Last full album you listened to?

Broskirose

On 10/8/2016 at 3:34 PM, classicrawker said:

Played Sgt. Peppers for them the other night and they recognized two songs as being from from Circe de  Soleil.....I have a lot of work to do...

at least Circe de Soleil is a step up from kids hearing classic songs on TV commercials. i just heard Should I Stay or Should I Go by the Clash on a Choice Hotels TV spot...smh

back on topic Elephant-The White Stripes

14 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

James_Brown-Live_at_the_Apollo_%28album_

Literally one of the greatest albums of all time.  Easily the best live album ever or at least in the top three.  And yknow what, theres not a lot between this one and other two volumes, the audience are fucking mental on these albums.  He had to fight to get it released too, how crazy is that?  I love those fuckin intros...and now ladies and gentleman it is STAR TIME :D

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Literally one of the greatest albums of all time.  Easily the best live album ever or at least in the top three.  And yknow what, theres not a lot between this one and other two volumes, the audience are fucking mental on these albums.  He had to fight to get it released too, how crazy is that?  I love those fuckin intros...and now ladies and gentleman it is STAR TIME :D

It is the authentic sound of the Chitlin' Circuit, recorded at Harlem's Apollo no less which is still there today,

320px-Apollo_Theater%2C_Harlem_%282009%2

17 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Some absolute fucking class performed there over the years, tough crowd as well i hear.

I used to like your big 1970's white rock live albums, Live At Leeds, Made in Japan and Live and Dangerous, but now I find them a bit shite and I'm more drawn to these Chitlin' live albums. I've always loved BB King's Live At the Regal, but you can certainly add James Brown's Apollo on the list of greatest live albums of all time - Curtis/Live! also.

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I used to like your big 1970's white rock live albums, Live At Leeds, Made in Japan and Live and Dangerous, but now I find them a bit shite and I'm more drawn to these Chitlin' live albums. I've always loved BB King's Live At the Regal, but you can certainly add James Brown's Apollo on the list of greatest live albums of all time - Curtis/Live! also.

Live at Leeds was 69 werent it?  Might be wrong.  But yeah, those albums are better not only because of better artists but because they were just so well drilled from constant fucking touring.  Live at the Regal is quite fantastic too.

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Live at Leeds was 69 werent it?  Might be wrong.  But yeah, those albums are better not only because of better artists but because they were just so well drilled from constant fucking touring.  Live at the Regal is quite fantastic too.

1970, Tommy tour. They actually played the whole of Tommy, and the modern remastered version has the entire thing.

Incidentally Curtis/Live! was recorded at The Bitter End, Greenwich Village,

800px-Beast_0114.jpg

Neil Young played a seminal and widely bootlegged solo acoustic gig there 1974. It seems to have doubled up as a Beatnik/hippy venue and Chitlin' venue, hosting a mix of black and white acts. The Regal and Apollo were more outright Chitlin' venues. The Village is of course where Jimi was discovered, here no less,

250px-Cafe_Wha%3F_Entrance_2005-04-04.jp

You can briefly glimpse this venue in Shaft.

11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Live At the Apollo is unbelievable. I do quite like early pre-Funk James Brown.

The speed that they play at...and the accuracy and how tight everything is.  When i first heard it some of the songs i could barely recognise, like Think.

Funnily enough Bobby Bird called it the worst album in that musically there's lot of mistakes in it, I'm buggered if i can clock em.

Vol III is the best according to many afficianados.  The scope of the influence of this album also is immeasurable, everyone from The Stones, The Who, MC5, The Beatles all loved this album, it was based on this that you got the James Brown covers on My Generation.

Edited by Len Cnut

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

The speed that they play at...and the accuracy and how tight everything is.  When i first heard it some of the songs i could barely recognise, like Think.

Funnily enough Bobby Bird called it the worst album in that musically there's lot of mistakes in it, I'm buggered if i can clock em.

Vol III is the best according to many afficianados.  The scope of the influence of this album also is immeasurable, everyone from The Stones, The Who, MC5, The Beatles all loved this album, it was based on this that you got the James Brown covers on My Generation.

''Love Someone'' is the centrepiece: the crowd going crazy; that hypnotic jazz riff.

Revolution of the Mind: Live at the Apollo, Volume III ? I have it up next so watch this space. Sex Machine is another live masterpiece however the first half was faux live; it captures the original JBs, including Bootsy and Catfish, which were only together for eleven months before walking en masse after one of Brown's infamous tirades.

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

''Love Someone'' is the centrepiece: the crowd going crazy; that hypnotic jazz riff.

Revolution of the Mind: Live at the Apollo, Volume III ? I have it up next so watch this space. Sex Machine is another live masterpiece however the first half was faux live; it captures the original JBs, including Bootsy and Catfish, which were only together for eleven months before walking en masse after one of Brown's infamous tirades.

Did you see the documentary yet?