"Sweet Child O 'Mine" is plagiarized?

'Unpublished Critics', from the band Australian Crawl, was released in 1981, six years before the GNR and his "Sweet Child".

In fact, the music is very similar to "Sweet Child O 'Mine" and was actually released on the album "Sirocco" 1981.

https://br.noticias.yahoo.com/blogs/mira-regis/tio-regis-vai-ajudar-na-divers%C3%A3o-para-o-194214902.html

It's not like Led Zeppelin.

Musicians call this inspiration.

This is like seeing someone that looks kind of like a friend of yours, then accusing them of being identical twins.

I've been mistaken for a renowned guitar instructor in the past and almost got into a fight with someone cause I wouldn't "teach him"

James Reyne of Australian Crawl commented after Australian blog Max TV highlighted the similarities between his band's 'Unpublished Critics' and the huge worldwide hit.

"[‘Unpublished Critics’ has] the same chugging chord progression, a similarly-sweeping lead break, the verse melody, and the elongated one-syllable vocal in the chorus,” wrote Australian blog Max TV of the similarities.

'Unpublished Critics' is taken from the Australian band’s album 'Sirocco', which came out in 1981 on Geffen Records, six years before Guns N' Roses released 'Sweet Child O’ Mine' on the same label.

Australian Crawl singer James Reyne told Daily Mail Australia that it is "not inconceivable" that Guns N' Roses heard the song first, but added, "I'm not about to take on the might of the Guns N' Roses lawyers".

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/85297?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=gunsnroses#1mHtM2uuDvjmvvup.99

SCOM's been out 27 years. Why bring it up now? Why not then before GnR had any might?

Only just heard about this but seems to have been around for some time. They do sound similar so I guess that means the obvious thing is for Guns to come to Australia & do a tour with Australian Crawl as their first act.

Let us be the judges. James Reyne won't take any action, but on a tour they could both play the songs at the same time & the audience can decide if it's the same song.

Simple - come on down. :headbang: :headbang:

There are definitely some similarities between the chord progression, drum feel, and cadence of vocals. However first off chord progressions cannot be copywrited and therefore cannot be plagiarized, drum grooves cannot be copyrighted, and the vocal melody isn't similar enough to where anyone would confuse the song for SCOM.

All in all Sweet Child is not plagiarized

I neva heard of this band before, checked their songs, they're awesome.

I felt like the band listened to this song, and it stuck there in their minds, there're influences, but tis not a rip off. This happens all the time, Axl once said that blablablaa and he'd later finds out some of his ideas were LED Zep songs :D

Btw, this song rocks.

• Like 1

I like the Australian Crawl song where James Reyne sings like a Chinese guy with a cleft palate and you can't understand the lyrics.

Oh Johnny, you mean all of his songs. :lol::P

rock, you beat me to it :lol:

Watch out if Iggy Pop's lawyer ever hears Jet's "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?"...

• Like 1

So if it did go to court, who would get what? Would this guy get a cut of royalties? Axl wrote the lyrics, but the song structure is the players, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven...does it affect there cut, or what?

Peter Green can sue The Beatles for "Sun King" because they lifted "Albatross". I think just about everyone who could sue Led Zep for royalties already has, it wasn't about royalty money for Jake Holmes but acknowledgment for "Dazed and Confused". Now Page is busy arguing with Robbie Williams of all people and it has nothing to do with music.

Now Page is busy arguing with Robbie Williams of all people and it has nothing to do with music.

Man, Page and Williams relationship is hilarious. You two need to have a cuddle and kiss and make up and live together in the same house.

Edited by Silent Jay