We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I heard he once called Pakistan 'somewhere to send the mother in law' :lol:  I always bring that up in family discussions just to get everyone at it.

Because he had problems finding booze on tour there.

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I heard Beefy shagged Miss Jamaica so hard he broke the bed.

Miss Barbados.

He had a later affair with an Australian barmaid or something or other. Not that long ago really - 2003ish, doing his Sky stuff.

3 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

In some ways, it sounds like a ball player is a ball player on both sides of the pond. Liquor & whores as the song goes...

Cricketing culture in the '70s and '80 was really boozy. Players would actually be drinking beer in the pavilion before going out to bat. Fitness was rudimentary. Diets consisted of pies and chips - and beer.

Sadly that has changed with all of the dieticians, fitness gurus and sports scientists floating around the game - as with all sports now.

Moeen Ali withdraws from PSL to undertake pilgrimage

Moeen Ali has opted out of participating in the second season of the Pakistan Super League and will instead join members of his family on a pilgrimage to Mecca.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan-super-league-2016-17/content/story/1079397.html

Got to love Pakistan cricketers and cricketers of Pakistan heritage.

On 1/25/2017 at 6:02 PM, DieselDaisy said:

The one where he lies down is hilarious.

Inzamam is also one of the few players to be given out for obstruction,

So, as I understand it, the fielder's throw was trying to hit the wicket while he was out of the crease, right? Unless I'm not understanding something (very likely :lol:), that should be an easy call right? I would think that's a common play, but you say he's one of the few to be called out on it? I must be missing something.

18 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

So, as I understand it, the fielder's throw was trying to hit the wicket while he was out of the crease, right? Unless I'm not understanding something (very likely :lol:), that should be an easy call right? I would think that's a common play, but you say he's one of the few to be called out on it? I must be missing something.

The batsman isn't allowed to deliberately run in the way of the ball in order to stop it from hitting the wicket. Getting run out, which is where the ball is thrown against the stumps whilst the player is out of the crease, is quite common, but the player in the video, Inzamam, was notoriously poor at running between the wickets and was "run out" many more times than average.

3 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

The batsman isn't allowed to deliberately run in the way of the ball in order to stop it from hitting the wicket. Getting run out, which is where the ball is thrown against the stumps whilst the player is out of the crease, is quite common, but the player in the video, Inzamam, was notoriously poor at running between the wickets and was "run out" many more times than average.

Ok- what you explain is what I thought the rule would be. What if the runner doesn't obstruct the ball "intentionally"? Like he's running toward the stumps and the throw hits him in the back, but would have hit the stumps. Is he out then also? 

43 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Ok- what you explain is what I thought the rule would be. What if the runner doesn't obstruct the ball "intentionally"? Like he's running toward the stumps and the throw hits him in the back, but would have hit the stumps. Is he out then also? 

In that case he would not be out.

12 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

I saw that this happened in NZ today...That probably left a mark!

I watched that match (which was superb by the way - best one dayer I've seen in awhile) and the official coverage does not show streakers because it does not want to award them air time. It is the same for all the other sports. I find it very mean spirited as I always laugh my head off at streakers. We had a streaker at a Durham v Yorkies one dayer in torrential rain(the game had just been called off) and it was hilarious. The security chaps were chasing him like keystone cops.

• Like 1

Captain Cook has resigned the captaincy I see.

Mixed record Cook has. Some glorious highs,

- v India 2012

- v South Africa 2016

- 2013 and 2015 home Ashes triumphs

and some dreary lows,

- Ashes 'whitewash' down under, 2013-14

- defeat at home by Sri Lanka, 2014

- and of course recently, the Indian debacle

Throw in a drawn series against a terrible West Indian team who everyone murders these days, and failure to get to the Pakistanis, both away (a loss for England) and at home (a keenly fought draw) and it is not the greatest record. Specifically he had a habit of letting the game, the overs, wander away at times, lacking the technical nous to make fielding changes and instigate wickets.

3CE7EF1000000578-4197512-image-a-5_14864

Edited by DieselDaisy
Added picture

• 2 months later...