Dave Kushner talks Izzy Stradlin almost replacing him in Velvet Revolver, failed 2012 Scott Weiland reunion & more

STPFAN

Well the thread title is a little misleading, plus the interview has no real information in it. It's just a typical interview...maybe someone who likes Dave Kushner will enjoy reading it.

Complaints, complaints, complaints. :awesomeface:

• Like 1

I thought it was a good interview. There really isn't much insider info on VR and interviews like this are rare. I particularly like Dave's perspective because he was almost a fly on the wall from the perspective of being a relatively normal dude in a band with four rock stars.

Good to hear from this guy. Seems like a really cool dude. I also liked the Izzy situation that Duff described to Dave. ie: Don't worry, Izzy is gonna come by for a few weeks, and then disappear. And Duff was right.

But I don't blame Dave for being a little worried he would lose his job.

• 1 year later...

I must have missed reading this interview but it's worth revisiting with all the GNR rumors going on, and why Izzy probably wouldn't be a part of a bigger reunion tour. I could see Kushner being part of that "hybrid" lineup if for some reason Izzy and Richard weren't.

Dave was great for VR because he's creative with the guitar. He isn't just shredding diarrhea a million miles an hour and then hustling off to Eastern European village pubs to play SCOM and Sweet Home Alabama to a crowd of 10 people in exchange for a plate of hot cabbage and a cot in the kitchen for the night.

• Like 1

i always thought that Dave was in every session with Izzy.

I dont remember anyone in VR ever mentioning that the four guys actually wrote and recorded by themselves, without Dave.

thats very interesting information and I REALLY hope these songs will become available some day because thats basically GNR

:headbang:

When you joined how long did it take to get the chemistry right, especially with Slash? I know you played with Dave Navarro though, so you probably had experience with lead players like that. And what was it like playing with Izzy Stradlin, when he briefly played with you guys?

I think that I was nervous going into it because I knew the potential, even though there was no singer yet, I knew the potential of playing with Duff, Slash, and Matt from Guns N’ Roses. The thing that made it easier for me is I have known Slash since I was 14, when we went to junior high and high school together, and I saw him during the whole growth of Guns N’ Roses, I was in Wasted Youth at the time. I guess it was just more comfortable for me, and I had been playing with Duff in a side project for like 6 months, so I was comfortable playing with him.

To be honest with you, Duff and Slash played really loud, and they were just used to that, so for me there was a wall of bass between me and Slash. So a lot of times I couldn’t hear a lot of what he was doing, so I just came in and I brought my pedal board and I didn’t try to play like Izzy or play like what I thought he would want. I just did what I did and tried to use pedals and stuff like that for different voicings instead of trying to stay in this blues based Izzy Stradlin kind of realm. That’s where that sound came from. As far as the Izzy thing, when Izzy came around, it’s funny, have you seen that Foo Fighters movie?

Yeah, I’ve seen it.

(Laughs) There’s that scene where Chris Shiflett talks about Pat Smear coming back in the band. It’s like, everything that he describes feeling wise is exactly what I went through. It was like so verbatim, it was just like I knew Izzy was coming and I heard talks about it. We still hadn’t found a singer, and I was just like oh great. That’s it, now I’m going to get replaced. I remember talking to Duff, and he was just like: ‘Look dude, Izzy won’t stay, I guarantee you it won’t happen. He comes in and plays for a few weeks, a few times, and then he just gets sick of it and he does something else, he disappears.’ And that’s exactly what happened, he came in, they wrote a few songs. I was in the room for some of it, I mean I was in the room and then we had 3 guitar players and we just fucked around and wrote songs, which was really great because I love Izzy, as a person and a player. As a songwriter he’s just great, but I didn’t want to lose my position. I think they even went in the studio, the 4 of them, and wrote some stuff, and recorded like 2 or 3 demos. I wasn’t there for that, which just escalated my fear of being left out. Then a couple days later he was just gone, and that was it. Then things were just back to normal, and it was just a weird thing.

Edited by ludurigan