Edge of Tomorrow - surprise hit of the summer?

It was reported two weeks ago that this film was tracking very poorly ($25 mil opening weekend) which would be disastrous given its budget. But then suddenly reviews started pouring it in, and critics are comparing it to iconic films like Aliens and Groundhog Day.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/edge_of_tomorrow/

94% with an 8.3/10 average is quite stunning for the genre. Especially when you factor in that so many people are quick to jump on the Tom Cruise hate bandwagon in recent times. I've seen a lot of praise for Emily Blunt's role which is also rare in action epics and which may be why it's partially being compared to Aliens, in that it features a dominant female character.

Anyway, I can't fucking wait to see this.

Yeah I had zero interest based on the trailer, but I've read some reviews from critics who saw advanced screenings and it's supposed to be pretty damn good.

I'm heading to the Niagara Falls Comic Con on the June 6-8 weekend (CAPTAIN KIRK!!) so I'll probably do an advance screening on the Thursday night to kick off geek weekend!

Edited by Zint
  • Like 1

I'm definitely more intrigued given the RT scores. The trailers however, have been pretty shithouse. I've seen the second one so many times in theatres, and people never fail to scoff and groan at the Groundhog Day angle. And Cruise needs to handle the press very carefully, the public seem to still hate him quite a lot.

• Like 1

He's still a major star in foreign markets, and I think MI4 did some good to help restore his image domestically, but it's definitely still 'cool' to hate on him for a lot of the public. People love to see someone like that fall from grace. He was a major movie star who had a wacky moment in the press and they're still harping on about it a decade later. I couldn't care less about his religious beliefs - I think most Americans believe in some pretty crazy shit myself, so I can't take it seriously when I hear people of other religious faiths acting as if Scientology is any more cuckoo for cocoa puffs in theory than any others. I do have a problem with the Church of Scientology itself, but I'm sure they shield Cruise from most of their ill doing, so it's not exactly something I'm going to hold against him.

Jack Reacher and Oblivion both did OK domestically but earned most of their money overseas, so we'll see how this one plays out.

The light novel it's based off of has a pretty good reputation (which was also illustrated by Yoshitoshi ABe, who's one of the greats himself). I've been interested in it for a while, but I wasn't expecting much after seeing the trailers and all. It's nice to see the early reviews have been very positive.

I like Tom Cruise (his movies) and I like scifi. I also like beech landing invasions. You would think this would be a must see for me but idk, I am just not psyched at all. The reviews are intriguing but its very possible that once it releases they'll drop down considerably.

I have nothing against Tom Cruise, but I'm just tired of his movies. This may prove to be the greatest movie of the summer (or the year), but I've got Cruise fatigue. In the last 15 years I can only think of three movies where Tom Cruise stars or appears that I enjoyed watching (Magnolia, MI3, and Tropic of Thunder). He seems to give the same performance in every role. Some actors I don't mind that that aspect of their performance (Bill Murray, Ricky Gervais, Bruce Willis, Jack Nicholson). Tom Cruise isn't one of them, for me at least.

Have not seen Oblivion but after MI4, I hold nothing against Tom Cruise

i still think the third was the best, if only for PSH's villain. i also liked that it was kind of a 'personal' mission for Ethan, but they still had the team along. MI4 was great and i'd argue some of the action sequences were a little nicer looking (Abrams' lens flare fixation in the third movie gave it kind of a garish look at times, especially the scene where he tries to break into that building in Hong Kong at night or wherever it was) but that fucking bridge sequence in the third movie is one of the most underrated action sequences in action cinema in the last decade i'd reckon, and man, i love that cold opening with PSH threatening Ethan's girlfriend and how it kind of ties back around by the end of the film. that movie came out right at the zenith of when it was 'cool' to hate on Cruise (it was right after the couch-jumping nonsense) and i think people were quick to hate it, but in retrospect i do think it's one of the best action thrillers of recent time, and a bit above the fourth film for the reasons I mentioned above (IV really lacked a good villain).

Maybe the plot isn't as generic as superhero movies so theatre audiences are blown away.

Minority Report was pretty good.

I reckon Tom gives the movie an extra star. Like the Jack Reacher movies with someone else wouldn't be even 7/10.

Just got back from it - and it is absolutely AMAZING. Truly great sci-fi. I really, really recommend it - it's funny, great aliens and a good plot. Big surprise for me - went in with no real expectations and loved it, so would suggest you do check it out.

Just got back from it - and it is absolutely AMAZING. Truly great sci-fi. I really, really recommend it - it's funny, great aliens and a good plot. Big surprise for me - went in with no real expectations and loved it, so would suggest you do check it out.

Thank you! I'm so excited!

I don't know anything with Tom Cruise in it can be considered a "surprise hit" but I thought the trailers looked amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing it. It will be a shit ton better than Godzilla (the only other summer blockbuster I've seen so far) that's for sure

• Like 1

I don't know anything with Tom Cruise in it can be considered a "surprise hit" but I thought the trailers looked amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing it. It will be a shit ton better than Godzilla (the only other summer blockbuster I've seen so far) that's for sure

In 2014? It's not really a given that his movies are going to be hits. His draw is a looong way from what it used to be, but I do get what you're saying.

I'm sure this movie will be good, but I'm pretty wary of the sudden wave of hype surrounding it.