If Axl were to release the album this nov out of nowhere, what would make it a success to you?

High sales

Commercial rock hit songs (1 or 2 ig)

Solid songs throughout (no hit and sales are only decent)

Proper release Axl makes appearances and another tour off album. (No huge commercial success or recognition IE: cd1 all over again but with Axl on board)

When pigs fly. Unfortunately, Axl lost all confidence in regards to releasing new music.

I think we get one more album of Axls music he worked on during the Chinese sessions.. I'm a believer he has so much shit from that period and just doesn't know what to use.. After one last album maybe Axl starts leaning towards a reunion with slash.. (Let's be real everyone from appetite is down for some gigs but one man)

Solid songs, every song except Scraped was a hit on CD to me. If Better, Street of Dreams, If The World, TWAT, Catcher, TIL, Sorry, Madagascar or IRS got videos and promotion that any other 'in' band got, whether their songs suck or are decent, those songs would've flew off the wall. They're top quality tracks.

• Like 3

Solid songs, every song except Scraped was a hit on CD to me. If Better, Street of Dreams, If The World, TWAT, Catcher, TIL, Sorry, Madagascar or IRS got videos and promotion that any other 'in' band got, whether their songs suck or are decent, those songs would've flew off the wall. They're top quality tracks.

I think TWAT would've been a great song for a high profile directed video, something rly out there and huge.. I can see Axl playing guitar doing catcher acoustic on mtv unplugged.. If only..

Edit : I'm thinking Michael C Hall starring in a video for twat that ends in the death of Lana del Ray $$$$$$

Edited by Estranged Coma

I would just be happy with a new release, 'Going Down' was a song we had no info on at all and I really like it - we're all aware of the same list of songs mentioned over the years (the General, Soul Monster, Atlas etc) but am willing to bet there are dozens more songs we aren't aware off that could form a solid album. Axl is unrealistic if he still expects sales of AFD/UYI level, over 3 million for ChiDem should be seen as a positive tbh, and if he achieves that again he really should be grateful at this stage. Just get some damn music out for your fans, forget about trying to be the biggest, baddest most dangerous band on the planet 'cauz that ship has sailed, just get music out for your remaining fans that actually give a damn.

• Like 2

I would just be happy with a new release, 'Going Down' was a song we had no info on at all and I really like it - we're all aware of the same list of songs mentioned over the years (the General, Soul Monster, Atlas etc) but am willing to bet there are dozens more songs we aren't aware off that could form a solid album. Axl is unrealistic if he still expects sales of AFD/UYI level, over 3 million for ChiDem should be seen as a positive tbh, and if he achieves that again he really should be grateful at this stage. Just get some damn music out for your fans, forget about trying to be the biggest, baddest most dangerous band on the planet 'cauz that ship has sailed, just get music out for your remaining fans that actually give a damn.

Yah I think expectations for any rock record should be crazy low (who the fuck rly buys them honestly :P) and a gnr album would sell really solid on name alone.

More on not buying albums : I'm trying to honestly think of people I know who buys CDs and I can't think of one. (Only a friend who buys every M&m and lil weezy records)

Edited by Estranged Coma

The next album will come out September 15th. It will be called World On Fire and it will have 17 songs on it.

Hmm sounds like an album that missed the boat and should have been Released coinciding with the last hunger games "catching fire " :D

Edited by Estranged Coma

If an album a) gets released and b) it doesn't have Frank, Ron and DJ layered on top of CD sessions material I will consider it a success.

Seems your bar is low, right where it should be :P

Since 09, It's started to sink into the ground.

I think we all have to face that sales don't mean as much as they once did. The musical landscape has changed since 1991. The definition of pop music and what makes it in the charts has changed. I think it's very unrealistic to expect a AFD- or UYI-scale success. It would be amazing, but I don't see it happening soon. I do think a success on the scale of say Brave New World (Maiden) would be amazing. And it would help a lot to have a hit single. I'm not talking 10 weeks at #1. But something with a video that gets tv- and airtime would help a lot. Yes, sales are always a part of it. But what kind sales figures you can realistically expect has changed a lot in the past 20 years.

I think the big word for GnR would be "redemption". Get out a great rock and roll record that gets respect and praise in the circles still interested in this type of music. Something that makes people think "Wow! These guys can still go and this record kicks ass". To me and a lot of people with me (especially outside this forum) GnR is a bit of a joke. They're a revolving door band that sounds mediocre, have one original member and their biggest claim to fame is their inability to release anything. And maybe worst of all, they have DJ. If they're able to prove that image wrong, that'd be the biggest success I can imagine.

Which would mean releasing (actually releasing, soon after announcing it) a kickass rock record (not a bloated production monstrosity) without all the fuss and drama (so fire Team Complaints) and with decent promotion (videos, singles, interview etc) to make it a success.

One very big step in that direction would be a reunion. It simply would make it all SO much easier commercially and probably also musically on every front. The fake drama crap is over, the real GnR is back and they have a great balls to the wall rock record. It would shed the "joke" image. That would sell, and if the record is good it will sell very well. But I don't see that happening.

Edited by username

just something high quality like CD or Illusions with 4 or 5 songs that don't get booed off stage live. You like CD, Better, SOD, TIL, Catcher type of basket of goodies. I don't know what to say about sales or videos or forum rapport. I'd just take the record.

I feel like this band has a bit better relationship with the media than the circus that surrounded CD. So that might smooth things along with the label or whoever.