Forum Changes - Merging Discussion and News, Side Projects and the Slash section

highvoltage

Hi Everyone,

For some time now, we've been toying with the idea of embracing a more all-encompassing main section and doing away with some of the sub-forums.

MYGNR has long prided itself on being a community that promotes all incarnations of the band, it's members and their side projects. The reality is that the board's culture and focus over the past 2-3 years has revolved heavily around Axl and the current band, with less discussion around other members and their current projects taking place. This is largely due to the format of the board and the narrow focus of the main section. We took steps to change that by allowing all-era discussion in the main section, and despite what people thought at the time, it didn't have a huge, negative effect on threads. This seems the next logical step to take to embrace the original, broader vision.

Many of the "Slash fans" troll the main section because their posts aren't seen when they're buried in a subforum that's not frequently accessed. We're hoping that they'll now be able to freely participate in topics that genuinely interest them, and bring some diversity/variety in to the main section. He has a new album coming out soon, and I think now is a great opportunity to make the change and see it in action. The intention isn't for Broski to spam us with 1000 NIN/Finck threads, or for people to take advantage of the new format unfairly. We'll be moderating a little more carefully and encouraging people to make more genuine, thoughtful posts. As always, criticism is OK - but people who are obviously trolling aren't going to be given unlimited chances to sort out their act.

I've made this announcement now, and point forward, consider it to be "in effect". Feel free to discuss or ask any questions regarding the changes here. We'll be merging the subforums and updating descriptions later this week.

I'm hoping that the majority of members will be willing to get on board with us to make this work. :)

Thanks for reading!

Yeah I'm not on board with this. I'm all for any GNR lineup discussion in the GNR section when it pertains to GNR, but Adler's Appetite, NIN/Finck stuff, any little band Josh Freese ever did a session for?

I think solo projects should stay in their own section.

Edited by bacardimayne
  • Like 3

Yeah I'm not on board with this. I'm all for any GNR lineup discussion in the GNR section when it pertains to GNR, but Adler's Appetite, NIN/Finck stuff, any little band Josh Freese ever did a session for?

I think solo projects should stay in their own section.

If there's no interest in those threads, they'll quickly drop off the main page.

Maybe one of Josh Freese's little bands will put out a song that 90% of the forum end up liking? Who knows? We thought about potential issues with it, and really, we're just giving people more topics to discuss. The interest level will dictate what hangs around and what doesn't.

Anything is better than another "Who should replace DJ?" or "Axl's jacket collection" thread at this point IMO. Where will we be in 6-12 month's time if we don't do something radically different?

• Like 2

I am ok with it because it's not like we have many other things to discuss about. Threads will select themselves afterall.

Exactly my point. Whether Axl keeps touring or the band goes totally silent after the residency, D&N is going to continue to stagnate if it's about one thing only. No amount of moderating is going to make things more interesting to talk about.

If people are interested in something, it will rise to the top. If that's a thread about Adler's Appetite and people want to talk about it, so be it.

I think its a good idea.

But cupcakes just unhappy with the world need to be handled. A little consideration in the beginning as we adapt to all this, but over time, you play ball or you get lost.

If DJ Ashba's presence on our planet is that deep inside your head, you need to re-evaluate your presence here, I think. Its just too much of the same shit that will never change, if you are THAT wound up. Ditto if Axl just makes you sick these days.

Just some thoughts.

Edited by D-GenerationX
  • Like 2

Allowing all former member band discussion could be a slippery slope. Only the original AFD members should have the privilege to be in the main section with their current bands. Robin Finck, Gilby Clarke, Teddy Zig Zag, and the rest should not get to take center stage in the main GnR discussion section. In my opinion.

Allowing all former member band discussion could be a slippery slope. Only the original AFD members should have the privilege to be in the main section with their current bands. Robin Finck, Gilby Clarke, Teddy Zig Zag, and the rest should not get to take center stage in the main GnR discussion section. In my opinion.

Thought about that option too, but if you look at Side Projects, people are pretty disinterested in most of those types of obscure projects anyway, so they won't be long on the front page.

Something like the Dead Daisies though? It's a project involving no original members (barring the one Slash song) and the music is pretty good. I think that has a place in D&N, but under your proposal it wouldn't be allowed. You're also giving something like Adler's Appetite precedence over that... it doesn't make sense.

I don't think it's going to make a huge difference either way, and there's nothing to justify keeping Side Projects just for those guys. If it becomes a problem, we can consider moving threads to My World under certain conditions - but I don't think it's going to be a problem tbh. Like I said, the threads will be judged by the number of replies they get. If nobody is interested, they won't get any.

I guess I should've clarified, I meant current members' and the AFD members' side projects. But I forgot to type that, annnnd it doesn't matter: the merge makes sense. However...

...I must preemptively request that there be a limit to the number of Nine Inch Nails threads in the main section.

Edited by saber_

The way I see it, it's either all or nothing. You can't allow Slash threads in D&N without allowing Adler's Appetite, Walking Papers, Buckethead's 400 albums, and all of that shit. If I have to pick, I'm taking the "keep it clean" side.

I do see the bright side though. GNR doesn't have much of a future, and if the band continues in its current state, or just shuts down, there's not going to be much to talk about.

I think its a good idea.

But cupcakes just unhappy with the world need to be handled. A little consideration in the beginning as we adapt to all this, but over time, you play ball or you get lost.

If DJ Ashba's presence on our planet is that deep inside your head, you need to re-evaluate your presence here, I think. Its just too much of the same shit that will never change, if you are THAT wound up. Ditto if Axl just makes you sick these days.

Just some thoughts.

I'd like nothing more than never to discuss DJ Ashba in GNR again.

But as long as he is in the band, it's going to be talked about and it's not like a lot of stuff levelled at him and to a lesser degree Axl isn't warranted.

Like Slash and reunion talk, good luck stamping that out.

There is nothing to talk about concerning Guns N' Roses anyway, beyond, the same old 'Axl v Slash' threads; there is no album on the horizon and the setlists are the same. Side projects and ex-member projects are the only areas you are going to get new music.

I guess I should've clarified, I meant current members' and the AFD members' side projects. But I forgot to type that, annnnd it doesn't matter: the merge makes sense. However...

If you're already including AFD and current members why not cover the people inbetween? How does it make sense to talk about Adler's Appetite but not Buckethead - who has arguably the biggest solo career of any GNR member. I'd guess that there are less than 10 people who have bothered to listen to Adler's music on this forum.

...I must preemptively request that there be a limit to the number of Nine Inch Nails threads in the main section.

Putting aside the pointless "Is Trent Axl's antichrist?" threads that had been showing up in D&N once a week anyways, this thread should cover everything - http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/205447-nine-inch-nails-2014-tour-discussion-lounge/. Requesting it be moved to D&N as long as a GNR member is present in the band.

Edited by Broskirose

^ I think that's fair, but in the interests of not pissing people off, one thread should be it as you say. Ill move it. Robin is clearly a very popular member, probably moreso in hindsight than when he was in the band.

People may not remember, but Trent posted a lot of cryptic messages about GN'R on NIN's website back when Robin was still in the band. It would be cool to see all those posted again.

I think it is a terrible idea and will only increase trolling against the GNR we have now and also any post 93 GNR lineup . It will also see more trolling in the treads about the original band especially Slash based threads in retaliation for the trolling of the increase in trolling in the post 93 GNR threads.

I see nothing but more headache for the Admin, mods and forum members.

Slash or any other ex-member are not in GNR right now and why should they be in the same forum as the GNR we have now???????

If you think the trolling in the N&D forum is from forum members that are posting in the Slash or original GNR forum why merge the sub forums it will only make things worse!!!

You said that the people posting in the Slash forum are frustrated because there threads aren't getting replies so they jump over to the N&D forum to cupcake and raise hell. There is a reason the slash forum is not getting replies because not as many people follow that forum, plain and simple.

The demand just isn't there for the Slash forums or original GNR forums or these members would be getting more people to reply.

People mostly come here for New GNR and you seem to be ignoring that fact. At times it is slow but others it is not.

You are just inviting a shit storm, mark my words.

I have no problem with and have alot of respect for the original line up but why would it be helpful to have threads about both eras???

• Like 1

^ I think that's fair, but in the interests of not pissing people off, one thread should be it as you say. Ill move it. Robin is clearly a very popular member, probably moreso in hindsight than when he was in the band.

People may not remember, but Trent posted a lot of cryptic messages about GN'R on NIN's website back when Robin was still in the band. It would be cool to see all those posted again.

I'm not sure why it would piss anyone off anymore than any other GNR related band?

Yeah, I've heard about that but I've never seen them. Wasn't into "NuGNR" back then or NIN either (I think). Would be cool if someone saved them.

I think it is a terrible idea and will only increase trolling against the GNR we have now and also any post 93 GNR lineup . It will also see more trolling in the treads about the original band especially Slash based threads in retaliation for the trolling of the increase in trolling in the post 93 GNR threads.

I see nothing but more headache for the Admin, mods and forum members.

Slash or any other ex-member are not in GNR right now and why should they be in the same forum as the GNR we have now???????

If you think the trolling in the N&D forum is from forum members that are posting in the Slash or original GNR forum why merge the sub forums it will only make things worse!!!

You said that the people posting in the Slash forum are frustrated because there threads aren't getting replies so they jump over to the N&D forum to cupcake and raise hell. There is a reason the slash forum is not getting replies because not as many people follow that forum, plain and simple.

The demand just isn't there for the Slash forums or original GNR forums or these members would be getting more people to reply.

People mostly come here for New GNR and you seem to be ignoring that fact. At times it is slow but others it is not.

You are just inviting a shit storm, mark my words.

I have no problem with and have alot of respect for the original line up but why would it be helpful to have threads about both eras???

People said the same thing when old band discussion was first allowed in the main section.

Edited by Broskirose

I just don't put a lot of weight into those concerns. People said that the exact same thing would happen when we allowed all-era discussion in the main section and guess what? It didn't.

People come here for all sorts of reasons. Whatever people are most interested in is what you'll end up seeing at the top of the forum. If there are threads that don't interest you, don't read them and they won't bother you - but there is absolutely no reason or evidence to suggest people will be able to troll more.

"Mark my words", in a practical sense you won't notice a great deal of day to day difference.

EDIT: Broski, it probably won't be an issue any more than it would any other band. In general it should be one thread per project, but we won't enforce it too strictly. We'll just see how it plays out.

As you can see in the N&D forum there a very very very few threads about the old band.

This will be a totally different animal because of how passionate the Slash fanboys are against the new band and how passionate the fanboys of the GNR we have now. I glad people are passionate about anything GNR but with GNR we have 2 different sets of fans when it come to Slash and GNR now.

Just remember I told you so.....

As you can see in the N&D forum there a very very very few threads about the old band.

This will be a totally different animal because of how passionate the Slash fanboys are against the new band and how passionate the fanboys of the GNR we have now. I glad people are passionate about anything GNR but with GNR we have 2 different sets of fans when it come to Slash and GNR now.

Just remember I told you so.....

You're not explaining how that changes things though?

Are you concerned about the forum being flooded with Slash threads by one or two people? We won't be letting that happen.