We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

22 minutes ago, J Dog said:

I with you on the hand eye coordination. Might be easier for a cricket player to play baseball since the ball isn't hitting the dirt first. That's wild. I played baseball and think I could hit with a cricket stick.

I'd say our pitches are a little more complicated than 3 tosses in a row. You start getting pitchers who can throw good curve balls and knuckle balls and drop balls and it's really hard actually. And in the majors where those cats are throwing 90-100 mph ain't no joke.

Of course but it comes natural to some. But at the professional level it's always going to be hard. I remember batting in the nets against a pro spin bowler. Your a kid, they sign your bat and bowl few balls at you. And it was so fast and hard, I was scared for my life, all the balls seemed aimed at my body. He was just warming up really. I later opened for the county and basically it's just instinct, protect your balls and try to get a bat on it. You have the right technique ingrained so maybe get a few runs. If you can stay in long enough you might get a few loose balls. It's more about concentration, rather than just swinging. Like baseball, is it over the base. Theres tactics too. Like walk to first and all that. It's judgment and instinct, I think the same. 

But at a lower level you would get by fine. I suppose the only thing with cricket is you aren't just swinging. You have protect your stumps first. But if you keep a straight bat and move forward you be fine. It's really when you try to play a shot that you get out. 

Uncordinated people just can't do it. Like Giroud, why is he even on the pitch? 

Pretty interesting. There is a lot in common with baseball, which is my favorite past time in the world. I wish there was some cricket on tv today. I would totally nurse this hangover and go in n out of a nap and try to educate myself a bit on it. At least til football starts. :lol:

Does Wales have any good teams? They my boys if so...

11 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I think they're in and around 90mph, with the world record being just over 100 but you'll have to ask one of these lot that know about cricket.

90 or 100 you won't really see the ball per say. Imagine someone throwing a rock at you from 10 paces. 

1 minute ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Pretty interesting. There is a lot in common with baseball, which is my favorite past time in the world. I wish there was some cricket on tv today. I would totally nurse this hangover and go in n out of a nap and try to educate myself a bit on it. At least til football starts. :lol:

Glamorgan are the welsh county cricket team I think. 

Cricket is good for sandwiches and tea. They also take breaks in the game. It's a whole slack lifestyle. David Gower looks like royalty. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, wasted said:

Of course but it comes natural to some. But at the professional level it's always going to be hard. I remember batting in the nets against a pro spin bowler. Your a kid, they sign your bat and bowl few balls at you. And it was so fast and hard, I was scared for my life, all the balls seemed aimed at my body. He was just warming up really. I later opened for the county and basically it's just instinct, protect your balls and try to get a bat on it. You have the right technique ingrained so maybe get a few runs. If you can stay in long enough you might get a few loose balls. It's more about concentration, rather than just swinging. Like baseball, is it over the base. Theres tactics too. Like walk to first and all that. It's judgment and instinct, I think the same. 

But at a lower level you would get by fine. I suppose the only thing with cricket is you aren't just swinging. You have protect your stumps first. But if you keep a straight bat and move forward you be fine. It's really when you try to play a shot that you get out. 

Uncordinated people just can't do it. Like Giroud, why is he even on the pitch? 

Yeah. Shit it looks like you're about to get hit with every pitch.

17 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Also- is the game of Rounders still played in GB at all? 

And is there a youth culture of cricket there like there is baseball here? Are there youth games of cricket on the weekends in every town?

Seems more like immigrant communities are into cricket.  Not really a big youth culture sport, no.  Rounders is just something kids sometimes play in PE, not a very well regarded sport at all, football is the youth culture game.

21 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Are there ever what we call in baseball "beanball wars"? Meaning, does the bowler ever just drill the batsman for no other reason than to send a message and inflict some pain? 

Yes, often :lol:  Some are famous for it!

See when you watch baseball the pitches don't look that bad. I guess because they don't have the running start and all that. It's kind of a relaxed looking motion. But they say hitting a 95 mph fastball is the hardest thing to do in all of our sports.

2 minutes ago, J Dog said:

See when you watch baseball the pitches don't look that bad. I guess because they don't have the running start and all that. It's kind of a relaxed looking motion. But they say hitting a 95 mph fastball is the hardest thing to do in all of our sports.

Yeah the run up leads to all that pace.  Cricket balls are hard as rocks too, if you get are near one pick it up...then imagine that hitting you at 90mph, they're fucking lethal.  I never understood how you get the power into baseball pitching, cuz you just stand there.

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Seems more like immigrant communities are into cricket.  Not really a big youth culture sport, no.  Rounders is just something kids sometimes play in PE, not a very well regarded sport at all, football is the youth culture game.

Yes, often :lol:  Some are famous for it!

So there must be brawls sometimes then, right? I mean, it's gotta come to a head just like in baseball, when a team has had enough of it and just decides it's time to kick the guy's ass?

Does the bowler eventually have to bat or no? Because in baseball (except professionally), the pitcher has to step in there eventually, and if he's too much of an asshole, he will get one upside the ear hole.

11 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

So there must be brawls sometimes then, right? I mean, it's gotta come to a head just like in baseball, when a team has had enough of it and just decides it's time to kick the guy's ass?

Does the bowler eventually have to bat or no? Because in baseball (except professionally), the pitcher has to step in there eventually, and if he's too much of an asshole, he will get one upside the ear hole.

All the bowlers get to bat but they are generally at the end of the list, unless they are all rounders(i.e. Equally profficient at batting and bowling). Not sure about brawls, thats more likely in football really, to be honest i dont watch cricket, i cant stand it, Dies' could give you a good idea though.

• Like 1

96-97 mph would be the top end of an 'express pace' bowler. There is been stories and claims by bowlers breaking the 100mph barrier but it is somewhat shrouded in mythology and hard to judge really when looking at old footage. Bradman said that the fastest bowler he had ever seen/faced was Frank Tyson,

Have a look at this,

Brutal.

1 hour ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Glamorgan domestically play in the English County Championship and sort of represent all Wales - at least their triumphs are celebrated as Welsh sporting endeavours,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glamorgan_County_Cricket_Club

Internationally, Wales are ehh represented by England (''The England and Wales Cricket Board'' is the administration). Yes it is not very logical!! It was the same situation with Scotland until the mid '90s; England were actually captained by a Scot (Mike Denness).

A great cricketer from Wales: Simon Jones. Pity injuries curtailed his career.

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 hours ago, J Dog said:

*slow clap* YAWN! baseball is boring

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

try hitting that!

He was our overseas player, 2003 - 04. He didn't play a great deal as he was knackered but he managed 42 wickets. We replaced him with Mike Hussey - this was before Hussey had made it into the Australian Test team - who as captain got us promoted 2005.

Apparently Akhtar liked to shag around, and once missed a Pakistan match or a series through a case of genital warts!! I love that era for Pakistan; you had those players who suddenly became religious nuts, grew gigantic beards and began praying to Allah during nets - Inzy, Saqlain and Mushy. Mohammad Yousuf was originally a Christian who converted to Islam, grew the beard and changed his name (he was originally Yousuf Youhana).

Edited by DieselDaisy

On 22 January 2017 at 11:08 PM, Fitha_whiskey said:

Are there ever what we call in baseball "beanball wars"? Meaning, does the bowler ever just drill the batsman for no other reason than to send a message and inflict some pain? 

The Body Line series is what you are looking for. 

The English called it leg theory and had used it in county cricket for years. The West Indies also had used it (against the English). The Aussies couldn't handle the tactical ingenuity and pace and had a hissy fit, promptly labeling it 'Bodyline'. Incidentally, the ball that hit Woodfull on the heart was not set to a leg theory field but a regular one (so it is academic regardless).

Big diplomatic incident. With Hitler and the Japanese getting itchy feet, the British and Australians had to intervene to prevent a diplomatic incident.

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The English called it leg theory and had used it in county cricket for years. The West Indies also had used it (against the English). The Aussies couldn't handle the tactical ingenuity and pace and had a hissy fit, promptly labeling it 'Bodyline'. Incidentally, the ball that hit Woodfull on the heart was not set to a leg theory field but a regular one (so it is academic regardless).

Big diplomatic incident. With Hitler and the Japanese getting itchy feet, the British and Australians had to intervene to prevent a diplomatic incident.

No brawling though. Just not cricket. Bothan smoked weed though I think. 

Cricket is a hard sell. The perils of the reading too many Wisdom cricket annuals. 

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I heard Beefy shagged Miss Jamaica so hard he broke the bed.

I have this idea that he played for Doncaster Rovers at football but I've never  checked to make sure it's true. 

Edited by wasted