We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

Notts' dream attack of quicks,

Broad/Harry Gurney

James Patterson

Luke Fletcher

Jake Ball

I do not think there has been an attack such as this in awhile. They demolished Durham the other week which I was unfortunate enough to see in person and have just demolished Sussex in two days. Fortunately Broad and Patterson will be pulled away for internationals.

11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

1894. Derbyshire began playing there four years later.

So is that the oldest park in Britain cricket? That's pretty old. Our oldest MLB ballpark is Wrigley Field, which is like 1907 or so. Then Fenway Park at 1914- opened the same week Titanic sank. But really they look nothing like they did back then, except parts of the outside. But, the one in your photo is a totally different animal anyway, so I digress....

1 hour ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

So is that the oldest park in Britain cricket? That's pretty old. Our oldest MLB ballpark is Wrigley Field, which is like 1907 or so. Then Fenway Park at 1914- opened the same week Titanic sank. But really they look nothing like they did back then, except parts of the outside. But, the one in your photo is a totally different animal anyway, so I digress....

Not by a long shot. Trent Bridge, Nottinghamshire's ground and an England test ground ('test' basically equates 'international') was founded 1841. The Oval, Surrey's cricket ground and also another test ground was founded 1845. Canterbury, Kent's main ground, is 1847. Old Trafford, Lancashire's and again another test venue is 1857, etc etc. Most of England's 'first-class' grounds, that is where top flight domestic cricket is played, were built 1840-1890. But there are older 'club' grounds in which cricket is recorded as being played from as far back as the 17th century (i.e. before the game was properly codified). Mitcham Cricket Green claims to be the oldest still in use. Cricket has been played there since 1685 and it is still going strong as Mitcham cricket club play there today.

A lot of the first-class grounds - particularly the test venues - have been modernised like your baseball grounds to varying success, with modern seating, media centres, wifi etc. Some of them manage to modernise while maintaining their old character and certain historic buildings like Victorian era pavilions and scoreboards. Others become modern abominations and controversial (like what happened to the Adelaide Oval in Australia). Some of them remain untouched like the smaller, more 'quintessentially English' grounds - Chesterfield is a good example of that.

Modern grounds are rare but they're a few, e.g. Durham's (1995) and the Rose Bowl, Hampshire's (2001). The English way is to stick with the old grounds and modernise those (if needed).

Cricket grounds come in all shapes in sizes. In England we have 'grounds'. Even our bigger grounds are usually around 17,000 capacity. In Australia and India they have cricket stadia and indeed these are some of the largest stadia in the world. Guns N' Roses just recently played at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), Victoria's ground and another test venue, a whopping 100,000 capacity stadium.

cricket-1444641949.jpg

But again that is as old as any cricket ground: 1853.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

That's interesting. I imagine they all have their own personality too, just like we do here with baseball. I definitely noticed the difference from that NZ video of that streaker vs the photos you posted. Party central vs laid back day at the park. I'd like to go to a cricket match at an old school British grounds and ponder the origins of baseball...

This has the be the most beautiful cricket ground, Dharamsala, India,

dharamshala-cricket-stadium.jpg

The Himalayas in the background!!

I'd love to visit it.

You cannot beat Newlands though, Table Mountain as the backdrop,

newlands.jpg

But there is still something perfect about those quintessential English grounds with their greenery and churches such as this, New Road, Worcester,

article-2109239-004FE09F00000258-652_468

I also like seasidey ones also like Scarborough and Hove.

Yes, cricket grounds come in all shapes and sizes. All ages also.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

This has the be the most beautiful cricket ground, Dharamsala, India,

dharamshala-cricket-stadium.jpg

The Himalayas in the background!!

I'd love to visit it.

You cannot beat Newlands though, Table Mountain as the backdrop,

newlands.jpg

But there is still something perfect about those quintessential English grounds with their greenery and churches such as this, New Road, Worcester,

article-2109239-004FE09F00000258-652_468

I also like seasidey ones also like Scarborough and Hove.

Yes, cricket grounds come in all shapes and sizes. All ages also.

Redcar! :lol:

3245223_66487de8.jpg

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Redcar! :lol:

3245223_66487de8.jpg

Probably better than Grace Road (Leicestershire) and the County Ground (Derbyshire). Grace Road has barbed wire on the walls and you walk through a down-and-out area filled with graffiti. Probably better than Headingley infact!

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Probably better than Grace Road (Leicestershire) and the County Ground (Derbyshire). Grace Road has barbed wire on the walls and you walk through a down-and-out area filled with graffiti. Probably better than Headingley infact!

My mate Rob used to live in a student house on St Michael's Lane in Headingley. House was directly across the road from the turnstiles to the ground. I think I've still got a set of practice stumps we nicked from there on a late night raid back in 2001 or so. :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The IPL. Terrible. Never watch it.

At one of the IPL games they had a ''Wenger out'' sign apparently haha.

I was in Kashmir a month back and found myself watching cricket.  This tiny little TV with 50 people gathered around, all these local Pakistani teams, I noticed Viv Richards was in charge of one of em, like he was the coach or whatever.  

Edited by Len Cnut

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I was in Kashmir a month back and found myself watching cricket.  This tiny little TV with 50 people gathered around, all these local Pakistani teams, I noticed Viv Richards was in charge of one of em, like he was the coach or whatever.  

Pakistan Super League, Pakistan's variant of the Twenty20 franchise tournaments. Don't watch it. It is played in the UAE because of terrorism but this year they decided to run the final in Lahore. All the English players chickened out, all except Chris Jordan. 

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Kashmir?? It was Pentonville nick and you know it:lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

What were you doing there? Jihad?

LITERALLY everyone has said that? :lol:  'been at the ol' training camp have ya?' :lol:  Do me a favour, give em a cheeky a nod when it's time for the off, I wouldn't want to be on the No 10 bus when you finally strike', fuckssake:lol:

• Like 1