why didn't slash ever stand up to axl

I think deep down inside slash never thought axl would really ever go through with carrying on the gnr name without him.

Pride and ego ripped that band apart more than anything. Slash never stuck me as the confrontational type from what I could see from watching through a TV.

• Like 1

I'd presume because whenever someone did something he didn't like in the crowd he stopped the show or stormed off, they were too loaded on things to assess the complexities of the situation and psychology, Axl wouldn't ditch the band if someone argued with him but you needed to be ready to dig your own trenches and go round in circles before he'd see your point of view. He was a very fragile and reactionary dude but he could be reasoned with if you had deep and passionate reasons behind your confrontation, those guys were too fucked up to do psychological battle with Axl at that time. No Stephanie Seymour ballads, shut up and sing what you're told, get on stage on time or we'll get more wasted, these things aren't exactly poetic or impassioned and thru a wounded Axl Rose's eyes, an ultimatum.

• Like 2

Yeah I agree with the above premise. I know some people think he should have fought Axl over the name signing thing, but at what cost? So they could have ended the band at the most lucrative time in their career?

Because the original partnership remained intact at the time they signed (since Axl didn't dissolve it until years later), they probably thought Axl wanted to just feel secure that they couldn't just kick him him out behind his back whenever they wanted. I also don't think they predicted it would get as bad as it did later on, and that Axl would have even bothered continuing GNR solo without them.

Really we have no idea what went on behind the scenes. Which is strange because it is one of the biggest band brake ups of all time. Yea we get a statement here and there but it is usually one that could be taken out of context and more read into it than what it really was, Slash has been good at doing this. I know Duff wasn't there for all the Axl and Slash conversations or does he even remember them being so fucked up, but if he did he could write a good factual and unbiased account of the going on behind the scenes.

I blame them both of them. They both had/have huge egos and both of them had a huge fan following just because of who they were in the band and outside of it.

Most of the time when I band has to huge egos in it things just don't get worked out.

As far as Axl getting the rights to the name it has been said before that management and the label pushed for it mainly because he was the most stable at the time as far a drug and alcohol abuse, yes Axl was a loose cannon but he was clean. I am sure Axl wanted it once the proposed it to him.

About a year after AFD was released Axl was fairly clean and it pissed him off that the others didn't do the same.

Like I said I am not on one side of the fence or the other, they both fucked it up and anything said or written in book or interview can be taken with a grain of salt. Until a more neutral person comes forward with information I don't believe much of what I have a read regarding the break up. Yes there is most likely SOME truth to the statements but it is a long way from being anything earth shattering.

Edited by bigcountry
  • Like 1

I would say leaving to form a "side project" and then recording what was supposed to be the next GnR record without Axl (i.e. the first Snakepit album) was Slash's way of saying "fuck you" to Axl and standing up to him. And then refusing to be an "employee" of GnR and walking out on Axl...isn't that standing up to him?

• Like 1

I would say leaving to form a "side project" and then recording what was supposed to be the next GnR record without Axl (i.e. the first Snakepit album) was Slash's way of saying "fuck you" to Axl and standing up to him. And then refusing to be an "employee" of GnR and walking out on Axl...isn't that standing up to him?

Depends on people's definition of standing up to him. Some people may see this as running away and quitting and starting over and avoiding the guy. Whatever approaches that gets me more music from Slash, as long as its legal, I'm all for it.

Edited by Anguyen92
  • Like 1

Because he's a self-centered motherfucker just like Axl but in a different way that it makes him look like a saint..... Stand up to Axl for what? for not letting him be a drunk bastard anymore?

Slash wanted to shine by himself, obviously, and didn't care about GN'R anymore.....

Depends on people's definition of standing up to him. Some people may see this as running away and quitting and starting over and avoiding the guy. Whatever approaches that gets me more music from Slash, as long as its legal, I'm all for it.

Agreed...Slash walking away has actually worked out for the best for Slash fans.

Axl was a lot older and can manipulate others with his alpha male persona. Slash is quiet natured. I cant imagine Slash getting into fist fights. I can imagine Axl turning most arguments into fist fights.

I can imagine Axl challenging someone to a fist fight, but then not showing up...like the deal with Vince Neil.

Edited by foghat43
  • Like 1

seriously...why not

i can't think of one time when he did

yes axl will freak out but who cares stand up to him and the band doesn't break up

it just seems that the entire origin of the problem stems from slashs and duff's for that matter as well to completly shy away and pussy out of confrontations

Old GNR became the biggest band in the world, and they died with that title. Nobody knocked them off the top, they did it themselves.

seriously...why not

i can't think of one time when he did

yes axl will freak out but who cares stand up to him and the band doesn't break up

it just seems that the entire origin of the problem stems from slashs and duff's for that matter as well to completly shy away and pussy out of confrontations

When he did axl jumped out of a car going 40mph

Because he is a wuss. I mean Axl was one man and he and Duff and even Izzy could have approached Axl calmly to talk about whatever. Slash always says he is proud have been a part of GNR, so maybe he just didn't give a shit enough to say anything to Axl. Or he felt it was best not to challenge him.

I've heard that Izzy was the only band member Axl would listen to, so why didn't Slash say something to him when Izzy talked to Axl?

I honestly think Slash just didn't want to rock the boat, plus being high or drunk couldn't have helped either.

Axl was and still is a force to be reckoned with.

• Like 1

Matt stood up to him one time and then got fired.

Izzy got fed up with it and just left.

I think Slash and Duff knew they had magic in a bottle with GnR and that's why they put up with Axl's antics for so long. If Axl had been Phil Lewis I bet they would have bailed years before they actually did. But if your singer is one of the best - if not the best- singer of your era/genre, you are willing to put up with a lot of crap. Why do hot girls that have terrible personalities still always have tons of men chasing them?

• Like 1

Everyone has problems. We're all human and that means you screw up especially when you're younger and have people telling you how awesome you are and not really helping you out.

I understand Axl wanting things his way and getting out of control. Like I said when you're younger it's all about you and how you want things and you don't care what other people think.

Plus all the pressure to come up with more albums to top AFD? I mean how the hell could you be calm and then touring too? It's no wonder these guys all drank and did drugs. it was a crazy world back then for GNR.

I think since they are all older now they can look at that time and say okay, shit happened but we did killer songs and killer performances even when they were messed up. I'm just glad they all lived through it.

It's easy to say things when you're not intimately involved. It's hard when you're in one of the greatest bands of all time and have all these people wanting a piece of you and not really knowing who to trust? Fame killed GNR and too much of everything.

Most of us can't even imagine what their lives were like back then. I doubt any of them could have foreseen the fame they had back then.

• Like 1

Putting things into prespective: Why didn't he stand up to Axl? Because it was easier to let things flow and play every week to 20 thousand people and drink alcohol until you drop than to have to deal with a guy that had a phsychiatrist on tour with him. And after this answer, put yourself in Axl's shoes, having to deal with drunk, coke addicts who don't know nothing more other than to play instruments. Axl had to take controll over the financial part of the band. I still think it was the right moove for the relatively clean guy in the band to control those things. But then again...

Speculation is all we can do but honestly based on what we know I can't imagine Axl would be a super level headed person when in the midst of a conflict, especially if it is his actions that are being questioned.

So mix Axl's erratic nature with a person like Slash who seems to be like a person who would rather not be in a face to face conflict with someone you have a dysfunctional relationship where one person does weird shit and the other person enables him by never confronting said shit. Slash should have been a little more confronting, I get the impression that especially around the early to mid 1990's he was a little passive aggressive which probably didn't help at all....

Mix that with drugs and alcohol, lawyers and businessmen trying to use these guys for their own bank accounts, other various band member conflicts, and tons of money being added it all, it is no wonder why the band broke up!

Because then he would have stolen like 25 years of Axl's life. Can we at least get a coherent narrative?

A. Slash calls Axl idiot, gives him writer's block, is cancer -------------> ruins everything

B. Slash never stands up to Axl ----------------> ruins everything

huh?