Last full album you listened to?

Broskirose

Oh very much so, very very much so...but at the same time i absolutely loved Nirvana so to me it's fantastic, listening to that mad boy banging out these revolving chord sequences with elongated mumbles for lyrics, it's just him at home pissing about with a tape recorder and bunging little song ideas down, even in their rudimentary forms you get the catchiness of them, bless him that boy could write good pop songs in his sleep i reckon.

Just got a 6CD bootleg box set of the Jimi Hendrix complete 4 show Band of Gypsys Fillmore East concerts played on New Year Eve/ New Year day 1969/70. Listened to the January 1, 1970 early show and love the alternate versions of songs that are different takes from the official releases.

I will have to admit I think we got the best versions of the songs on the original 1970 Band of Gypsys live vinyl album release and these shows could be ragged at times but Jimi's brilliance still shines through..

If I could take a time machine and go back to see any concerts these 4 shows would be a the top of my list.

• Like 2

Just got a 6CD bootleg box set of the Jimi Hendrix complete 4 show Band of Gypsys Fillmore East concerts played on New Year Eve/ New Year day 1969/70. Listened to the January 1, 1970 early show and love the alternate versions of songs that are different takes from the official releases.

I will have to admit I think we got the best versions of the songs on the original 1970 Band of Gypsys live vinyl album release and these shows could be ragged at times but Jimi's brilliance still shines through..

If I could take a time machine and go back to see any concerts these 4 shows would be a the top of my list.

Box of Gypsys?

The Band of Gypsys is tiny though and Jimi deliberately held back new Gypsy era compositions like 'Stepping Stone', 'Ezy Rider' and 'Burning Desire' for his fourth studio album - you get excellent versions of those three alongside 'Izabella' which had made its debut at Woodstock with the Gypsy Sun and Rainbows, but here is far more realised. Listen to the earliest version of 'Stone Free' on, I think it is the first set (it is a different later version that is included on the Fillmore 2cd official release). Jimi opts out and Buddy Miles goes into a lengthy drum solo, and the way Jimi re-enters never fails to put a big grin on my face. It is one of the best improvisational things I've ever heard in music. I love the Gypsy version of 'Hear My Train' - I think it was only played on the first night. They do an excellent 'Fire' also, with Billy Cox laying down a fat RnB groove.

The first set is entirely new material! Bold move and what an appreciative audience.

Box of Gypsys?

The Band of Gypsys is tiny though and Jimi deliberately held back new Gypsy era compositions like 'Stepping Stone', 'Ezy Rider' and 'Burning Desire' for his fourth studio album - you get excellent versions of those three alongside 'Izabella' which had made its debut at Woodstock with the Gypsy Sun and Rainbows, but here is far more realised. Listen to the earliest version of 'Stone Free' on, I think it is the first set (it is a different later version that is included on the Fillmore 2cd official release). Jimi opts out and Buddy Miles goes into a lengthy drum solo, and the way Jimi re-enters never fails to put a big grin on my face. It is one of the best improvisational things I've ever heard in music. I love the Gypsy version of 'Hear My Train' - I think it was only played on the first night. They do an excellent 'Fire' also, with Billy Cox laying down a fat RnB groove.

The first set is entirely new material! Bold move and what an appreciative audience.

probably a copy of Box of Gypsys but I scored the box set "Jimi Hendrix and the Band of Gypsys 2 Nights at the Fillmore East" off of ebay for short money, about $60. Discogs also has it for around that with shipping

http://www.amazon.com/NIGHTS-THE-FILLMORE-EAST-6CD/dp/B000SLP17I

Supposedly put out by the Mike Jeffreys Estate but sounds like BS to me.

Nice website with a summary of all the "Estates" different labels releases

http://hendrix.guide.pagesperso-orange.fr/radioactive.htm

In any case it is a good mix of mostly SB with Audience recordings to fill in any gaps......

Dug out my Band of Gypsys DVD last night and might watch the amazing footage from the New Years Eve show. Just incredible that video even exists.

Here is a taste for those unfamiliar with what I am talking about

Here is the full documentary

https://vimeo.com/49726835

Edited by classicrawker

Very similar release. I think the Box of Gypsys is the latest version because they found a new tape with a couple of songs extra on the second disc. They tell you to just replace your 2nd and 3rd disc with the new version as everything else is the same.

Jimi played Machine Gun in all four sets and all four are magnificent and take you into another direction. I think the official one was the third one and people say that was the best, but I'm not so certain.

Very similar release. I think the Box of Gypsys is the latest version because they found a new tape with a couple of songs extra on the second disc. They tell you to just replace your 2nd and 3rd disc with the new version as everything else is the same.

Jimi played Machine Gun in all four sets and all four are magnificent and take you into another direction. I think the official one was the third one and people say that was the best, but I'm not so certain.

The version I bought is the complete 4 shows so maybe a copy of Box of Gypsys

The version of Machine Gun on the original official release is indeed from the third show which was the first show on New Years day 1970.

Here is an amazing streaming website with just tons of live Hendrix, and Stones, shows free for streaming

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/alpha/j.html

Edited by classicrawker

Kurt Cobains Home Recordings, Montage of Heck whatever it's called

Nice to hear from Kurt again after all these years.

That's probably one of the worst things to come out in 2015. Love the documentary, but the cd is absolutely scraping the bottom of the barrel so Courtney can have some drug money. Anything decent was already put on With The Lights Out anyway. These things didn't even make the cut back then. I illegally downloaded it, listened to it and decided it was a total waste of roughly 80 megabytes of hard drive space.

On-topic, I spent a lot of time driving today. So I listened to:

- Eric Clapton - Slowhand At 70

- Roger Waters - The Wall

- Queen - A Night At The Odeon

- Maria Mena - Growing Pains
  • Like 1

Kurt Cobains Home Recordings, Montage of Heck whatever it's called

Nice to hear from Kurt again after all these years.

That's probably one of the worst things to come out in 2015. Love the documentary, but the cd is absolutely scraping the bottom of the barrel so Courtney can have some drug money. Anything decent was already put on With The Lights Out anyway. These things didn't even make the cut back then. I illegally downloaded it, listened to it and decided it was a total waste of roughly 80 megabytes of hard drive space.

On-topic, I spent a lot of time driving today. So I listened to:

- Eric Clapton - Slowhand At 70

- Roger Waters - The Wall

- Queen - A Night At The Odeon

- Maria Mena - Growing Pains

My liking of it is probably testament to my extremely high regard for Kurt Cobain than anything else, although I am loathe to seperate the man from the band but like...the heart of the songs is all his.

CurtisMayfieldSuperfly.jpg

It is this nice little book with a second disc with extra long versions etc. I've never listened to the second disc yet.

PS

What a bloody album. Classy as anything, isn't it? Gorgeous jazzy orchestration. Superb vocals. Lyrical content which was revolutionary. Superb instrumentation. Proper music.

Edited by DieselDaisy

CurtisMayfieldSuperfly.jpg

It is this nice little book with a second disc with extra long versions etc. I've never listened to the second disc yet.

PS

What a bloody album. Classy as anything, isn't it? Gorgeous jazzy orchestration. Superb vocals. Lyrical content which was revolutionary. Superb instrumentation. Proper music.

If you go through this thread there are like 500 posts where I'm listening to this, it is probably the greatest film soundtrack ever, if you listen to Snoop Doggy Doggs first album you most of this album on it by way of samples of reinaction of scenes. SUCH a brilliant album, it really is, it is a must in every car I've ever owned, a copy of this, i cant tell you how fucking fantastic it is...and how underrated Mayfield is overall as a guitarist, probably the least recognised and credited great of the guitar out there. Love love love love LOVE this album. There is not a track on it that is not 10 out of 10.

• Like 2