Is Madagascar the real gem from Chinese Democracy?

I went back to it for the first time in a few months, it's definitely a very solid track. A lot of emotion in the vocals and powerful lyrics, and the snippets of speeches really showcase the message Axl was trying to put across.

Was it one of the first completed songs from Chinese Democracy?

It is epic, but it is also boring. I don't often say those words together, but that's really how I feel about it. I like the song, but I do not play it that often.

Pretty much this.

I would enjoy TWAT a lot more if Axl hadn't of overdone the "I would do anything for you- there was a time" bits at the end.

Edited by DR DOOM

It's a fantastic song. Though Axl's vocals during the "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" part are a little iffy.

Prostitute is the gem of the album though. That and Estranged are the only truly exceptional songs this band has produced.

Axl said the song has an Ernest Hemingway vibe or something.

I like it very much, the french horns idea is ballsy. The song blew my mind when I saw the band in 2012.

I believe Axl said somewhere that he sings it in an old man voice because he was inspired by The Old Man and The Sea.

CD version is crap, too many overdubs and solo doesn't work.

The solo sounds flat on the album, like it's there solely to have a solo there, but it's just a background noise that shouldn't be given attention. The quotes are "the solo" kinda.

The 2002 version is my favorite, Boston, Columbus and MSG being particularly good.

I bet when Axl wrote the song he didn't picture Dj Ashba playing his guitar with drumsticks over the solo 12 years layer...

Edited by RickRoses
  • Like 1

It'd be better without the speech and film quotes.

this.

To this day, I can't understand how everyone is so in love with the solo. Not that I doubt it's amazing, I just don't know how anyone can fucking hear it over the bull shit quotes.

Though, putting MLK speeches in a song about how lonely he is might be one of the most Axl rose things Axl Rose has ever done.

Edited by TeeJay410

It's the song that changed everything for me, was not an Axl fan at all beforehand but as soon as I heard his voice on that I thought "What on earth is this?!" Listened to it over and over again... and I still listen to it to this day! That and Sorry were the first 2 tracks I really liked off ChiDem, didn't like Better or TWAT until months after release (TWAT is now my 2nd favourite GNR song after November Rain).

Madagascar

This I Love

Prostitute

3 break ups resolved?

I think Madagascar would work as an album opener, followed by rocker.

Madagascar is the Kashmir of GNR.

Edited by wasted