"Sweet Child O 'Mine" is plagiarized?

header-mira-regis_171003.jpg

'Unpublished Critics', from the band Australian Crawl, was released in 1981, six years before the GNR and his "Sweet Child".

In fact, the music is very similar to "Sweet Child O 'Mine" and was actually released on the album "Sirocco" 1981.

https://br.noticias.yahoo.com/blogs/mira-regis/tio-regis-vai-ajudar-na-divers%C3%A3o-para-o-194214902.html

Worst thread on this board ever

thanks for your valuable contribution. we are all anxious waiting for your new major topics and collaborations to the forum.

I do remember Axl mentioning that they wanted the solo in SCOM to come off like the one in Manferd Man's BBTL, so who fucking knows...

Pretty much no originality in entertainment anyway, or life for that matter. We just fill up with what our senses allow us, and rehash it all into the individual.

• Like 1

I hear it.

me, too. especially the guitar solos are so ripped off, but the pre-chorus as well. and these guys didn't sue gnr?

just listen to one of the live solos at 3:48....its from january 1986.

Edited by maxpax
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

header-mira-regis_171003.jpg

'Unpublished Critics', from the band Australian Crawl, was released in 1981, six years before the GNR and his "Sweet Child".

In fact, the music is very similar to "Sweet Child O 'Mine" and was actually released on the album "Sirocco" 1981.

https://br.noticias.yahoo.com/blogs/mira-regis/tio-regis-vai-ajudar-na-divers%C3%A3o-para-o-194214902.html

Worst thread on this board ever

thanks for your valuable contribution. we are all anxious waiting for your new major topics and collaborations to the forum.

I like this thread, nice find.

I wouldn't call this plagiarism, influence maybe.

The only part in SCOM that IS in fact "borrowed" or "stolen" is Slash's instrumental breaks right after the first chorus. It is the EXACT same notes and phrasing as Clapton's Wonderful Tonight. But Slash did change the second time through, so its really only after the first chorus that is Clapton. But on a side note I have heard those exact notes played in a few different songs, but to my knowledge Clapton's was first.

I wrote a song that going down sounds just like. Its called "coming up". The chorus is even similar. "I love everything you do as your coming up, not sorry for anything". Im going to sue GnR now. *sarcasm*

Seriously though.... theres only so many chords. Songs are bound to sound similar. This reminds me of when someone tried to compare madagascar to some strange hulk hogan song.

• 5 weeks later...

I hear it in the melody and the chorus, absolutely...but it's still very different, overall, from SCOM. There's also the question as to whether the band even would have been listening to this in the mid-80s...they've never mentioned liking this band. I'm confused about why people would be pinning this on Axl alone, as well - the entire band was involved with developing the song, si?

It could always be cryptomnesia. You can often hear influences in different bands' work; it isn't too much of a stretch that someone could unconsciously incorporate a melody or chord progression they heard somewhere else. And as others have mentioned, there are only so many chord progressions out there, and a lot of songs have similarities.

Edited by stella

Chords and melody in the verses and even the guitar part is near identical... Weird.

This, after hearing this I would have a very hard time believing the SCOM wasnt directly influenced from this song. There are just way too many similarities. That being said, this is far from out of the ordinary.

I hear it in the melody and the chorus, absolutely...but it's still very different, overall, from SCOM. There's also the question as to whether the band even would have been listening to this in the mid-80s...they've never mentioned liking this band. I'm confused about why people would be pinning this on Axl alone, as well - the entire band was involved with developing the song, si?

It could always be cryptomnesia. You can often hear influences in different bands' work; it isn't too much of a stretch that someone could unconsciously incorporate a melody or chord progression they heard somewhere else. And as others have mentioned, there are only so many chord progressions out there, and a lot of songs have similarities.

Axl is not guilty, he was upstairs

just found this pos

"from the album Hunger for Chaos" :rofl-lol:

Oh god, what a poor exmple of a copycat band...

They are all untalented hacks, jeez. Almost all of the bands that got to make a video and some little record deal, can contain ONE talented musician... facepalm

Original topic aside: there's some similarities (what k12 posted is plausible that Geffen showed them the song, remember the song was written after they got a record deal)), but i think the intro riff and Axl's voice makes SCOM a timeless classic. This aussie band is another half talented- half pretended alt rock band from the 80's nobody even remembering them now, so their "original" songs sucks donkey balls so even if GNR used some of the verses, it's worth it, those guys never got any major talent, GNR has...

Period