We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

I'm watching two temporary IPL franchises play each other, temporary replacements for the suspended Rajhastan Royals and Chenai Super Kings. One of them is called - listen to this one - 'Rising Pune Supergiants'. Their strip is as tacky as their name. Why would anyone want to support this, yet, there they are, the rabid Indian crowd.

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

A boundry for six is called a 'maximum' haha. The Australian commentator is completely annoying. He wets his pants everytime there is a boundry. It is not Slater but it sounds like him, with that same grating accent.

It's not just called a maximum, it normally has a sponsor's name attached to it too, like Amiral car insurance maximum or something...

16 minutes ago, sturginho said:

It's not just called a maximum, it normally has a sponsor's name attached to it too, like Amiral car insurance maximum or something...

Everything in the entire tournament carries a sponsor. There is not an empty spot on their pyjamas that is not taken up with a sponsorship logo!

Oh yes, you get a little coloured cap if you are the leading wicket taker/run scorer or some bollocks.

There is a lot going for it really in the assembling of so many big glitzy names into just a few teams, but why does it have to be so bloody tacky?

PS

An article arguing the cheerleaders are skanks.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-2128000/Old-unfit-tacky--IPL-cheerleaders-giving-blues.html

The Deccan Charger's cheerleader is no stranger to a fish supper I bet.

Edited by DieselDaisy

5 hours ago, sturginho said:

So what cricket needs is better cheerleaders? Seems like an odd argument for you to be making?

I'm not making any argument - don't shoot the messenger. Just pointing out a funny article that I happened to be reading at the time.

Although, if you are going to have cheerleaders you may as well do it right I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

They are actually showing a County game on Sky!! Yorkies v Notts, final day tomorrow, packed with all of the England stars. Astonishing Sky buy the county rights yet never put the games on; or more to the point, that the ECB insist on bundling all of the English cricket rights together and selling them like that, so that whoever buys them (sky) has more cricket than they can actually theoretically air! Anyhow, rant over. Yorkshire are in charge and should win tomorrow however Patel has launched a stand and you never know, if Notts have a lead of 200 they may be able to bowl Yorkshire out cheaply?

18 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

They are actually showing a County game on Sky!! Yorkies v Notts, final day tomorrow, packed with all of the England stars. Astonishing Sky buy the county rights yet never put the games on; or more to the point, that the ECB insist on bundling all of the English cricket rights together and selling them like that, so that whoever buys them (sky) has more cricket than they can actually theoretically air! Anyhow, rant over. Yorkshire are in charge and should win tomorrow however Patel has launched a stand and you never know, if Notts have a lead of 200 they may be able to bowl Yorkshire out cheaply?

with 6 channels you'd think they would find room for some cricket somewhere?

so Sky are not showing it even though they have the rights for it, but the counties can't stream it to try and drum up some interest... sound logic from the ECB! I guess their worry is that if Sky were of a mind to sue over it they would sue the ECB rather than an individual county

God this is a big innovation,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03t567d

The Ashes is a glorious thing. You wouldn't want to jettison such a history, but at the same time these bilateral one dayers do seem pointless affairs. They can still be playing cricket, Aussies v Englishman, three months after the ashes have ended and nobody cares by that stage because we have all been innundated with the Ashes and The Ashes is everything. This would bring those one dayers into the Ashes and give them purpose.

It is still a heady reform. I mean I wouldn't want The Ashes to be decided by a cacky T20!! Plus they field three teams so you might have an excellent test team but a shit Twenty20 side and the Twenty20 boys bugger it all up!

PS

Yes, I think I am with Vaughn (currently). It is an over-complication. There is a clarity about test series which would be smudged, a majority wins the series, equal draws the series, simple.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/36217532

Edited by DieselDaisy

Alastair Cook (captain), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow, Jake Ball, Stuart Broad, Nick Compton, Steven Finn, Alex Hales, Joe Root, Ben Stokes, James Vince.

england%20squad.jpg-large

Compton is wank. I would have picked Rashid instead, partnering him with Ali and thinking ahead of India in the winter. It would also be a way to test whether or not this new ECB policy on the coin toss is producing wickets more prone to spin - an English May wicket is certainly not going to be a 'turning wickets' but if the policy works, you should see something for the spinners from the third-fourth day. Also, you do not lose anything batting as Rashid is handy with the bat, an all-rounder really.

From that however I would go,

Cook, Hales, Vince, Root, Stokes, Bairstow, Ali, Broad, Ball, Finn, Anderson

But you know in your heart they will persevere with Compton at three and chuck Vince further up the order, probably between Root and Stokes, Ball as twelfth man. It might work but Hales and Compton are certainly on borrowed time.

Edited by DieselDaisy

• 2 weeks later...