Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds (album)

Never liked Izzy's solo albums. They make me question this supposed amazing songwriting ability that many people mention in order to diminish Slash's importance in Guns. They all sound like Stones + Aerosmith to me. Not that I can't enjoy a nice 3 min rock n' roll song from time to time, but Slash is way better at doing it, IMO.

• Like 2

Never liked Izzy's solo albums. They make me question this supposed amazing songwriting ability that many people mention in order to diminish Slash's importance in Guns. They all sound like Stones + Aerosmith to me. Not that I can't enjoy a nice 3 min rock n' roll song from time to time, but Slash is way better at doing it, IMO.

Same here. This album was a big disappointment for me and I pretty much gave up on Izzy after this.

I love Izzy's albums, they're all beautiful pieces of music (except the acoustic album, although I still like that one, just less than the others).

I prefer 117, River and Like A Dog to Ju Ju Hounds, but they're all excellent really. Shuffle It All is undeniably a masterpiece of a song,

I think my favorite is Ride On. Needles, California, Ride On, those are really good songs.

I like all of his solo albums though. If anything, he showed why he is irreplacable in GN'R. He brought the stripped down, rock n' roll vibe to the band and was very underappreciated, even by his own band members at times.

• Like 1

This....

The Izzy-GNR songs, to me, are among the worst in the GNR catalog...

And Izzy's solo albums are worse..boring to the point of inducing tears, they sound lazy and rushed and his vocals are terrible...his lyrics are better off not even mentioning

What I don't like about his songwriting is how little variation there is in themes. Seems like most of his songs are about relaxing, the freedom of the open road, and how hot it is outside.

That's what makes it for me. Sometimes I just want to listen to more mellow stuff and what's better than cruising down the open road on a beautiful summer day?

His first album is excellent. I've heard the same is true of the rest of his albums, I just haven't gotten around to them. But the first one is a classic. Its the classic George Harrison type thing of leaving a huge group and basically being like "this is what I've had in my tank" and it blows everyone away. At least IMO.

• Like 1

I think ju ju hounds is his most complete album that i can listen to beginning to end. I think that sound fits him well. While i still like all his other albums they dont flow as well and have more of an album with 2 or 3 singles where his first flows very well. still prefer his stuff way more than slash or duffs solo.

Ju Ju Hounds is a fantastic album. I remember when it came out, I was disapointed because it didn't sound anything like GnR but my taste in music has developed over the years and I now appreciate what a great record it is. Nice and chilled out. I wish they had made more music together.

Only Izzy could write Time Gone By, could have been the next Patience. Up Jumped the Devil could be the start of a new Double Talking Jive. Somebody Knockin' and Shuffle It All would go straight on Persistence of Insanity (UYI III). I really think he's a natural born songwriter, like Dylan. he can just bang out album after album. he has the knack.

• Like 1