2006 tour is the Best Axl has been and ever will be

I think both were awesome. You have good and bad shows from both but I thought Axl had a better range in 2006 and more breath to go along with it. I actually like the light rasp when it's accompanied by a bigger singing range. Reminded me more of 87 Axl where 2010 reminded me of 92 Axl.

I think it goes like this:

2001-2002 Great for nuGuns because they were playing new material and promoting the new band
2006-2007 Great for nuGuns because Axl returned in great shape both psychically and vocally
2009-2010 Great for nuGuns because Axl returned with even slightly better vocals
2011-2014 lol

2001-2002 Great for nuGuns because they were playing new material and promoting the new band

2006-2007 Great for nuGuns because Axl returned in great shape both psychically and vocally

2009-2010 Great for nuGuns because Axl returned with even slightly better vocals

2011-2014 lol

I'll agree with everything, though I would almost put 2011 in the category before it. He still had some drive and good sound to him then. The East Rutherford and Camden shows I went to were great.

2006 was the epitome of what "old" Axl should be, and what I would somewhat expect him to be. Older and looks different, but still has a modern vibe going on, and looks badass too. People might have made fun of the braids, but I still 100% said he pulled them off well (at least when he had them pulled back in 06/07). Other than that, what was Axl getting bitched at or made fun of for in 2006? No one was calling him fat or saying he was washed up. He wasn't trying to re-create his old image or look like he was stuck in the 90s or anything. He had matured and changed his look and still looked like one hell of a badass Axl Rose. If he was pictured with a girl or a model or something, people didn't laugh at it, they complimented it really. He was one of the celebs we would post a picture to in comparison and say "Yeah, that other guy looks like shit for his age, but look at how good Axl looks!" The dude was amazing at that time and was pretty much everything I could have wanted in a front man for my favorite band at the time. His voice might not have been absolutely perfect, but for the most part, on nearly every song, he sounded very good. It's stuff like Rock am Ring or the Los Angeles gig from that time that I want to show to people now and be like "Check out this show from last week, dude!".

Don't get me wrong, I still love Guns N' Roses and Axl, but I'd be a liar if I said I wouldn't be more excited not only in the lull times, but for upcoming shows and just about everything, if things were still like they were in 2006. Looks and sound-wise.

I understand things and people change, but had he just been able to stick with this look and feel, I think a lot of the shit around here wouldn't exist.

Fuckin' 2006.

This.

2011-2014 lol

I'll agree with everything, though I would almost put 2011 in the category before it. He still had some drive and good sound to him then. The East Rutherford and Camden shows I went to were great.

Those are great vocals indeed. Imagine if he performed like this every show these days.

2006 was the best nuGuns got for me. Axl was on fire, in shape, vocally on point, and seemed like he had something to prove to the world. He was cool again. I really wish CD would've come out then instead of 2008, because I think things would've been way different than they've been if it had.

2006 was the best nuGuns got for me. Axl was on fire, in shape, vocally on point, and seemed like he had something to prove to the world. He was cool again. I really wish CD would've come out then instead of 2008, because I think things would've been way different than they've been if it had.

Interesting to think what ChiDem would have been in 2006. It's almost certainly a fact that Shackler's wouldn't have been on it, because Axl alluded that the inspiration for the lyrics came from the VTech shootings of 2007. I get the feeling the vocals for Sorry came around late '06/early '07, so I don't think that track would have been on the album, either. Maybe Atlas Shrugged and Berlin in their place?

I think 2006 was certainly the high point for nuGNR. Robin and Brain are far better than DJ and Frank. Axl was in top shape and his voice was all power (I prefer it over the rasp). There's no arguing that 2010 was his most consistent nuGNR year though.

Saying that 2006 was better than 1987-1993 is fucking stupid though.

axl was looking and sounding great in 2006 but the best ever? every performance from 87-93 is better than any one from 01-14.

Sure

Every YCBM performance from 2006/2010 is better than this.

"Performance" in this instance is denoting the quality of Axl's voice, not whether or not the microphone is turned on or not.

The breakdown is nothign about the mic, poor breath, poor tune.

Apart from the mystique and excitement of the first new GnR lineup in the early 00's, 2006 is by far the best era of the new band. If only Ron had more time to get the stuff down like he had in the 2010+ years, THAT band was perfect. Finck, Bumble, Fortus, Brain (Frank later) etc etc. Hope of a new album, new songs being played, Axl being in good shape physically and vocally and Izzy/Bach dropping by occasionally to add some element of surprise. I miss that.

The Ashba years have saddened me. The staleness and the half assed nature of how the band is operating is a shame. Still, I cling to the hope that nothing other than the CD era stuff is released, it would break my heart to have THIS band (aka Ashba) release an album :(

• Like 1

Apart from the mystique and excitement of the first new GnR lineup in the early 00's, 2006 is by far the best era of the new band. If only Ron had more time to get the stuff down like he had in the 2010+ years, THAT band was perfect. Finck, Bumble, Fortus, Brain (Frank later) etc etc. Hope of a new album, new songs being played, Axl being in good shape physically and vocally and Izzy/Bach dropping by occasionally to add some element of surprise. I miss that.

The Ashba years have saddened me. The staleness and the half assed nature of how the band is operating is a shame. Still, I cling to the hope that nothing other than the CD era stuff is released, it would break my heart to have THIS band (aka Ashba) release an album :(

Which is all the more reason that we BADLY need to 10 disc Chinese Leftovers 1998-2008 Box Set

chinese_take_out_carton.gif

• Like 1

Well Bumble practically told us he played a solo on Atlas, presumably over Brian May's and he knows nothing more about it and he's been in the band for aeons now and is always pissed off at the lack of progress so those leftovers are still precisely that. Great productivity Axl has... his talent is high but his output is diabolical, he has nothing to prove and don't need the money but what the hell does he do with his spare time?

i don't get the "there's a lot of mickey in 2006"...

There's way more mickey mouse in 2010 than in 2006.

2006 shows were way more consistent than 2010.

2010 tour Axl had a lot of mickey in the start (Leeds and Reading) and in the last shows (Australian Tour).

Common misconception. Reading was bad, Leeds was as good a 2010 show as you could hope to find.

I don't really post anymore, but still lurk around. This thread has brought up so many good memories for me. I was right out of high school at the time and knee deep in excitement for CD. The 2006 concerts were my proof to all of my naysayer friends that NuGN'R was a force to be reckoned with. The stream of leaks and constant buzz about the album being around the corner made for some truly exciting times on this board.

A shame it turned out the way it did, but I'll never forget seeing them at Inland Invasion in 2006. One of the greatest nights of my life. (Once the rioting stopped and the show got started.)

Regardless of the current state of the band, I'm happy that I had a great year of live shows to watch in '06 and a great album in '08.

2006 was a year full of buzz on guns, since they started european leg of the tour. As a whole i consider 2006 as one of Axl's finest years, period! imagewise, as a band, robin finck on lead(and dropping the half skinhead look;)), to me guns n roses looked like a band back then, compared to now. Saw them in oslo 2006, and ive never witnessed that good of a show ever, THAT VOICE., god!!!

Back then the members didn't seem to lick Axl's bum and tread on eggshells around him half as much as what happens now. Maybe it was the anticipation of CD and the genuinely good shows but the difference between then and now is astrofuckingnomical

I been watching youtube videos of the 2006 tour that where proshot and I have to say that Axl had the best tour of his life in 2006!!!

His vocals where very consistent during the whole tour and his physical shape was amazing.

The only time I can think of that he sounded that good was in late 87 and very early 88 he was only missing the rasp back then at the shows I went to.

Yes mickey mouse did happen but it wasn't bad and he had alot of power and he also had the rasp but did not over do it like in the UYI days and the 2010 tour.

Some will say vocally 2010 was better but I think he had way too much rasp, I love how he mixed the clean vocals with the rasp in 2006 it was a perfect fit.

Axl in 2010 was not near as fit as he was in 2006, he was all over the place in 06 not just on the ego ramps.

My only complaint with the 06 lineup was Robin he was very hit and miss live but that was common for him.

Take Download early on that concert looked like it was headed for disaster but they won the crowd over by mid show or so and it looked everyone there was having a blast.

RAR IMHO was one of the best shows of 06. Jungle was just so intense. Also the LA shows are very good.

Here is a video from that show which I think is one of the best live versions of Nightrain.

My favorite performance from 2006 (and particularly, Nighttrain) has got to be Download, but from 3:40 to 5:10 on that RAR performance, my God - 'Bumblefoot!!!'

Loved the image of the band in 2006

The braids and all the 'he's bald and that's a wig' jokes sucked too. But, this was really the pinnacle of NuGnr. The band sounded amazing and there was so much hope and anticipation for CD and Axl both looked and sang like a Rockstar.