The job hunting thread

GivenToFly

I was just looking for work on an oil rig now that I'm working construction too...

http://www.inputyouth.co.uk/jobguides/job-oildrillingroustabout.html

I found this, and was like 'yes' 'yes' 'yes' to everything, thinking 'wow, cool & why not, could be fun', I even started to get into the whole idea of working on an oil rig and taking my favourite guitar plus strings and tuner and battery and maybe even a nice amp/setup... and even writing songs like

'I'm on

a fucking rig

and I miss

my weed!'

just to keep me occupied on my 12 hours down time...

Thought way cool job/location/working vacation where they train you too etc... and me, being from "endz" but working on oil rig (probably in the North Sea up near Scotland somewhere)? - then I read 'Must be able to work at heights' - It's bad enough I've come across the odd ladder and been called to scaffolding with my current vertigo, but that requirement about being able to work at heights on the oil rig killed it for me; for now.

I do have my own goal anyways on my construction job when it comes to vertigo. I want to get used to ladders and scaffolding thus ridding me of this vertigo I have.

Vertigo, I had it, I thought I beat it many years ago, but after a bad break up this year, it has somehow risen? I can't explain it, may be some psychological thing/that or me in my prescription glasses when I first got those in June.. First day I got them, I saw a flight of stairs to go under and cross the road.. Wearing my glasses and BOOM! - I hadn't felt that sensation since I was a baby afraid of the stairs in my grandmother's house or the time I got stuck up the slide when I was a baby because back then; that sh*t was high :lol: - so yeah, walking with my glasses to take the stairs to cross the road and BOOM! out of no where those memories at this staircase I just use suddenly made me make a bee-line for the stepless ramp route instead; bad enough I was on route to an appointment to do some job search on the 11th floor which, isn't that much of an elevation in the grand scheme of things but with my new first ever pair of prescription glasses on me... I saw the hills and houses in the distance and even this next town out somewhere else in the UK and the sun coming through the clouds overlooking it all and... That freaked the Hell out of me, in my new glasses/was not a happy bunny, plus it was hot and I was going through a bad break up which made for next to no sleep. - Truthfully, seeing some other town in the far off distance with my glasses and the sky and everything being where I was just looking at it/I was fearing some giant finger or something coming down through the clouds/or something humongously big coming through the sky and the whole 'on the other side of that sky is space' - so I really didn't want to be there with new glasses...

Damn this vertigo, damn the recentness of this childhood phobia's resurrection, guess I could thank working in construction because if I can use it to beat vertigo again/once and for all ;) - then I could happily work on an oil rig for 3 weeks on 3 weeks off, even if I do it once and decide that was fun and just add it to the CV/resumé of life.

Even getting off the Underground and taking all those stairs up began to freak me out recently, I almost began to dread it, then last week was my first job in construction, ladder used a couple of times and boom/ I nipped that fear I had of the stairs at some of the London Underground stations in the bud as quick as it came... It was beginning to get to me recently, since they changed Tottenham Court Road and the new stairs... went like this; was fine/unexplained vertigo making me crouch cling and dread and close my eyes and stand/too afraid to make an exit and walk! - it was getting bad/one week up a ladder/my fear of Tottenham Court Road and other stations goes and am thankfully back to normal, running up and down them... I say stairs, they're really escalators.

That's what me and the little ladder experience I've had has done for me so far. - which is pretty damn cool. :)

Edited by Snake-Pit
  • Like 1

So I didn't get the job I interviewed for last Wednesday, and I've not got an interview for an admin job I applied for. However, I've been invited interview for a design job on the 20th.

The job is one I'm actually interested in; an in-house design job, and I'll be the only designer regionally, so I'll have greater control, a step up from my current role where I have a line manager. Fortunately I have plenty of time to prepare my portfolio. :)

Work's been awesome this week. Been on the piss for free with our new CEO and his cronies from the U.S. the last two nights. It's great when your bosses get arseholed and don't make it into meetings until midday. :lol:

Work's been awesome this week. Been on the piss for free with our new CEO and his cronies from the U.S. the last two nights. It's great when your bosses get arseholed and don't make it into meetings until midday. :lol:

When I was cahoots with the PA to the CEO of Mastercard, she said he was American and a big part of her job babysitting the CEOs was arranging travel and visa requirements for business trips; with frequent trips to New York on a flight I hear about from LCY that has you fly from London City Airport, stopover in Shannon in Ireland to pass US Customs, fly to New York, walk in as a domestic passenger having already cleared US Customs in Ireland and it's only Business Class.. - I thought it arrived at 08:15, but looking on

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#search;f=LCY;t=JFK;d=2015-07-26;r=2015-07-30;sel=LCYSNN0BA3-SNNJFK0BA3;sc=b;q=lcy+jfk+tickets

it says 20:15.. - Which I think defeats the object if banks and markets open at 09:00... :shrugs: I hope the website it wrong about that. :lol:

She knew about that flight and I think even booked it for UK Mastercard's CEOs to New York where she said 'The American one was fine, she never had to get him any visas when the CEOs went to America. - Russia.., Is long she said, a trip to Russia saw her having to do the paperwork for them way way ahead and also they went to China and she said she was at the airport using taxis corporate card and debating whether or not to stay and when her contract was up she said she was going to ask for a car if she still wanted the job, she was a temp..

Edited by Snake-Pit

I shoulda been a chemical engineer :(

I'm looking at a possible week in Washington for a tech exchange meeting later in the year. Fucking hope so anyway cuz Axlisold and I have unfinished business. :lol:

I'm looking at a possible week in Washington for a tech exchange meeting later in the year. Fucking hope so anyway cuz Axlisold and I have unfinished business. :lol:

Really? Because it was pretty definitive to me who won. Then...things get a bit hazy.

• Like 1

I've been researching "cultural fit", as it has been a reason I've been given for not getting a job in the past. Even after my research, it's hardly fucking helpful. How is a candidate supposed to guess what the company culture is like before going to an interview?

After 11 interviews over 2 years, that's the only useful feedback anyone's ever given me.

It's funny that I tend to be nice and pleasant, but there were days when I'd take my political design work into an interview and they'd love me. I avoid that now to aim for a better "cultural fit" and it never works out.

Want 3rd job, want to buy van, van comes with 2 jobs, need 3rd job to pay for auto insurance, or take out a 10 year loan on a 2008 vehicle.

Don't take out a ten year loan on a 2008 vehicle.

Nah. Sounds pretty boring.

Unless he's manufacturing LSD behind closed doors.

• Like 1

Want 3rd job, want to buy van, van comes with 2 jobs, need 3rd job to pay for auto insurance, or take out a 10 year loan on a 2008 vehicle.

Not as boring as working in a petrol station or an Estate Agent.

eh... i can't say for sure. what is swap, Len? :lol:

You have my job and i'll have yours, you'll be an estate agent is a provincial shithole just outside London renting properties, carrying out inspections, negotiating sales and rent with landlords and tenants, dealing with the local council, property disputes, carrying out inspections etc. Go on, swap with me, I'll be your best mate forever and ever and ever, i'll give you a bunch of flowers, I'll give you APPLESSS...peaches, bananas and pears! :lol:

eh... i can't say for sure. what is swap, Len? :lol:

You have my job and i'll have yours, you'll be an estate agent is a provincial shithole just outside London renting properties, carrying out inspections, negotiating sales and rent with landlords and tenants, dealing with the local council, property disputes, carrying out inspections etc. Go on, swap with me, I'll be your best mate forever and ever and ever, i'll give you a bunch of flowers, I'll give you APPLESSS...peaches, bananas and pears! :lol:

throw in some glass beads and i'm in :lol:

i got a new job. in 2 weeks, im a scriptwriter for TV. and the best part is that i don't have to be in the office. at least not every day :lol:

You'll be working for RT?

are you suggesting RT news are staged wtf :wow:

Not as boring as working in a petrol station or an Estate Agent.

It ain't bad.

I work by myself. Can't complain, but with that said I am keeping my options open.