Forum Changes - Merging Discussion and News, Side Projects and the Slash section

highvoltage

The way I see it, we have a bunch of different subjects, GNR included, which no longer generate enough discussion to have their own section (I'm sure it's the cupcakes' fault, constructive criticism FTW :lol: ), so we might as well have it all in one place.

Yeah I'm not on board with this. I'm all for any GNR lineup discussion in the GNR section when it pertains to GNR, but Adler's Appetite, NIN/Finck stuff, any little band Josh Freese ever did a session for?

I think solo projects should stay in their own section.

If there's no interest in those threads, they'll quickly drop off the main page.

Maybe one of Josh Freese's little bands will put out a song that 90% of the forum end up liking? Who knows? We thought about potential issues with it, and really, we're just giving people more topics to discuss. The interest level will dictate what hangs around and what doesn't.

Anything is better than another "Who should replace DJ?" or "Axl's jacket collection" thread at this point IMO. Where will we be in 6-12 month's time if we don't do something radically different?

Well it seems to me that nothing else to discuss in GNR at this point

So this WILL BE fucked up all of the other members / side project's threads in a heartbeat

Any way i hope i'm wrong but you will see

People may not remember, but Trent posted a lot of cryptic messages about GN'R on NIN's website back when Robin was still in the band. It would be cool to see all those posted again.

trivia note:

Rebel Yell's uploaded image was hotlinked to (without his permission) by MyGNR back then. It annoyed him, and he thought it would be funny to go into his Photobucket account and change the picture and see if anyone would notice. No one ever did. Pretty sure his altered picture is still in that archived thread.

EDIT: Found it. His image is long gone, but it was in this thread: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/65506-2nd-reference-to-gnr-on-nin-site/

and the image he changed his link to and uploaded, was this:

3_17_06.jpg

No one ever noticed. :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah I'm not on board with this. I'm all for any GNR lineup discussion in the GNR section when it pertains to GNR, but Adler's Appetite, NIN/Finck stuff, any little band Josh Freese ever did a session for?

If there's no interest in those threads, they'll quickly drop off the main page.

Maybe one of Josh Freese's little bands will put out a song that 90% of the forum end up liking? Who knows? We thought about potential issues with it, and really, we're just giving people more topics to discuss. The interest level will dictate what hangs around and what doesn't.

Anything is better than another "Who should replace DJ?" or "Axl's jacket collection" thread at this point IMO. Where will we be in 6-12 month's time if we don't do something radically different?

I partially agree with Broski. Which makes me feel a little funny. I agree on there being one subforum for all incarnations of GnR and everything GnR related. I'm completely on board with that and with discussing all gnr related aspects of current and former gnr members there.

The only thing I would still like is one subforum just intended for solo efforts and related bands by all GnR members (past and present). They would otherwise be buried in all the GnR threads and the select few interested in these albums and possibly tours wouldn't be able to find them. I know it'd be a quiet forum, but still a nice thing to have for those of us who are into that.

So basically I'd suggest splitting the main section in two:

- a subforum for all GnR-related discussion regarding all GnR members past and present

- a subforum for solo projects and tours regarding all GnR members past and present

Mostly to keep information on specific low-profile projects involving GnR members for those of us interested in buying and discussing them and possibly going to tours.

Is that something you'd be willing to consider for those of us interested in it?

Edited by username

I agree with Bacardi. Which is disgusting, but whatever.

Also, I'll have you know that my "Axl's Attire" thread was very successful while it was still running and relevant. :max:

I don't like it. And this is coming from somebody who was EXTREMELY pro "let's be able to talk about all eras in d+n", and pushed for it for years. But this is a bit too much. Makes me feel like a small country boy lost in a big city. There's just too much clutter and too much to keep track of now. I was perfectly content with the setup we had before, and didn't feel like there were too many complaints about it.

I guess I can maybe understand having links to the Slash and Velvet Revolver sub forums in discussion and news, since they had the most proflic side careers. But then too many people would piss and moan about favoritism against nu guns and blah blah, which is why I think the side projects section worked best for all fans. It's one fucking click down from discussion and news ffs.

• Like 2

Ok, now that it's actually there I have to admit it's kind of weird to have the NIN tour thread in D&N. It's surrounded by filth!

While it does technically qualify for the new D&N, NIN is a big enough band on it's own to keep it separate in My World if we want. Idk, we'll see how it goes. Trial period.

• Like 1

I think it is a terrible idea and will only increase trolling against the GNR we have now and also any post 93 GNR lineup . It will also see more trolling in the treads about the original band especially Slash based threads in retaliation for the trolling of the increase in trolling in the post 93 GNR threads.

I see nothing but more headache for the Admin, mods and forum members.

Slash or any other ex-member are not in GNR right now and why should they be in the same forum as the GNR we have now???????

If you think the trolling in the N&D forum is from forum members that are posting in the Slash or original GNR forum why merge the sub forums it will only make things worse!!!

You said that the people posting in the Slash forum are frustrated because there threads aren't getting replies so they jump over to the N&D forum to cupcake and raise hell. There is a reason the slash forum is not getting replies because not as many people follow that forum, plain and simple.

The demand just isn't there for the Slash forums or original GNR forums or these members would be getting more people to reply.

People mostly come here for New GNR and you seem to be ignoring that fact. At times it is slow but others it is not.

You are just inviting a shit storm, mark my words.

I have no problem with and have alot of respect for the original line up but why would it be helpful to have threads about both eras???

The only problem with your post is that "who" defines what is trolling?

I've seen people called cupcakes when they are just sharing their honest opinion - simply because their opinion isn't 100% pro-Axl or 100% pro-Beta. If somebody doesn't like CD, thought the Golden God performance was embarrassing, etc - they are automatically labeled as "cupcakes" by some posters.

Then you have people that are actual cupcakes, but don't think they are. People who come to the forum specifically to try and rile people up and to make people mad that they don't like.

And is a cupcake/trolling somebody who defends Axl's every move, no matter what? "Oh, I thought Axl sounded amazing on This I Love at the Revolver show. If you disagree it is just because you are a bitter ex-fan hater."

Then you get the people who start trying to dictate your own personal time and reasons for posting here. "If you don't like the band, why do you spend time here. Is your life that pitiful?"

It is kind of a slippery slope when you start talking about cupcakes and trolling. Just because somebody argues with you or you disagree with them, doesn't mean they are trolling.

Look, if it all goes pear shaped and it's not working in a month, we won't be too proud to tuck the tail between the legs and go back to the old format.

We're going to give this a genuine shot though, and I'll be surprised if it hasn't all settled down in a few weeks' time. People generally don't like change, and it's going to feel weird seeing threads you're not used to in the main section at the start. Once people stop making threads about obscure members like Gary Sunshine or Paul Tobias (not that they couldn't with the old format?), it will get better.

Maybe we have special rules for certain bands like NIN to strike a balance? We need to see what works and what doesn't first though.

• Like 2

HV,

There is a grammatical error in the pinned thread about the merge.

MYGNR has long prided itself on being a community that promotes all incarnations of the band, it's members and their side projects.

The possessive of "it" is "its." mf_krider.gif

Is the word ironic appropriate for the fact that movies and television were "important" enough to warrant their own section, while anything related to anyone who was ever in GnR is now considered "Guns n Roses Discussion & News"? .