AXL lists his favorite singers, in a letter to Spin (in response to "Greatest vocalist" article

Based on interviews in 2009 where he was reluctant to talk about a follow-up and the fact that he stopped talking about forthcoming releases during concerts after the release of CD (something he did frequently during the years before the release) suggests to me that he lost his mojo (or will to release, if you prefer) around the time CD dropped.

Based on interviews in 2009 where he was reluctant to talk about a follow-up and the fact that he stopped talking about forthcoming releases during concerts after the release of CD (something he did frequently during the years before the release) suggests to me that he lost his mojo (or will to release, if you prefer) around the time CD dropped.

The whole CD process looked pretty painful. I can't really blame him for getting disillusioned with the whole thing.

It's bittersweet to see these recent writings from Axl (the Super Bowl thing, this letter, interviews, etc).

It's a stark reminder of what we all wanted him to be: relevant. I wish he had never left his position as one of the worlds most popular musicians.

It's just too late now, Axl.

• Like 1

Great from Axl. He seems to be a pretty decent fella but gets too much shit from the media and fans. Fellow musicians and critics seem to respect him a lot more than we do.

I only give him shit cause I respect his talent and previous aspirations a hell of a lot and dislike seeing it pissed down the drain through becoming a parody when he has all the tools to create something more than the last 4 years.

Don't worry, he seems to be in a good mood and cracking jokes all the time. :lol:

No surprise to see Zeppelin fans insecure because he didn't mention Plant. :lol:

Not really. He just seems to owe some of his own style to Plant.

Exactly.

Great from Axl. He seems to be a pretty decent fella but gets too much shit from the media and fans. Fellow musicians and critics seem to respect him a lot more than we do.

I only give him shit cause I respect his talent and previous aspirations a hell of a lot and dislike seeing it pissed down the drain through becoming a parody when he has all the tools to create something more than the last 4 years.

Don't worry, he seems to be in a good mood and cracking jokes all the time. :lol:

He looks happy and makes plenty of money but he's a parody and doing what he despised Slash doing. I'd rather the guy have found peace at last of course but it'd be nice if he retired GNR if this is what it amounts to for an evolution.

No surprise to see Zeppelin fans insecure because he didn't mention Plant. :lol:

Why the fuck would he put Michael Jackson and not Plant? I can see why.

Because Michael Jackson was singing better at 9 years old than Robert Plant ever did.

I hope you're joking.

Would love to see Axl writing a weekly column or something.

It's sad that he's felt there's been so little he could say for the past 20+ years. One of the reasons he's one of my favourite people is the amazing, in depth, soul-bearing interviews in the early 90s. I love the video interviews with Loder, especially the one where he stops when he sees a hummingbird and then does a spot-on impersonation of Keith Richards.

I'm not sure a column would be the best idea because his writing style can be incredibly meaty. I mean, I love his passion and intensity but e.g. the Oh My God press release was a big chunk of beef.

I personally think he'd really be great doing a podcast, just shooting the shit, telling some stories and having some guests on.

Axl writes amazingly well. I enjoy anything he writes, even tweets, he's always creative with that... I dont agree he should be out giving those long interviews to give opinion on everything.... Then he should have a tv show or a podcast, as you say.... Maybe he gets into that later in time.

I find it really cool that he enjoys Twitter and Facebook and express his opinion through social media.

As far as spelling Janis Joplin's name incorrectly. People usually spell that first name 9 times out of 10 Janice and not Janis.

Not meaning her name in particular. Just when people name their child that,it's usually spelled Janice.

Edited by SweetRose

Because Michael Jackson was singing better at 9 years old than Robert Plant ever did.

I hope you're joking.

Nope.

Surprised it's even being questioned to be honest. I mean Michael Jackson had the ability to break your heart when he was just a little boy. He was a far more versatile, passionate and soulful singer than Robert Plant, who really is no better than Bach, Halford etc in terms of rock singers, and doesn't even come close to the likes of Freddie, Dio and Axl.

And Jackson, Prince and Stevie Wonder piss over all of them IMO.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 4

I hope you're joking.

Nope.

Surprised it's even being questioned to be honest. I mean Michael Jackson had the ability to break your heart when he was just a little boy. He was a far more versatile, passionate and soulful singer than Robert Plant, who really is no better than Bach, Halford etc in terms of rock singers, and doesn't even come close to the likes of Freddie, Dio and Axl.

Bob Plant's sick, I wouldn't be that dismissive of him.... but I agree with the rest.

I hope you're joking.

Nope.

Dio lmao, right. MJ, hahahaha

I hope you're joking.

Nope.

Bob Plant's sick, I wouldn't be that dismissive of him.... but I agree with the rest.

Not that dismissive. But as a reaction to 'Plant is God, who the f*** is MJ/Prince/Stevie?' I appreciate the sentiment.