The job hunting thread

GivenToFly

ARQ, something else I want to tell you that I've always told my daughters. Never think you have to be a bitch to get anywhere in this world. Back in the '80's they portrayed women in movies and television that way, the women that made it, they had to be bitches. Not true! Those women that are that way in real life, they fail miserably. Be good to people and you will go far. They should teach that to young women coming out of college now. Servant leadership, that's the way to go. Lead by serving others. My girls finish my sentence now... "If you act as pretty as you look, you'll do alright." Remember that.

• Like 2

Guest Len B'stard

I think it is true...and its the same for men too, like John Lennon said you have to be a bastard to really make it and we (The Beatles) were the biggest bastards goin'.

i've always wanted to walk into an interview and ask, "why exactly

should i even consider working for you?"....

That really is a great question, you just turn it around a bit and ask, "Tell me, what do you like about working here?" That's what I asked.

Yes, that's a great question. I've also turned around their "where do you see yourself in 10 years" question and ask where they see the company in 10 years. Do they have plans for expansion, what sets them apart from their competitors, what opportunities are offered for growth, etc. As much as you're trying to sell yourself as the best candidate for the job, they should be selling themselves to you as well. It's harder in this current economic climate, but you still need to be assured that the position your looking to fill is going to be beneficial for you as well as them.

• Like 2

Guest Len B'stard

i've always wanted to walk into an interview and ask, "why exactly

should i even consider working for you?"....

That really is a great question, you just turn it around a bit and ask, "Tell me, what do you like about working here?" That's what I asked.

Yes, that's a great question. I've also turned around their "where do you see yourself in 10 years" question and ask where they see the company in 10 years. Do they have plans for expansion, what sets them apart from their competitors, what opportunities are offered for growth, etc. As much as you're trying to sell yourself as the best candidate for the job, they should be selling themselves to you as well. It's harder in this current economic climate, but you still need to be assured that the position your looking to fill is going to be beneficial for you as well as them.

This is the best advice you'll get on this subject in terms of how to conduct yourself and really nail the job down, so many people enter into these sorts of set ups like it's the fuckin' gestapo or something but like, selling yourself to people and fawning are like...two different things.

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 2

Had an interview regarding that possible promotion yesterday afternoon. Was kind of weird as it was a video interview with a guy in the US office.

Don't know how I did but as I left at the end of the day my manager gave me a thumbs up which is a good sign I guess :lol:

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

Had an interview regarding that possible promotion yesterday afternoon. Was kind of weird as it was a video interview with a guy in the US office.

Don't know how I did but as I left at the end of the day my manager gave me a thumbs up which is a good sign I guess :lol:

Oh nice one skipper! So you off stateside if you make it then or...?

I wish! Nah, the manager of that particular department is located in our US office but I would still be based out of the UK office.

Guest Len B'stard

I wish! Nah, the manager of that particular department is located in our US office but I would still be based out of the UK office.

So what you gonna be then? i mean like...from where to where are you going in terms of moving up in position, gonna be the governor of something or...? I can't imagine you giving someone a bollocking, you're too nice :lol: Don't take that wrong by the way, I meant it in a good way!

Edited by sugaraylen

So what you gonna be then? i mean like...from where to where are you going in terms of moving up in position, gonna be the governor of something or...? I can't imagine you giving someone a bollocking, you're too nice :lol: Don't take that wrong by the way, I meant it in a good way!

Without going into too much detail I would be moving from the bottom of the totem pole to a role that is far more important and significant.

• Like 1

I think it is true...and its the same for men too, like John Lennon said you have to be a bastard to really make it and we (The Beatles) were the biggest bastards goin'.

I was only speaking of women. People don't fear ruthless women nor do they want to be on their team. They just want to take them down. Those women may get to a certain level faster than others, but they never stay there.

Not really.

At the moment I am working for the company as a contractor so I don't get paid holiday, a lunch hour or sick leave and stuff like that. Now I will be a full time member of the company, will get a bit of a pay rise, paid holiday and a paid lunch hour :awesomeface:.

Edited by Tater Totts

Guest Len B'stard

Y'know, i always took that song as a covert admission that Jimbo was crap in bed.

Edited by sugaraylen

Are there any particular reasons why you wouldn't want to take it mate?

Might get a better deal by holding out? Last job offer I got I held out until they bumped up the salary by a couple of grand and threw in medical. Sometimes it's worth it to hold out a little. :shrugs:

Are there any particular reasons why you wouldn't want to take it mate?

Might get a better deal by holding out? Last job offer I got I held out until they bumped up the salary by a couple of grand and threw in medical. Sometimes it's worth it to hold out a little. :shrugs:

Doubt it at our stage mate :lol:

Edited by The Sandman

ARQ, I think you have the right idea. Correct me if I'm wrong about what you are thinking... but it's best to go for the job you actually want. If you hold out for the best job for you and don't take the lesser one, that's the job that will take you places, and where you want to be. If you take the lesser job, the 'no where' job, just to 'get by' that's the job you will be stuck in. If you take a job just so you can have a job, and not a career, you will be unhappy. You've put too much into this. Graduating vet school takes, time, effort, dedication and above average intelligence. Don't sell yourself short and take whatever comes along. You may have to struggle financially, but do it. You've come this far. Don't give up now. Keep going and don't settle for just any job. The right job is out there for you. Fight for it. Make it happen.

Edit: And somehow, find your way to Texas. This place is booming with jobs. I lost mine last May. My fault, I never went to work because I hated it. I didn't look for a job again. My husband didn't care. Nine months later, someone called me and asked if they could send my resume to another company. I said yes. They interviewed me and then hired me the next week. I'm not a vet, but everyone has a pet in Texas and there are thousands upon thousands of people that aren't in the cities that have ranches full of cattle that need vets. Get to Texas and you will find a job! The economy, certain areas of Texas is good. Not all...But Dallas, Fort Worth, North Houston, Austin - these are good areas. You have to research the areas. The Woodlands. The Woodlands is growing incredibly fast. The Oil Industry is growing. Lots of pets here! :)

Sorry for all the edits

I'm actually aiming for Cali, but thanks for the kind words and advice! You've got it right, and particularly as a vet, the first job really can make or break you.

So...anyone done a phone interview before? Any tips? :unsure:

I do a lot of phone interviews to save time on the people I want to bring in to interview. You have the benefit of having your internet available to keep company info up, making notes on questions and other things you would like to bring up. The questions are usually to test your knowledge as opposed to whether you would be a good fit for the organization. That would be the in person interview.

I think it's as hard to recruit good people as it is to look for a good job. I have to hire some managers and I have to go through hundreds of resumes and dozens of interviews for each vacancy. Exhausting.

• Like 1