Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds (album)

Never liked Izzy's solo albums. They make me question this supposed amazing songwriting ability that many people mention in order to diminish Slash's importance in Guns. They all sound like Stones + Aerosmith to me. Not that I can't enjoy a nice 3 min rock n' roll song from time to time, but Slash is way better at doing it, IMO.

This....

The Izzy-GNR songs, to me, are among the worst in the GNR catalog...

And Izzy's solo albums are worse..boring to the point of inducing tears, they sound lazy and rushed and his vocals are terrible...his lyrics are better off not even mentioning

so you don't like old GNR at all

Indeed... he wrote or co-wrote 70% of all classic GnR songs.

Most iconic ones to be honest...

agreed

As much as i like Axl, i really don't think he is a genius when it comes to songwriting. Of yourse he has (was?) got great talent, thoug

i always liked the collaborítive effort song in GNR land. But mostly Izzy and Slash baby's I rarely like Axl baby's (except Coma or Estranged) But Axl wrote some great lyrics for Locomotive maybe the best of on his career

I really don't like November rain too cheesy for me

• Like 1

Never liked Izzy's solo albums. They make me question this supposed amazing songwriting ability that many people mention in order to diminish Slash's importance in Guns. They all sound like Stones + Aerosmith to me. Not that I can't enjoy a nice 3 min rock n' roll song from time to time, but Slash is way better at doing it, IMO.

This....

And Izzy's solo albums are worse..boring to the point of inducing tears, they sound lazy and rushed and his vocals are terrible...his lyrics are better off not even mentioning

so you don't like old GNR at all

stop now

Without doubt my favourite album ever :) If I were stranded on an a desert island with just one disc it would be this album. (No offense to Guns or Izzys solo efforts :thumbsup:)

Most will know this already but here are the Ju Ju Hounds songs which weren't released on the album:-

Got Away

Came Unglued

Been A Fix

Can't Hear Em

How Much

The above were all released as bsides, and then there were 2 more songs by the Ju Ju Hounds released on Izzy Stradlin 117°:-

Good Enough

Memphis (Chuck Berry cover)

Four more songs were also recorded but have yet to be released, according to Ju Ju Hounds producer Eddie Ashworth:-

Also-not to open a can of worms-but to set the record straight, we did record a few songs that did
not appear on the Ju Ju Hounds record or on any subsequent release:

Gotta Wanna Go-great funky, almost New Orleans kind groove, cool lyrics, excellent playing by
the Hounds. DEFINITELY the lost track that should have been on the album. The guys played it
live off and on, so some of you might have heard it.

Silver and Gold-acoustic song with a great melody and lyric, also inexplicably left off the album
and never released. I seem to recall that Izzy didn't feel like it measured up to the rest, but I
remember it as being very strong.

Outta Yer Blood-very raw blues rocker with Izzy on slide. This is the song where the Izzy sings
something that sounds like "ju ju hound" and where the band and album name come from

Mile Away-mid tempo barnburner with some nice Ian organ stuff.

Plus a couple of short instrumental pieces.

All the other stuff recorded at that time that didn't make it to the record ended up on EP's or as
B-sides.

Also, I personally listened to all the tapes that Izzy had recorded prior to our starting on the 117
Degree album and can say there that to my knowledge there is no "lost" Izzy tracks from that
period.

"Gotta Wanna Go" can be heard on Youtube performed live, but the rest haven't surfaced to date.

Also, I asked Eddie on Twitter if the Ju Ju Hounds ever recorded "Goodnight Tonight" in a studio, but the answer was unfortunately "No". They only played it live :(

May as well throw this in here too, see my download topic for 28 Izzy rarities performed live, the majority of which are performed by the Ju Ju Hounds. The best of the bunch is probably the JJH cover of Spoonful recorded in a studio for radio:

Download can be found here: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/195521-compilation-of-28-live-izzy-stradlin-rarities/

Edited by downliner

I prefer 117 degrees, but Ju Ju Hounds is also a great album.

This. 117 is Izzy's finest solo work. I love that record. On the whole, if you take the best of Izzy solo, he has some really nice tunes. You can clearly see the "skeleton" nature of it and can wonder what could have been done with it once GNR put it through the wringer. That isn't to diminish Izzy's ability. I still think classic lineup was an example of the whole greater than the sum of its parts.

This....

"Patience" bores you? "Mr. Brownstone"? "Pretty Tied Up," "You Could Be Mine," "Don't Cry," "Perfect Crime."

Those are classics! And just naming a few. Or did you mean the ones he sings on?

This....

"Patience" bores you? "Mr. Brownstone"? "Pretty Tied Up," "You Could Be Mine," "Don't Cry," "Perfect Crime."

Those are classics! And just naming a few. Or did you mean the ones he sings on?

Don't Cry, Think About You, You Ain't The First, Bad Obsession, Dust N' Bones, Double Talkin Jive. Don't like any of them

14 Years and Pretty Tied Up I do like. Patience is ok at best.

You Could Be Mine I've heard too many times and is boring to me now as are many songs I've heard hundreds of times.

Edited by Sixes

Never really rated this album but maybe I didn't give it enough time. River on the other hand is excellent. Can't question his songwriting, how can anyone not like You Could Be Mine?! Seriously!

This....

Don't Cry, Think About You, You Ain't The First, Bad Obsession, Dust N' Bones, Double Talkin Jive. Don't like any of them

14 Years and Pretty Tied Up I do like. Patience is ok at best.

You Could Be Mine I've heard too many times and is boring to me now as are many songs I've heard hundreds of times.

This is why I love Guns ^_^ I think You Aint The First, Dust N' Bones, Double Talking Jive and without doubt Think About You are some of Guns best material. Guess I've always just been more drawn towards Izzys material, but then I also love My World so what do I know lol :unsure:

Edit: Okay, maybe not their "best" as that label is reserved for stuff like Jungle, but I would definitely choose You Aint The First over Estranged, Coma, Locomotive or some other 10 minute "epic" :)

Edited by downliner
  • Like 2