Philly 2012. What happened?

DJ didn't do anything wrong in that Estranged video either, I don't know why that has to be pointed out, it just pleases me when he doesn't act too irritating or devalue a performance. He's not a terrible player nor superb or supremely competent but he's better than we give him credit for. The cliche image and corny attitude and catalogue of screw ups go against him I guess. Usually the value of a performance relies on Axl's power in his voice, how annoying DJ is, whether Axl looks morbidly obese or bored, whether Ashba fucks something up, whether Axl is wearing a hat or glasses.

I was at that show...it was incredible. I remember posting on the forum (just as Live and Let Die had ended) to tell everyone how amazing Axl's voice was that night. It was a very pleasant surprise to say the least. As "Jungle" first came one...I saw a man possessed by Rock n' Roll - something truly out of this world.

Edited by IndiannaRose

I don't see why this is such a mystery. He was just trying to make up for '02. He even brought it up on stage.

It was a great 2011-2014 performance, probably the best. Doesn't come close to '06 or '10 though.

My thought too. And with Philly '02 being my first GNR concert, I was (and still am) really hoping for a more detailed explanation. Lawsuit is probably over, so I don't know why we can't hear anything else. The backlash to that was huge and it's pretty telling that that was at a sold-out arena in '02 and then this was at a smaller club/theatre that I don't think was at capacity.

Still think the Atlantic City show at House of Blues was his best performance during UCAP. Surprised everyone else overlooks this show.

Atlantic City is a pretty strong show, but Philly I just feel is stronger and full of more energy.

No doubt about that....in the dark '11-'14 Axl voice era, imo nothing comes even close to the Philly '12 show.

Beat this!!

http://youtu.be/HUCrHW5PfuY

I see your You're Crazy from Philly and raise you You're Crazy from Brooklyn Bowl:

• Like 1

Some of the 2013 shows had some great moments. Brooklyn Bowl, the San Antonio show was decent, etc. Overall, I felt 2013 was stronger than 2012.

It's one of the reasons I had so much hope for 2014. *sigh*

Midland in Kansas City was really quite strong. After pulling out those shows it just makes no sense why he reverts back after he gets some rest. Two steps forward, ten steps back.

Axl's voice never seemed to have a problem once he hit his stride in 2009/10, I don't recall him going into full on mickey mode for any of those shows, why he turned up as a strange ghost in Rio is anyone's guess. I don't understand, if it isn't throat issues, why he cannot get that consistency back.

Some of the 2013 shows had some great moments. Brooklyn Bowl, the San Antonio show was decent, etc. Overall, I felt 2013 was stronger than 2012.

Midland in Kansas City was really quite strong. After pulling out those shows it just makes no sense why he reverts back after he gets some rest. Two steps forward, ten steps back.

Night before Kansas he was in Lubbock and put more rasp into Paradise City than he has since Hellfest 12. It was great even though he used his clean voice on parts.

http://youtu.be/kdL-GrcpVu8

• Like 1

Night before Kansas he was in Lubbock and put more rasp into Paradise City than he has since Hellfest 12. It was great even though he used his clean voice on parts.

It makes absolutely no sense why he improves and then goes right back. Fucking hell, man. This mystery will haunt us all.

That rasp caught me off guard. PC has been a real joke since Rio '11, that one was good though.

That rasp caught me off guard. PC has been a real joke since Rio '11, that one was good though.

Still nothing really beats PC from Hellfest '12….

It doesn't seem like much of a struggle to use the rasp in that video.