We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

Probably because his Test nation are a bunch of no hopers.

You are never going to amount to much if your best players cannot be arsed to turn up for Tests and are more interested in jerry built cash grab tournaments. Can you imagine if the IPL and Big Bash were around in the 1970s and 1980s, Lloyd, Richards and Holding refusing to wear the maroon cap in favour of playing for the Calcutta Knightriders or some other stupid team for money? That great West Indies team would have never amounted to anything either!

First rate/Test cricket is the absolute pinnacle of the sport. Pity some cricketers do not realise that.

It is a real shame about Gayle. With application, he really could have been something.

The West Indies have really gone downhill since the late 90's. Fuck me they had some players back in the day.

The thing I don't get is they still produce half decent cricketers, but they don't seem to win much at all.

Well, I suppose he is in the one day game. Gayle does not value first rate cricket? What do you do? What do you say to that? For me and many others, it is the pinnacle of the sport. You cannot really force him to agree however. I still think this is the prevalent view for 80% cricketers - even the ones who successfully juggle test cricket with T20, people like Brian Warner and de Villiers. Could you imagine an Australian turning down the Green Baggy in favour of their IPL club - especially if it was against England?

As to the Windies, the inter-island background politics and complaints about cash does not help either. It took somebody of Clive Lloyd's genius to weld together all these different people from different islands. Before that they were seen as 'calypso cricketers'. I think also you just have to accept the fact that the 'assembly line runs dry' from time to time. It seems presumptuous somehow to think they could continue to produce players like Roberts, Holding, Richards, Lloyd, Lara, Ambrose et al. Eventually there is going to be a dip. Similar with the Australians after 2006-07. Should we really expect, the next Warne, McGrath, etc.

Just make England, Yorkshire CCC. Lyth for Trott and get Lees in to replace Cook.

Incidentally, I am certain Yorkshire are going to be damaged a bit from all these England call ups. If Sidebottom is injured they are basically relying on Brooks.

Edited by DieselDaisy

I don't see why Adli Rashid is playing? He is quite good.

Graeme Swann was overlooked for selection for years whilst England searched in vain for a spinner who could take wickets at test level, now that he has retired they seem to be going through the same process with Rashid?

Yeah but wasn't Swann shit at the start though?

Rashid can bat at 7 or 8, is a leg spinner and decent fielder. The only weakness I can think of is he is known to bowl a few bad balls, but he is a wicket taker.

It is fair to say that he probably wasn't ready for England when they first took him on tour to South Africa back in 99 or whenever it was, but he did have decent county averages (with bat and ball) and it's not like any of the alternatives they tried during those years set the world alight? (Except for Monty who is the end of a leg)

As for Rashid, I personally prefer that he bowl a few bad balls trying to get batsmen out rather than your typical spinner who just whizzes through a few overs without threatening the batsmen whilst the seam bowlers have a bit of a rest