Philly 2012. What happened?

I feel like in 2012, the show at the Electric Factory was the last glimpse we've really gotten of Axl putting his everything into a show and just ripping it a new one. It was like 2010 Axl's energy was back for a night, and his vocals even snaked danced their way in at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrBndJEGev8

In my opinion it's definitely the best concert from 2011-2014. So my question is this. What do you think happened? Was it Axl trying to make up to Philly for the 2002 riot? Did someone piss him off right before the show? Trying to make up for the lackluster Chicago live stream where he was sick? Are there other shows I've not been aware of that he's gone in with this energy since?

• Like 3

Wow.... how amazing :(

I don't know what happened.... Don't wanna judge too much or give opinion on what i don't have proof.... but he's waaaaay different nowadays. Medication? Alcohol? Too much afterparties and whores?

dont know :'(

this show is fantastic. Full on murderous rasp from beggining to end. What was the gig that immediately followed this? If he had a bad performance after this, we might get an answer regarding why he does not repeat it.

I was there. Bumblefoot was barely on stage and in serious pain. Perhaps his suffering gave Axl pleasure and swagger.

McCoy you were at this show? Were you also at Roseland Ballroom?

Edited by Broskirose
  • Like 1

I was there. Bumblefoot was barely on stage and in serious pain. Perhaps his suffering gave Axl pleasure and swagger.

McCoy you were at this show? Were you also at Roseland Ballroom?

Yep. I was on the rail right in front of Ron. I wasn't at Roseland. I did Wilkes-Barre and Philly on that run.

I feel like a lot of the performances on the Up Close and Personal Tour were steller

I was at the Detroit show and it was an entirely different experience compared to the two arena shows I saw earlier. Axl was in a completely different and more energetic mood and I think that really contributed to his performances. Its a shame Chicago was the pro shot performance, as he was actually sick for that one. But yeah, his voice rocked on the UCAP tour.

(I also thought his voice was pretty good for a lot of 2011. It was high pitched, but powerful and controlled. The North American tour had a lot of really good vocal performances)

I feel like in 2012, the show at the Electric Factory was the last glimpse we've really gotten of Axl putting his everything into a show and just ripping it a new one. It was like 2010 Axl's energy was back for a night, and his vocals even snaked danced their way in at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrBndJEGev8

In my opinion it's definitely the best concert from 2011-2014. So my question is this. What do you think happened? Was it Axl trying to make up to Philly for the 2002 riot? Did someone piss him off right before the show? Trying to make up for the lackluster Chicago live stream where he was sick? Are there other shows I've not been aware of that he's gone in with this energy since?

when axl is 'on' - like in that street of dreams clip, looking like a total rock star as he emotes during the outro - he's still one of the best in the game.

• Like 2

Axl had some flashes of the 2010 form in some '12 shows, that's why I fucking wish he released a follow up in 2011 cause he still had the power and rasp to carry another album cycle. He is improving on this tour but doing the same thing he's done much better before is redundant as hell and his voice isn't going to preserve itself if it takes him several shows to strengthen and doesn't appear to look after it during downtime.

I echo the sentiments that the UCAP tour was great all around. The Ritz was the greatest show I've ever seen from any artist. And while Terminal 5 gig was the worst GN'R gig I've seen, Axl didn't sound bad by any means.

Still think the Atlantic City show at House of Blues was his best performance during UCAP. Surprised everyone else overlooks this show.

Atlantic City is a pretty strong show, but Philly I just feel is stronger and full of more energy.

No doubt about that....in the dark '11-'14 Axl voice era, imo nothing comes even close to the Philly '12 show.

Beat this!!

http://youtu.be/HUCrHW5PfuY

Edited by trqster

I echo the sentiments that the UCAP tour was great all around. The Ritz was the greatest show I've ever seen from any artist. And while Terminal 5 gig was the worst GN'R gig I've seen, Axl didn't sound bad by any means.

I gotta go with magisme on this, Axl really didn't sound great at the Terminal show. Philly though... That was awesome.