We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Pakistan television's soundtrack to a highlights interlude (during the innings changeover): Metallica's 'Orion'!!

They do a lot of that!  I've heard everything from Tubular Bells to Love Buzz by Nirvana in similar contexts.  They also steal entire films, have been doing so since the 1950s.

Just now, Len B'stard said:

They do a lot of that!  I've heard everything from Tubular Bells to Love Buzz by Nirvana in similar contexts.  They also steal entire films, have been doing so since the 1950s.

They also advertise Pepsi a lot  - the Pakistani team even have Pepsi on their shirts. Most of the adverts pertain to confectionery, little cake snacks. The women in these adverts are splendidly good looking, as if they have been plucked from Arabian Nights.

Documentary on Imran Khan during the rain delay. The Burki side, his mother's side, produced thirty Pakistani cricketers including three captains! They lived on the Indian side of the border pre-partition.

It's a beautiful country. It is a shame we can no longer tour there because of the terrorism. Hopefully that will change one day.

Edited by DieselDaisy

22 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Documentary on Imran Khan during the rain delay. The Burki side, his mother's side, produced thirty Pakistani cricketers including three captains! They lived on the Indian side of the border pre-partition.

It's a beautiful country. It is a shame we can no longer tour there because of the terrorism. Hopefully that will change one day.

He's from one of them tribal Afghan clans i believe.

4 minutes ago, wasted said:

Wasn't Amir one of the banned matching fixing players? 

I've totally missed this second test. Looks like a draw cos rain is coming. Summer is over. 

England won by 330 runs, series 1-1.

In answer to your first question, yes. He served his ban and was readmitted to the test fold - a decision which has divided the cricket world.

PS

Remaining two tests,

Wed 3-Sun 7 Aug - 3rd Test - Edgbaston

Thu 11-Mon 15 Aug - 4th Test - Oval

• 2 weeks later...

Sobers was eighty at the weekend and he has been discussing his career. He was discussing meeting Ali; the Windies were in England during the Cooper fight - 1966 - and they went to the boxing.

What a great year 1966 was, to be in Britain in 1966? Sobers in his pomp in England; Ali v Cooper; England win the World Cup; Revolver; Alfie. It is impossible to conceive of a better year to be in a better country, than the Britain of 1966.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Sobers was eighty at the weekend and he has been discussing his career. He was discussing meeting Ali; the Windies were in England during the Cooper fight - 1966 - and they went to the boxing.

What a great year 1966 was, to be in Britain in 1966? Sobers in his pomp in England; Ali v Cooper; England win the World Cup; Revolver; Alfie. It is impossible to conceive of a better year to be in a better country, than the Britain of 1966.

Funnily enough whenever i asked family members of mine about it they don't really have much to say in terms of positive memories.  Most questions about it were answered with 'i dunno, i was working in the cement factory'.  My old man came to England that year i think...or was it 67?  He was 8 years old at the time.

I once asked this elderly Pakistani bloke, old friend of my old mans though much older than him, what he remembered of The Beatles and Beatlemania from the day his reply was 'oh i dunno, i was working on the buses at the time, all i remember is these four boys on TV one day going 'yeah yeah yeah' and all the girls would scream at em.  Interesting apppraisal of one of the key cultural phenomeons of the 20th Century.

Edited by Len B'stard

3 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Funnily enough whenever i asked family members of mine about it they don't really have much to say in terms of positive memories.  Most questions about it were answered with 'i dunno, i was working in the cement factory'.  My old man came to England that year i think...or was it 67?  He was 8 years old at the time.

My mam was at Isle of Wight. I keep saying things like, were The Doors good? How was it to see Jimi's (near) final show? Dylan's return from sabbatical? Who etc? and draw blanks. I cannot get any fitting reply which lives up to my enthusiasm on the subject!

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

My mam was at Isle of Wight. I keep saying things like, were The Doors good? How was it to see Jimi's (near) final show? Dylan's return from sabbatical? Who etc? and draw blanks. I cannot get any fitting reply which lives up to my enthusiasm on the subject!

Exactly the same here! :lol:  In fact, the response i get more often than not is 'men didn't give a monkeys about all that bollocks, it was all for kids, girls and sadcases'.  To a certain type of man in them days i suppose pop stars were a bunch of poofs and music is just something thats on in pubs and clubs that you don't take ever so seriously.

6 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Exactly the same here! :lol:  In fact, the response i get more often than not is 'men didn't give a monkeys about all that bollocks, it was all for kids, girls and sadcases'.  To a certain type of man in them days i suppose pop stars were a bunch of poofs and music is just something thats on in pubs and clubs that you don't take ever so seriously.

Yes but my mother, a Beatles fan, was already converted to the cause of sixties counter-culture! I suspect (and this is just my own theory based on a knowledge of these festival things and logistical cock-ups on holidays and things which are meant to be 'great') that it was a damp squib: the van broke down in the midlands; they missed most of the acts; stuck at the back and couldn't see anything; sound awful (Isle of Wight was a bit of a logistics nightmare as it happens). But she is not going to admit to her son asking many years later, ''what was it like seeing Jimi play that breathtaking (and rare) performance of Watchtower?'', ''I was stuck in a service station on the A1 somewhere''.

I suspect...

I could understand your father not being interested in the English Football team or Football in general as he is Pakistani and most genuine Pakistanis don't give a shit about football, but surely he must have followed Sobers' career, even as an eight year old?

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes but my mother, a Beatles fan, was already converted to the cause of sixties counter-culture! I suspect (and this is just my own theory based on a knowledge of these festival things and logistical cock-ups on holidays and things which are meant to be 'great') that it was a damp squib: the van broke down in the midlands; they missed most of the acts; stuck at the back and couldn't see anything; sound awful (Isle of Wight was a bit of a logistics nightmare as it happens). But she is not going to admit to her son asking many years later, ''what was it like seeing Jimi play that breathtaking (and rare) performance of Watchtower?'', ''I was stuck in a service station on the A1 somewhere''.

I suspect...

I could understand your father not being interested in the English Football team or Football in general as he is Pakistani and most genuine Pakistanis don't give a shit about football, but surely he must have followed Sobers' career, even as an eight year old?

Oh he loves football and always did, he don't really even remember much of being born there it's just having turned up at 8 in 66 he don't really remember much until like a couple of years after.  And cricket too although boxing more than either of those.  First Ali fight he can recall watching is the Jerry Quarry one and thats like 1970.  He has fond memories of Arsenal and the Brazil World Cup winning team and (though decidedly less fond) memories of England getting losing to Germany.  It was an odd thing but the Pakistani men of that day, who came over as kids, were more anglocised than a great many are today that are born and bred here because in those days there was no like...Pakistani culture in England then if you like, not many of em about, not much in terms of a community, no Asian TV channels or radio stations, not even much in the way of food relative to now so I suppose you just sort of assimilated.  He went back for the first time from age 8 at about 16/17 and he couldn't speak the language :lol:  I suppose going from being a young 16/17 yr old preoccupied with Lotus Cortinas and pulling birds back curried okra and buffalo dung was a bit of a culture shock :lol:

Nowadays you can turn up as an immigrant here and if you move in the right circles you probably don't even have to learn English.

Edited by Len B'stard

On 04/08/2016 at 2:25 PM, Len B'stard said:

Oh he loves football and always did, he don't really even remember much of being born there it's just having turned up at 8 in 66 he don't really remember much until like a couple of years after.  And cricket too although boxing more than either of those.  First Ali fight he can recall watching is the Jerry Quarry one and thats like 1970.  He has fond memories of Arsenal and the Brazil World Cup winning team and (though decidedly less fond) memories of England getting losing to Germany.  It was an odd thing but the Pakistani men of that day, who came over as kids, were more anglocised than a great many are today that are born and bred here because in those days there was no like...Pakistani culture in England then if you like, not many of em about, not much in terms of a community, no Asian TV channels or radio stations, not even much in the way of food relative to now so I suppose you just sort of assimilated.  He went back for the first time from age 8 at about 16/17 and he couldn't speak the language :lol:  I suppose going from being a young 16/17 yr old preoccupied with Lotus Cortinas and pulling birds back curried okra and buffalo dung was a bit of a culture shock :lol:

Nowadays you can turn up as an immigrant here and if you move in the right circles you probably don't even have to learn English.

It does not even feel that you need to be in England. The ghetto effect. I find the Chinese the biggest culprits (creating 'China Towns').

But what about your dad and cricket?

PS

What an enthralling series this is, two excellent teams, back-and-forth back-and-forth.