We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Here is my Test Team of 2016, if anyone is interested.

Azhar Ali (Pakistan)

David Warner (Australia)

Steve Smith (Aus)

Joe Root (England)

Virat Kohli (India)*

Ben Stokes (Eng)

Johnny Bairstow (Eng) +

Ravi Ashwin (India)

Mitchell Starc (Aus) / Jadeja (India)

Hazlewood (Aus)

Rabada (South Africa)

12th Man: Neil Wagner (New Zealand)

Bairstow just nudges out De Kock for the gloves. Switch Jadeja for Starc on a raging turner. I've made Kohli my captain over Smith because I think he has the edge although neither are perfect options really. Wagner, my twelfth man, can join the team if one of my seamers is knackered. Herath, Phillander and Kane Williamson sadly all miss out.

I think that is an excellent team.

Edited by DieselDaisy

5 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

If Ashwin carries on at this rate he could be something very special indeed.

He already is I think. He is getting on a bit you know, but he is now peaking? The most exciting young cricketer is Rabada. I think he is only 21 and he can already swing the ball both ways, both conventional and reverse, at express pace. Great Yorker also.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

He already is I think. He is getting on a bit you know, but he is now peaking? The most exciting young cricketer is Rabada. I think he is only 21 and he can already swing the ball both ways, both conventional and reverse, at express pace. Great Yorker also.

Yeah, his 5 and 10 wickets hauls are pretty darned amazing. I don't think that he has enough time on his side to get right up there with Warne and Murali though, although he still has a few hundred wickets left in him, I'm sure. :lol:

3 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

Yeah, his 5 and 10 wickets hauls are pretty darned amazing. I don't think that he has enough time on his side to get right up there with Warne and Murali though, although he still has a few hundred wickets left in him, I'm sure. :lol:

Ashwin has about six variations including that carrom ball which he flicks out of his hand. He can turn it both ways with that delivery. 

3 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

Yeah, but we have Moeen.

He is not really a spinner though and never wanted to be. Mo is essentially a batsman (number 3ish) who bowled a bit of part time. The ECB were so desperate for a spinner that they tried to convert him into a spinning all-rounder.

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He is not really a spinner though and never wanted to be. Mo is essentially a batsman (number 3ish) who bowled a bit of part time. The ECB were so desperate for a spinner that they tried to convert him into a spinning all-rounder.

I know, which is why the whole thing is quite sad. England have such a terribly poor history of spinners, especially in the modern game. Monty was okay, but it's really Swan and that's it. Well, Giles, but he went for 40.

10 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

I know, which is why the whole thing is quite sad. England have such a terribly poor history of spinners, especially in the modern game. Monty was okay, but it's really Swan and that's it. Well, Giles, but he went for 40.

Death of the uncovered wickets. In the days of uncovered wickets we produced Laker, Lock, Underwood. Genuine all-time greats.

When Monty was in the right space he was brilliant. Panesar and Swann in India 2012 were devastating.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Death of the uncovered wickets. In the days of uncovered wickets we produced Laker, Lock, Underwood. Genuine all-time greats.

When Monty was in the right space he was brilliant. Panesar and Swann in India 2012 were devastating.

There definitely needs to be a better balance for wickets in county cricket, as well as more incentives for young players who are starting out and are spinners.

7 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

There definitely needs to be a better balance for wickets in county cricket, as well as more incentives for young players who are starting out and are spinners.

The ECB abolished the coin toss last season in order to stop counties from producing green tops which assist the dibbly-dobbler county plodders, producing dryer wickets with more turn; presently, the away side has the automatic choice to put the home side in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/34937939

Has it worked? We'll probably not notice any substantial changes to English spin for years but there were certainly two spinners topping the wicket totals that season (Jack Leach and Jeetan Patel).

34 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The ECB abolished the coin toss last season in order to stop counties from producing green tops which assist the dibbly-dobbler county plodders, producing dryer wickets with more turn; presently, the away side has the automatic choice to put the home side in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/34937939

Has it worked? We'll probably not notice any substantial changes to English spin for years but there were certainly two spinners topping the wicket totals that season (Jack Leach and Jeetan Patel).

To me, the abandonment of the spinner in English cricket seems so silly, given that we regularly play in the sub-continent and get hammered there. None of our batsmen are great against spin, either. Some are good, but none are great.

Theres an indian bowler called Bumrah :lol:

13 hours ago, PappyTron said:

To me, the abandonment of the spinner in English cricket seems so silly, given that we regularly play in the sub-continent and get hammered there. None of our batsmen are great against spin, either. Some are good, but none are great.

How do you replicate the pitches to get spin though, thats the point isn't it, everyones better with whatever shit is prevalent in their country.

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Not when cricket players skip around the place with names that sound like a homosexual character out of Thundercats, no :lol:  

Mumm-ra's gay brother.

You'll like the name of the current South African wicketkeeper also,

Quinton de Kock

Edited by DieselDaisy