The job hunting thread

GivenToFly

I just re-read this entire thread. It started out with everyone being really sweet, interested and supportive of each other.

Now it's basically just me, wondering where it all went so wrong! :P

Reading the posts about stuff which happened in my last job, I'm so glad I left. That was a toxic place to work. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 27 May 2016 at 1:33 PM, Gracii Guns said:

The interview went really well, however I think that about every interview I do. 

Didn't get the job. Same old story of positive feedback but someone else was more suited. 

It's annoying because now I run a business, every interview I have, eats into the money I could be earning if I was at work. 

On a more positive note, over the next few months, it's likely I'll get a desk space in a fancy office in town, and we might me moving house, so I'll get my own home office which isn't just a desk in the living room. And this week I'm going to be invoicing for what would normally take 2 weeks to earn in my last job. I think I'll just focus on the business, and try to not let the job rejections get to me. 

• Like 1

Aw that sucks gracii, Its awful when you really want a job and you get knocked back, it can be so hard to stay positive. 

I've got an interview coming up with NHS Derby, to work in the mental health facility there. It's something I've gone for about three times in the last couple years, passed all the examinations and initial processes, only to bottle out of the interview itself. 

Ive worked within the same care setting I'm currently at for 15 years, whilst I despair at the amount of funding cuts we have had, leading to my job being very difficult and soul destroying at times, I just can't bring myself to leave the place. 

I just don't know what to do for the best. I don't want to walk out on team mates I've worked with for years, even though there aren't that many of us left any more. 

• 5 months later...

So I've not been particularly happy at work for much of this year...we've been super short staffed for ages and I just don't feel the job is the same as when I started 2 years ago.  I interviewed with an AMAZING practice and have a 'trial day' tomorrow but they've basically said it's just for me to properly meet the team and see how the place runs day to day before they formally offer me the job.  I'd go from working in branch clinics by myself 3 days a week to being the most junior of 9 vets in one hospital, it's more money and the hours are more appealing.  But of course because it involves moving, and will be more challenging as I'll be pushed to develop more, my anxiety is kicking in that I'm going to do a terrible job, or make the wrong decision in whether I take the job or not :unsure:

I have been job hunting for the past six months after moving from Tucson back to Atlanta. Have plenty of managerial experience in purchasing, office management and sales. My problem is I seem to now be in the dead pool because of my age. This 50ish crap of being considered too old is dumb. I still have a lot to offer any job and have great references from all past employers and have always been one of the hardest workers at any job.  It sucks..

On 18/09/2015 at 4:47 PM, Gracii Guns said:

At this stage, I am seriously considering retraining for a more stable job. Though there's nothing I particularly want to do other than design (and I'm not good at much either). And we don't really have the money to pay for training. If anyone has any ideas?

Thanks guys,

G

Where are you looking for freelance work Gracii? I'm guessing you're on freelancer.com? I used to pick up quite a few good clients from there for programming jobs but they also cover graphic design :)

Also are you offering printing services to your current clients? I have a friend who does graphic design freelance and he has found this to be a good little revenue stream as he gets printing prices from a third party and then just slaps on an additional profit margin for himself. It means he gets continuously paid for one piece of graphic design work because his clients come back to him when they need things reprinting (brochures, business cards, etc).

Freelancing can be really tough, and at times even soul destroying when you can't pay the bills etc, but if you love the job I hope you'll stick at it and make it a success :)

15 hours ago, Axls Rocket Queen said:

So I've not been particularly happy at work for much of this year...we've been super short staffed for ages and I just don't feel the job is the same as when I started 2 years ago.  I interviewed with an AMAZING practice and have a 'trial day' tomorrow but they've basically said it's just for me to properly meet the team and see how the place runs day to day before they formally offer me the job.  I'd go from working in branch clinics by myself 3 days a week to being the most junior of 9 vets in one hospital, it's more money and the hours are more appealing.  But of course because it involves moving, and will be more challenging as I'll be pushed to develop more, my anxiety is kicking in that I'm going to do a terrible job, or make the wrong decision in whether I take the job or not :unsure:

In a similar position - but I want to move from a hospital to branch clinics..Whilst being in a hospital is great experience, nothing gives you responsibility like running branch clinics. I often feel like I'm not learning enough as I'm 'lower down'. Is your reason just the hours and money?

By 'moving' do you mean 'different town/city' or just moving 'job/clinic'? if it's the latter than that's normal :) I'm working at a hospital in Surrey, and it seems you probably work near where you live so I'm interested to see what area/hospital you were considering, maybe it's mine!

7 hours ago, Just a urchin said:

In a similar position - but I want to move from a hospital to branch clinics..Whilst being in a hospital is great experience, nothing gives you responsibility like running branch clinics. I often feel like I'm not learning enough as I'm 'lower down'. Is your reason just the hours and money?

By 'moving' do you mean 'different town/city' or just moving 'job/clinic'? if it's the latter than that's normal :) I'm working at a hospital in Surrey, and it seems you probably work near where you live so I'm interested to see what area/hospital you were considering, maybe it's mine!

It would be closer into London than I am now.  Where do you work?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, downliner said:

Where are you looking for freelance work Gracii? I'm guessing you're on freelancer.com? I used to pick up quite a few good clients from there for programming jobs but they also cover graphic design :)

Also are you offering printing services to your current clients? I have a friend who does graphic design freelance and he has found this to be a good little revenue stream as he gets printing prices from a third party and then just slaps on an additional profit margin for himself. It means he gets continuously paid for one piece of graphic design work because his clients come back to him when they need things reprinting (brochures, business cards, etc).

Freelancing can be really tough, and at times even soul destroying when you can't pay the bills etc, but if you love the job I hope you'll stick at it and make it a success :)

Nope- not on freelancer.com. I'll take a look. I've been doing lots of local networking recently, which I'm sure will pay dividends long-term. 

Yes, I do offer printing services to my clients. Most of my work is digital though, so it's not reliable. 

Many business owners I've met are just motivated by the money. Fortunately my husband is paying our bills, and I don't have any desire to become rich. This leaves a vast gaping hole in knowing what I want from my business, and having the incentive to work for it. Thanks for your encouragement. Looking forward to the new year and making good things happen. 

18 hours ago, Axls Rocket Queen said:

It would be closer into London than I am now.  Where do you work?

Currently near the Southwater area, so nowhere near London.

Suppose you can call it bordering into Sussex, but I'm looking to move near Redhill in the next year as I've eyed up a nursery place for my little one there which is ideal, fingers crossed.

It's nice to see another vet on here :P 

3 hours ago, Just a urchin said:

Currently near the Southwater area, so nowhere near London.

Suppose you can call it bordering into Sussex, but I'm looking to move near Redhill in the next year as I've eyed up a nursery place for my little one there which is ideal, fingers crossed.

It's nice to see another vet on here :P 

Ah cool :) I'm in Guildford currently, if I take the new job we'll probably move to the Wimbledon area.

• Like 1

On 07/12/2016 at 4:01 PM, Axls Rocket Queen said:

Ah cool :) I'm in Guildford currently, if I take the new job we'll probably move to the Wimbledon area.

Wimbledon is a really nice place - my best friend and her fiance rent an apartment there :) The only downside is how expensive it can be, but that's life :)

I hope you're happy in whatever decision you make :) :thumbsup:

Edited by Just a urchin
typo

Just wanted to to say to those of you out there looking for jobs, if you ever get an opportunity to do something that you would really love, don't let it slip away. Life is too short for regrets, I was offered a chance about 14 years ago by a friend from the old forum I was on. He was a writer and tried to persuade me to go to LA to help him do interviews for some articles he was doing on the music industry. My son was young and my ex got jealous, so I turned him down. I am still kicking myself to this day for not taking the chance. Who knows where I might be today if I had followed a dream.:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

On 12/13/2016 at 9:43 AM, Just a urchin said:

Will you be looking to live near the hospital?

Hopefully it isn't slap bang in the middle of Wimbledon due to costs :) Though you did say you live in Guildford which is ridiculous for rent anyway!

Yeah Wimbledon's not that bad compared to Guildford :lol: The job is near Sutton so hopefully not too bad a commute as I'll be going away from central London, trying to find a compromise between a reasonable commute for me and good transport links into central London.  My husband runs a web design and development agency so he's in the city a lot for meetings and networking events.

I've decided to retrain as a web designer. This is something I can sort of do anyway, but I've put it off taking it seriously, as for the most part, I find web design dull as dishwater. But there's plenty of jobs in it where I live. I've applied for a voluntary role as a web editor at a charity I care about, where I'll be able to use my skills and take my CV in a clearer digital direction. 

• Like 1