The job hunting thread

GivenToFly

You guys really need to learn about millimetres. It will provide greater accuracy than inches.

On the up side, the business has started to really gain interest over the last fortnight.

Brits trying to teach us about the metric system, and then going on to speak of "fortnights." :facepalm:

Sorry Deeds but I'm not aware of a metric alternative for time measurement. :lol:

It wasn't that it's metric, it's that we get criticized for stupid and arbitrary measurements, and then those that criticize use even more arbitrary and outdated measurements like a "fortnight."

Fortnight = Fourteen Nights. It's no more arbitrary than biweekly is it?

Biweekly defines itself.

Joined http://www.therecruitmentshop.co.uk/

because it's 5 minutes around the corner.

Am excited about this temp Christmas/seasonal job in customer services for Vue Cinema in Shepherd's Bush they were telling me about, but they also offer warehouse work in labouring.

I registered successfully today, and will be sent jobs through them.

You guys really need to learn about millimetres. It will provide greater accuracy than inches.

On the up side, the business has started to really gain interest over the last fortnight.

Brits trying to teach us about the metric system, and then going on to speak of "fortnights." :facepalm:

Sorry Deeds but I'm not aware of a metric alternative for time measurement. :lol:

It wasn't that it's metric, it's that we get criticized for stupid and arbitrary measurements, and then those that criticize use even more arbitrary and outdated measurements like a "fortnight."

Fortnight = Fourteen Nights. It's no more arbitrary than biweekly is it?

Biweekly defines itself.
But is biweekly twice a week, or every two weeks?

I couldn't say that I've been doing well the last biweek, could I?

A biweek sounds like an LGBTQ event anyway.

And back on topic: the Pennsylvania job say no.

It's really great that my fortunes have turned the last biweek so I can remain self-employed.

This is turning into the yoga pants drama again.

Edited by Gracii Guns

Does "biweekly" mean twice every week or every other week? The same for "biannual".

Every other week I believe

I think it means twice a week.

Weekly meaning everyweek and bi meaning basically 2.

Here is the definition........hope this clears it up for everyone......... :lol:

bi·week·ly
bīˈwēklē/
adjective & adverb
adjective: biweekly; adverb: biweekly; adjective: bi-weekly
    1. 1.
    1. appearing or taking place every two weeks or twice a week.
      "a biweekly bulletin"
  1. noun
noun: biweekly; plural noun: biweeklies; noun: bi-weekly; plural noun: bi-weeklies
a periodical that appears every two weeks or twice a week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm announcing that I'm going to be on the job hunt again. 

Freelancing is ok, but my main client don't have the budget and financially it's not working out for me because of this.

I had 14 consecutive failed interviews last time. Let's see how many I can rack up now. :) 

• 4 weeks later...
On 13.3.2016 at 7:32 PM, Gracii Guns said:

I'm announcing that I'm going to be on the job hunt again. 

Freelancing is ok, but my main client don't have the budget and financially it's not working out for me because of this.

I had 14 consecutive failed interviews last time. Let's see how many I can rack up now. :) 

May I ask what has been your freelancing job? I'll probably end up being a freelancer too, that's why I ask.

And good luck with that marketing job!

• 1 month later...

Gracemund has interview #15 on Friday.

I got a call from a recruiter who I've been on the books of for years, and she's not got me one interview. She calls me yesterday, and my initial response was to turn it down and pursue the business, as I had decided. But she calls while I'm in the middle of writing an invoice for my main client, who I know isn't going to want to pay me in full. So I told her to go for it. 

The interview is at 10am on Friday. I don't think I'll get it, as it's a really corporate job, and by comparison I'm a bit of a wildchild (in the eyes of corporate types anyway).

I interviewed for a job last week and really want it. I have been spending every day since then staring at my phone during business hours hoping it will ring and be the lady that interviewed me. Every day that goes by without hearing anything, I lose a little hope, though. Almost as nerve-wracking is checking my email to see if a rejection notice is in there. Ugh I hope I get it. 

• Like 1

@DirtyDeeds What's the job? Still in hospitality? 

I do hope you get it. 

I know how that feeling is- so frustrating.

The next worse feeling is when you don't get the job, but politely enquire about some feedback, and they're so vague. "We felt another candidate was more suited to the role". No shit Sherlock! Or "we felt you weren't the right cultural fit" which is a way of saying "your skills are excellent, but we want to discriminate against you without a court case". 

for the past 2 weeks i had to conduct about 10 interviews and may i say that it was probably same frustrating as being interviewed! oh the agony of choice :wacko:  

Edited by netcat

For anyone who is on Linkedin (or isn't for that matter), and is interested in getting some quality advice on recruiting or being recruitable, these two are really good influencers to follow - Lou Adler and Bruce Kasanoff. While some of their advice is very specific to certain situations, they share a lot of great general advice on recruiting and explain some important principles that are usually easily overlooked when people are in the process of job hunting, in a very simple, direct way. Some of the articles in their back catalogue are really, really good even in terms of making yourself more valuable in your present job. Highly recommend them.

I've just had an epiphany.

On Friday, I am going to not include in my portfolio the iPad magazines which have been the core of my workload for the last 4 years. It's up-to-date technology, something very different which makes me stand out. But I don't think that many companies can see themselves using that particular output within their business. 

I'm going to just present my print, website and app work- which is what every company and his dog wants to see. 

How does that sound?

28 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

I've just had an epiphany.

On Friday, I am going to not include in my portfolio the iPad magazines which have been the core of my workload for the last 4 years. It's up-to-date technology, something very different which makes me stand out. But I don't think that many companies can see themselves using that particular output within their business. 

I'm going to just present my print, website and app work- which is what every company and his dog wants to see. 

How does that sound?

What jobs are you going for Grace? What's your profession, it's in journalism/printing?

10 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

@spunko12345 Friday's a general Graphic Design job. 

Honestly, as much as I'm an ambassador for journalism and publishing, I'm very scared about my future. I'm 26 and hopefully have many days ahead of me where I have to put food on the table. Unless everyone works at Vogue, I think we're doomed.

26 gives you plenty of time to crack it, whatever you do dont chuck the towel in. Easy to say i know, the shit job that pays more seems appealing but once you take that job your cv has big voids for an employer who you really do want to work for. Take the hit in the pay for as long as you can. 

To be honest I know nothing about graphic design so before replying I googled it and this came up its in leeds which is in Yorkshire and your from York right? up North so must be close :lol:

http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/digital-designer/29737986#/jobs/media-digital-creative/graphic-design

19 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

@DirtyDeeds What's the job? Still in hospitality? 

Heck no. I am never going to seek another job in hospitality. I'm only holding on to mine now to pay the bills until I can get out. My next job is going to be something I actually want to do. The job I interviewed for was at the museum portion of Kennedy Space Center in educational programming. 

• Like 2