if they play to thousands of people most nights. it's got to make you a little crazy sometimes.

I also think since Slash and Duff were either stoned or high, it was left up to Axl to make sure the show was perfect, which is sad, because nothing is ever perfect.

If you love seeing your favorite people live, you should expect some mistakes and just move on.

The bottom line is you're never going to please everyone and I think Axl can accept that better now that he's older.

State of Frenzy. Album title.

That's what I always thought, not just get Axl's voice ready but get ready to face that crowd and deliver again for 3 hours, go through every emotion of every song. again..

• Like 1