AXL lists his favorite singers, in a letter to Spin (in response to "Greatest vocalist" article

Surprising and awesome to see MJ not only in the list but right out the gate!

He's only publically mentioned him twice before that I know of. The first time it was in a late 80s interview where he was asked his opinion on MJ and he said to the effect of: 'Well, the problem is I can say I like one song, for instance I like Bad, but then people take that to mean I love everything he ever did.' Then he briefly mentioned him in a negative slant with regard to Slash's projects outside of Guns, frustrated that Slash would publicly knock Axl's balladry but then go and do whatever the fuck with whomever the fuck.

This is pure speculation but since MJ is one of Bucket's favourite people ever, it's possible that he turned Axl onto some things that opened his eyes a bit. I don't care what your preferred musical 'genre' is: if you can't appreciate the talent in the vocals on Who Is It, Is It Scary, Will You Be There, Keep The Faith then your opinion isn't worth much.

Edited by Jordan Rose

Surprising and awesome to see MJ not only in the list but right out the gate!

He's only publically mentioned him twice before that I know of. The first time it was in a late 80s interview where he was asked his opinion on MJ and he said to the effect of: 'Well, the problem is I can say I like one song, for instance I like Bad, but then people take that to mean I love everything he ever did.' Then he briefly mentioned him in a negative slant with regard to Slash's projects outside of Guns, frustrated that Slash would publicly knock Axl's balladry but then go and do whatever the fuck with whomever the fuck.

This is pure speculation but since MJ is one of Bucket's favourite people ever, it's possible that he turned Axl onto some things that opened his eyes a bit. I don't care what your preferred musical 'genre' is: if you can't appreciate the talent in the vocals on Who Is It, Is It Scary, Will You Be There, Keep The Faith then your opinion isn't worth much.

Don't forget he also slammed MJ by saying the Video Vanguard Award had nothing to do with MJ at the VMAs.

i quite like Mark Lanegan's voice. it just sounds cool.

Fantastic voice. Rumbling roaring.

In shadow of the seeeeeason, to find a reeeeeeason to carry aaaaaahhhhhhnnn!!!

He's really brings the husk.

• Like 1

No surprise to see Zeppelin fans insecure because he didn't mention Plant. :lol:

Why the fuck would he put Michael Jackson and not Plant? I can see why.

Because Michael Jackson was singing better at 9 years old than Robert Plant ever did.

Nice try.

It's about singers he appreciates and listens to often, the surprises to me were Chrissie Hynde, Fiona Apple, Little Jimmy Scott, and Stevie Wonder. Michael Jackson - I figure he had some issues because Slash worked with him, and maybe after Michael passed, he started listening to the back catalog and liking it. Interesting that he'd have jazz, blues, R&B singers. Most of them had been mentioned before and he misspelled Janis the last time he mentioned her.

Great from Axl. He seems to be a pretty decent fella but gets too much shit from the media and fans. Fellow musicians and critics seem to respect him a lot more than we do. That being said, artistically he's probably done, but it doesnt matter because he seems to be in a good mood and looks less bloated.

Nice to see he listed Freddie first. I kinda knew he'd list him first but why no Plant?

Surprised he didn't mention Plant in there too. Cool to see Freddie first, kind of expected it. :)

He said "a ton others from the 70's"... If he had to mention every damn singer the list would never end. It slipped his mind. I don't understand why people make a huge deal out of this.

Seriously some need to get off Axl's back.

• Like 1

Great from Axl. He seems to be a pretty decent fella but gets too much shit from the media and fans. Fellow musicians and critics seem to respect him a lot more than we do. That being said, artistically he's probably done, but it doesnt matter because he seems to be in a good mood and looks less bloated.

Nice to see he listed Freddie first. I kinda knew he'd list him first but why no Plant?

Surprised he didn't mention Plant in there too. Cool to see Freddie first, kind of expected it. :)

He said "a ton others from the 70's"... If he had to mention every damn singer the list would never end. It slipped his mind. I don't understand why people make a huge deal out of this.

Seriously some need to get off Axl's back.

...And some need to get off his dick? It was just a side comment. No need to fire up the defence force.

Would love to see Axl writing a weekly column or something.

It's sad that he's felt there's been so little he could say for the past 20+ years. One of the reasons he's one of my favourite people is the amazing, in depth, soul-bearing interviews in the early 90s. I love the video interviews with Loder, especially the one where he stops when he sees a hummingbird and then does a spot-on impersonation of Keith Richards.

I'm not sure a column would be the best idea because his writing style can be incredibly meaty. I mean, I love his passion and intensity but e.g. the Oh My God press release was a big chunk of beef.

I personally think he'd really be great doing a podcast, just shooting the shit, telling some stories and having some guests on.

Great from Axl. He seems to be a pretty decent fella but gets too much shit from the media and fans. Fellow musicians and critics seem to respect him a lot more than we do.

I only give him shit cause I respect his talent and previous aspirations a hell of a lot and dislike seeing it pissed down the drain through becoming a parody when he has all the tools to create something more than the last 4 years.

• Like 1

Great from Axl. He seems to be a pretty decent fella but gets too much shit from the media and fans. Fellow musicians and critics seem to respect him a lot more than we do.

I only give him shit cause I respect his talent and previous aspirations a hell of a lot and dislike seeing it pissed down the drain through becoming a parody when he has all the tools to create something more than the last 4 years.

How can you be so certain he has the necessary motivation?

True, motivation is vital and Axl is in the luxury of not having to force it to keep the brand healthy, but 4 years is a long time and he had a plan not so long ago. The mystery is 'what happened to it'.

I agree completely. Like in most cases it is probably a mix of reasons, and I would suspect Robin and Bucket leaving in addition to the struggle with releasing CD being part of it.

In either way Axl hasn't wanted to release anything since CD and for all of us who likes him music that is a shame.