Did Axl ever sing with the Cult?

I know that Ian once claimed that Axl, Slash, Izzy, Billy Duffy and himself jammed together in a (NYC? I think) recording studio during their tour. The photo could be from that session, but Ian looks like he's in his Sonic Temple getup and that would place the photo a few years after '87, probably more like '91.

It was in July 1989 - at The Loft/Scrap Bar in New York. From 4 am to. 8., they jam on Aerosmith, Stones & Black Sabbath covers. The Setlist might be incomplete, but: Mama Kin, Rock And Roll, Satisfaction, Paranoid, blues jam, The Garden, Yesterdays

There's an interview and recording of Axl & Del James at the Scrap Bar, may 19 rehearsing The Garden & Yesterdays, so there is something of a confusing mix of dates around this time, but the videclip says july - it could mean it was released in july maybe...i'm not sure though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m63Vp7kza1E#t=312

• Like 1

Ian-and-Axl-photo-by-Dana-Frank2.jpg

http://2fast2die.com/2012/03/interview-cult-singer-ian-astbury-aims-new-weapon-at-sxsw-talks-then-now-beyond/

Was Guns N’Roses a corrupting influence on the “Electric” tour?
Actually, the opposite is true. They were the understudies. We’d already been at it for six or seven years. We cut our teeth through post-industrial punk rock Britain, we’d gone through Europe, we’d already been through several United States tours with bands that had junkie tour managers (pulling) revolvers after midnight. On that tour, I was the guy getting chased by the cops.
Are you telling me the Cult was a bad influence on GN’R?!
I wouldn’t say we were a bad influence, because they were already locked and loaded. They were already bad boys. The difference is, with the Cult, we never bragged about it. The braggadocio of, like, “Hey, I’m a badass …” It wasn’t really in our lexicon, because for me, I didn’t really want to be perceived as just … that was it … that was all I had. That tour was one of the most amazing tours to be a part of.
I have great respect and admiration and love for those guys. We came up through the same time and they went through the roof! “Sweet Child O’ Mine” went through the roof and I think I completely understand Axl’s desire to have been reclusive and perhaps act out the way he’s acted out in the past. I have a lot of empathy for them. You put any young man in a situation where all of a sudden you come from a volatile upbringing and you’re the lowest thing on the totem pole, and then all of a sudden everybody’s putting you out there and going, “Now you’re No.1 and we love you!” You’re, like, “What?” Your head spins too much.
I saw Guns N’ Roses at the Marquee in London in, like, March of ’87 and I said to my manager, “We have to play with this band. They’re amazing.” I just felt such a kinship with them and where they were going. And also our ages, our passions, our interests … they were unabashedly, unabashedly embracing hard rock, glam rock, punk rock. They were right in the same psychic space as we were.
As it evolved, they were the opening act because I picked them and I pushed for them. I had to push for this band! I had to fight for this band! People were telling me, “Are you f**king kidding me?” I’d be doing radio interviews and (the deejays) would say, (in perfect stoner-dude cadence) “Hey, great to have you here. So, what are you listening to?” I’d be, like, “Uh, Guns N’Roses, they’re performing with us.” And they’d be like, “Oh, wow, we don’t play them here.” And I’d be, like, “Why not?” Of course, in hindsight, everyone’s got rose-tinted glasses. There’s been several books … Slash’s book came out and there was a book on Guns N’ Roses where they talk about the Cult and the tour … and I’ve heard things, like, we tried to screw with their sound at one show. Are you kidding? Are you kidding me? I would go out and champion this band at every single opportunity I got. There’s a camaraderie that we’ll have that nobody else will ever experience. My girlfriend at the time straightened Axl Rose’s hair and put one of my bandanas on his head and that became his look. That was my look!
Axl-wearing-Cult-Electric2.jpg

It was in July 1989 - at The Loft/Scrap Bar in New York. From 4 am to. 8., they jam on Aerosmith, Stones & Black Sabbath covers. The Setlist might be incomplete, but: Mama Kin, Rock And Roll, Satisfaction, Paranoid, blues jam, The Garden, Yesterdays

There's an interview and recording of Axl & Del James at the Scrap Bar, may 19 rehearsing The Garden & Yesterdays, so there is something of a confusing mix of dates around this time, but the videclip says july - it could mean it was released in july maybe...i'm not sure though...

Thought it was West Arkeen?

Thought it was West Arkeen?

Yes, it's West Arkeen

My girlfriend at the time straightened Axl Rose’s hair and put one of my bandanas on his head and that became his look. That was my look!

I always suspected this, but i'm not sure. Now i know it, thanks

I always feel an Axl vibe, whenver i saw the Cult Shee Sells Sanctuary vide clip (but the fun thing is the song is older than the succes of GNR,lol)

Edited by Crash Diet

I seen the cult in 93 when they played milton keynes with gnr and from what i remember the cult were the best band of the day, this was on the 2nd night

I was there on the 1st night. Blind melon and soul asylum were the other support acts.

I seen the cult in 93 when they played milton keynes with gnr and from what i remember the cult were the best band of the day, this was on the 2nd night

I was there on the 1st night. Blind melon and soul asylum were the other support acts.

yes thats the same as the 2nd night, i got tickets and got into the field just as gnr were coming on the first night so was lucky enough to see them both nights.

was a long weekend, left scotland at 10am saturday and got to m/k around 7pm, no sleep till the train home on monday lol