Last full album you listened to?

Broskirose

23 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm still listening to the Mayfield albums listed above. I'd imagine they will keep me entertained for duration - and, I haven't even listened to the live album yet!

I never really got on with live albums yknow.

Edited by Len Cnut

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Per se or just Curtis's (Curtis/Live is considered a classic of the genre)?

No man, Curtis is an exception.  There are many many good live albums i just meant generally, like yknow how people have a nutty encyclopedic knowledge of live bootlegs and that.  Curtis is one of those guys so good that hes as brilliant live as he is in the studio.  Its really cool finding someone who likes Curtis Mayfield, especially on a GnR forum.  I first got into him as a kid, like really little, i remember reading his name in a guitar book in the library mentioning Jimi Hendrixes influences and i just never really much heard of him anywhere else, me and my mate Jim used to nick tapes out of the market and i got three Curtis Mayfield ones, i was about 13 and i just loved him ever since and like, its amazing how few fans of his you find in England.  I just figured he was a black American thing.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

No man, Curtis is an exception.  There are many many good live albums i just meant generally, like yknow how people have a nutty encyclopedic knowledge of live bootlegs and that.  Curtis is one of those guys so good that hes as brilliant live as he is in the studio.  Its really cool finding someone who likes Curtis Mayfield, especially on a GnR forum.  I first got into him as a kid, like really little, i remember reading his name in a guitar book in the library mentioning Jimi Hendrixes influences and i just never really much heard of him anywhere else, me and my mate Jim used to nick tapes out of the market and i got three Curtis Mayfield ones, i was about 13 and i just loved him ever since and like, its amazing how few fans of his you find in England.  I just figured he was a black American thing.

To be honest there is a huge white bias in rock journalism, when for example you read these 'top 100 albums'. Beatles, Dylan, Pet Sounds - same cracker albums haha.

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Per se or just Curtis's (Curtis/Live is considered a classic of the genre)?

As a side note, if you can tolerate 2 mins of hip hop, this is the intro to Snoop Doggy Doggs debut album, a modern classic and one of the most biggest selling hip hop albums of all time, does it sound familiar at all? :lol:

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Roots - Curtis Mayfield

My favourite song is ''Beautiful Brother of Mine''. I also love "We Got to Have Peace" - I love the bit,

And the people in the neighbourhood,
Who would if they only could,
Meet and shake the other's hand,
Work together for the good of the land.

But it is all incredible. ''Get Down'' is a funky James Brown-esque opener - he also had that side to him also.

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

My favourite song is ''Beautiful Brother of Mine''. I also love "We Got to Have Peace" - I love the bit,

But it is all incredible. ''Get Down'' is a funky James Brown-esque opener - he also had that side to him also.

The thing i love about Curtis is that its a really tight tapestry of all this different stuff, the drumming is like pure American soul and his guitar playing is like...an archetype all of its own, he almost invented a stereotype with it, its like...the definition of cool.  Underground is a fuckin' brilliant track too.

23 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

The thing i love about Curtis is that its a really tight tapestry of all this different stuff, the drumming is like pure American soul and his guitar playing is like...an archetype all of its own, he almost invented a stereotype with it, its like...the definition of cool.  Underground is a fuckin' brilliant track too.

Some of your favourite artists on this, covering Curtis,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Tribute_to_Curtis_Mayfield

Springsteen, racist Eric, Rod 'belly full of sperm' Stewart and woofta Elton. The creme de la creme is surely Phil Collins!! 

On 28/09/2016 at 8:58 PM, Len Cnut said:

Live he is different but in an even more brilliant way in some regards. In the studio you hear the Berry Gordy/Phil Spector thing, but live you hear something far more earthier - Hendrix's citing of him being an influence is at its most evident on the live record. This is truly a spectacular live record and something to listen to multiple times, very much the equal of Live at the Apollo.

Incidentally, the Jimi connection runs far: Eddie Kramer; mixed at Ladyland - understand this was about a year after Hendrix's death when the studio was in its infancy.

PS

A cover of The Carpenters, the archetypal white smoothy act haha.

Edited by DieselDaisy

23 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Live he is different but in an even more brilliant way in some regards. In the studio you hear the Berry Gordy/Phil Spector thing, but live you hear something far more earthier - Hendrix's citing of him being an influence is at its most evident on the live record. This is truly a spectacular live record and something to listen to multiple times, very much the equal of Live at the Apollo.

Incidentally, the Jimi connection runs far: Eddie Kramer; mixed at Ladyland - understand this was about a year after Hendrix's death when the studio was in its infancy.

PS

A cover of The Carpenters, the archetypal white smoothy act haha.

The demo version of him doing Little Child Runnin Wild called Ghetto Child is a brilliant example of that earthier thing you mentioned when his stuff is less subject to studio trickery.

Just now, Len Cnut said:

The demo version of him doing Little Child Runnin Wild called Ghetto Child is a brilliant example of that earthier thing you mentioned when his stuff is less subject to studio trickery.

Yes, that is on the double cd version of Superfly. I love the instrumental versions on that disc also; makes you feel like you're in a Blaxploitation film.