We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

It was a freak accident but it was from a type of aggressive bowling which has caused controversy in the past because there, is an element of intimidation, even 'roughing up' the batsman. Basically the delivery, called a bouncer, hits the ground short and at a tremendous pace, meaning it reaches up to a batsman's head height, i.e. it is not really aiming to hit the stumps but aimed at the batsman himself.

Have a look at this, Red (it is only three minutes long so do not worry!). This is a masterclass in aggressive bowling,

See what I mean?

There has been - and to certain extent, still is - a lobby of the cricket community who sees this as, antithetical to sportsmanship and fairplay: ''it is just not cricket ole' boy''.

PS

This is not to slight Abbott who is completely 100% blameless and must feel devastated. Legally, bouncers are permitted and are a part of cricket. It was an unfortunate series of circumstances, Hughes playing a wild hook - which he should never have attempted - with the ball heading for the wrong area of the batsman's profile at the wrong time. This all happened at a tremendous speed (reducing the time frame for human reaction to a minuscule amount).

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

Honestly, I've played against people and struggled to get them out. When I get frustrated, my bouncer does become aggressively aimed at the helmet.

I've left people with bruised eye sockets and I take a bit of satisfaction when I have a batsman stumbling around the crease.

What's happened is certainly going to play on my mind when I'm netting next week. I can't even watch the tributes on Sky Sports, it feels too close to home.

When we used to play in school we'd deliberately bowl at peoples heads. Makes you think now.

That's exactly it. I once spent an entire net session bouncing batsmen who didn't wear helmets with some really aggressive stuff. No intention of taking wickets, just trying to build a reputation of fear.

I doubt that any bowler in their right mind actually sets out to harm the batsman, it's more of an intimidation thing. To unsettle the batsman with the view to forcing the mistake. The batsman makes the choice to either attempt to play at the ball, or get out of the way. If you play at the ball, you run the risk of mis-timing it and potentially getting hurt.

The freak part about this particular incident is WHERE it hit. A bit higher,a bit more to the left, he would still be here. It just happened to hit a part of the head not protected by the helmet. I've been hit in the side if the head with a cricket ball, hard enough to break the screws where the faceplate attaches to the helmet. It hurt like hell. I can only imagine the damage it would do to an unprotected part of the head.

It hit his neck, not his head:

"Philip took the blow at the side of his neck, and as a result of that blow, his vertebral artery, one of the main arteries leading to the brain, was compressed by the ball," team doctor Peter Brukner said at a press conference on Thursday.

"That caused the artery to split, and for bleeding to go up into the brain. And he has a massive bleed into his brain."

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-11-27/phil-hughes-death-ball-split-major-artery-in-neck-causing-massive-bleed-in-brain/

I haven't the slightest idea of how this sport is played, but I did hear about this freak accident, and it is very sad and upsetting. There was a local boy who was playing baseball and suffered a similar injury from a freak ball that killed him, and it was really heartbreaking. I hope that this can all be prevented next time without any compromises to the integrity of cricket.

Wasn't it a freak accident though?

Or is there a technique used in bowling where this outcome was a known possibility? I don't know enough about cricket to understand how it happened but based on the news reports I thought it was just a freak occurrence, which by rights could happen to anyone on the pitch.

It was certainly a freak occurence the way it managed to sneak under his helmet and hit him in a spot that would cause such damage. But like Diesel says, the bouncer is essentially a ball which is bowled around head height. As a batsman you can either take the shot on or try to get the fuck out of the way, in both cases there's a risk of getting hit in the head. The helmet is there to protect you but in this case Hughes had turned his head to play the hook shot which exposed the neck. I can't see how they can design a helmet which is going to protect the whole of the neck? And I tend to agree that banning the bouncer completely would be the wrong thing to do

It was a freak accident but it was from a type of aggressive bowling which has caused controversy in the past because there, is an element of intimidation, even 'roughing up' the batsman. Basically the delivery, called a bouncer, hits the ground short and at a tremendous pace, meaning it reaches up to a batsman's head height, i.e. it is not really aiming to hit the stumps but aimed at the batsman himself.

Have a look at this, Red (it is only three minutes long so do not worry!). This is a masterclass in aggressive bowling,

See what I mean?

There has been - and to certain extent, still is - a lobby of the cricket community who sees this as, antithetical to sportsmanship and fairplay: ''it is just not cricket ole' boy''.

PS

This is not to slight Abbott who is completely 100% blameless and must feel devastated. Legally, bouncers are permitted and are a part of cricket. It was an unfortunate series of circumstances, Hughes playing a wild hook - which he should never have attempted - with the ball heading for the wrong area of the batsman's profile at the wrong time. This all happened at a tremendous speed (reducing the time frame for human reaction to a minuscule amount).

As a lay person who has never understood and therefore watched cricket I find this antithetical to sportsmanship. How can one hit a ball aimed at one's head, with a bat held in one's hands? It's just not possible to actually hit the ball. But I can also see where the lines get blurred.....it's extremely open for interpretation and it's a 'game'.....the intention with professional sport is precisely to make it as difficult as possible to hit the ball.

But when someone dies as a result of a ball being bowled at the batsmanship above his waist, instead of below the waist, and with knowledge of the possibility of injury......that's not sport anymore. Cricket isn't dare devil stuff, it never has been and never will. It's about skill and fair play and should be won that way.

Red, the hook and pull shots are a difficult skill to master. They are beautiful to play and to watch.

The contest between bat and ball is the most important thing at the end of the day, no matter how tragic this incident.

The bouncer should stay, it's a test of the batsmans skill and confidence. A truly great batsman will deal with it 75% of the time.

New shots have emerged from T20 cricket to combat the bouncer, and it's great to see.

I am not sure I 100% believe that some bowlers do not see aggressive bowling as a way to cause injury - I am of course talking about a bit of black and blue on the body, not a fatality! When you hear Michael Clarke say to Jimmy Anderson: ''get ready for a broken arm'' you understand where I am coming from. It is a part of cricket's ''blokish'' culture. Bowlers wacking around a batsman a bit; batsmen being able to 'take it'.

• 2 months later...

I have to go out in a minute but I will briefly say one thing: Viv Richards took the One Day format and established it as, something exciting and credible. Many people were writing the format off before Richards produced those innings in the 1970s world cups. I would actually say Sir Viv brought cricket into the modern era.

By the way, England look a shambles (as per usual).

I have to go out in a minute but I will briefly say one thing: Viv Richards took the One Day format and established it as, something exciting and credible. Many people were writing the format off before Richards produced those innings in the 1970s world cups. I would actually say Sir Viv brought cricket into the modern era.

By the way, England look a shambles (as per usual).

At least England haven't given us false hope by winning against Australia

BBC poll for the best ODI XI

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/30983202

I will have a go:

1. Tendulkar

2. Amla

3. Richards

4. Lara

5. Ponting

6. Dhoni (wk)

7. Kallis

8. Wasim

9. Younis

10. Donald

11. Warne

Tough being only allowed to choose one all-rounder! Was tempted to go with Afridi as all-rounder to have two spinners :)

Sehwag

Tendular

Ponting

Viv Richards

Clive Lloyd

Gilchrist (w)

Khan

Akram

Younis

Muralitharan

McGrath

I have stuck Lloyd in there to be captain and turn the group into a team. I went for Khan because of his heroics in 1992 - he can be vice captain. I went for Muralitharan over Warne because he has a better OD record, although I admit I am sacrificing his duo with McGrath. I would have been tempted to stick one of the Windies fast pacers there, Holding or Marshall in there, but, space!

NB the lack of Englishman. Proof if proof is needed on our miserable OD form.

I will have a go:

1. Tendulkar

2. Amla

3. Richards

4. Lara

5. Ponting

6. Dhoni (wk)

7. Kallis

8. Wasim

9. Younis

10. Donald

11. Warne

Tough being only allowed to choose one all-rounder! Was tempted to go with Afridi as all-rounder to have two spinners :)

Sehwag

Tendular

Ponting

Viv Richards

Clive Lloyd

Gilchrist (w)

Khan

Akram

Younis

Muralitharan

McGrath

I have stuck Lloyd in there to be captain and turn the group into a team. I went for Khan because of his heroics in 1992 - he can be vice captain. I went for Muralitharan over Warne because he has a better OD record, although I admit I am sacrificing his duo with McGrath. I would have been tempted to stick one of the Windies fast pacers there, Holding or Marshall in there, but, space!

Just my opinion, but Muralitharan has a better ODI record due to the fact he played more games against lesser sides. Plus Warne was better with the bat.

I will have a go:

1. Tendulkar

2. Amla

3. Richards

4. Lara

5. Ponting

6. Dhoni (wk)

7. Kallis

8. Wasim

9. Younis

10. Donald

11. Warne

Sehwag

Tendular

Ponting

Viv Richards

Clive Lloyd

Gilchrist (w)

Khan

Akram

Younis

Muralitharan

McGrath

Just my opinion, but Muralitharan has a better ODI record due to the fact he played more games against lesser sides. Plus Warne was better with the bat.

Muralitharan has 534 OD wickets, 498 of which were against 'test status sides'. Warne has 293 OD wickets, 285 of which were against test sides. Muralitharan has significantly more wickets against Asian opposition, 74 Indian wickets (to Warne's 15), 96 Pakistani wickets (to Warne's 37). He has outperformed Warne against New Zealand (74 to Warne's 49). Vs England there is not a lot between them, Warne taking 22, Muralitharan, 28. Warne only outperformed Muralitharan against the South Africans and West Indians.

In fairness Muralitharan played 350 ODIs, to Warne's 194, but you are left with what happened!

Black Caps, victory in the w.c - you heard it here first. They seem to be peaking at the right time, have a good team ethic and, in Brendon McCullum, have potentially one of the best players of the tournament. Australia and S. Africa are the more obvious victors. Pakistan might do something if Afridi shows up. Cannot see Sri Lanka (past their sell by date) or India doing anything. England might get beaten by Australia but have to take something from that game, and bounce back and, you never know? They at least have an outsiders chance. Windies are in a state of total collapse.

Black Caps, victory in the w.c - you heard it here first. They seem to be peaking at the right time, have a good team ethic and, in Brendon McCullum, have potentially one of the best players of the tournament. Australia and S. Africa are the more obvious victors. Pakistan might do something if Afridi shows up. Cannot see Sri Lanka (past their sell by date) or India doing anything. England might get beaten by Australia but have to take something from that game, and bounce back and, you never know? They at least have an outsiders chance. Windies are in a state of total collapse.

You could be right. The Kiwis have a recent history of beating us Aussies in international competition in other sports of late.

Should be a good tournament.