Revolver Interview with Axl Rose

Glad to know where his heads at, at least now we know (much better) about his plans for new music... the next album is likely going to be CD era material with sprinkles of the current bands songs. Look, I'm happy to get anything from Guns at this stage... is it the record I hoped for...? we'll see! I've said it before that I want an album predominately made by the current band with a selection of the best CD era songs sprinkled in, I want the record to have a real flow with a certain style prominent without... I loved CD, and I loved that the album ran the gamut style wise but one of the biggest complaints I've heard is that the album felt disjointed, like a compilation album because there was so many styles. Finally, I would love a less is more GnR album to combat the previous release. Does a GnR album need 20 vocal overdubs, breakdowns with piano, guitar soloing as well as a vocal over the top? no, did it work for CD? sort of, but it was also a bit of a mess in places.

I look forward to the new album whenever it turns up... I'm expecting it for late, very late 20.......15 or 16... would love it earlier, but lets be realistic, Axl is a musician and he loves the details... he can't resist tinkering with things, which is great when you get the record and you hear new things after the 100th time but, not so good for people who just want to hear some new music.

I think they should work up one song that's nearly finished from the CD era (maybe one that's no going on the album) and play it for the 2nd half of the residency just to make the rest of the band happy and the many, many fans around the world very happy (although they would find something negative to say about it).

2015 is the 30th anniversary of the brandname, so it would be wise to put out the record next year
Maybe a 2017 date is plausible (milking the 30th anniversary of AFD)
"They boys return with a new album and THEY celebrate the 30th anniversary of THEIR debut record AFD" :lol:

Edited by Crash Diet

The label probably doesn't have the same people working at it that they had when Axl dealt with them, and judging from how Lady Gaga did, there were probably more changes.

Not a lot of bands are making money, but the whole "Axl spent 15 million to make an album" - Azoff cleared the books and the next release isn't going to cost anywhere near that to make when money's already been spent on most of the songs. The tweaking and getting the band to play those songs in the "near" future remains to be seen. Supposedly we'll have new songs this year, so if he gets 1 song out, the fans will be happy with that, but of course there's going to be a lot of "where's the album"?

He didn't say it would be out this year? I only read it once, he said something like look seriously at it. It offers hope, but it's not like they are thinking of releasing this year. Although it's possible, there's time for Nov?

If what people say it's all gravy to the label, CD II sell 3 mil world wide, make them 30 mil. Guess the Remix would be half that. Still 15 mil. 50 mil on the table. Take away basic releasing costs, still 40 mil.

Does anyone else get the feeling he's just letting his paranoia get the best of him when he's talking about managers secretly fucking him over? The 2011 tour was pretty well promoted, and they were set up in respectable venues. What more did he want exactly? How exactly are they fucking you over?

Sure I believe they would want a reunion, but I don't believe they're setting up elaborate schemes to make it happen. I just don't see the evidence, and I never see him get even remotely specific about it. Sounds like conspiracy nonsense.

Axl believes that the label, lawyers, A&R, managers and the whole world were doing everything in their power to have a reunion. So they would come up with whatever bullshit to make Axl give up. And maybe he is right. Put yourself in the shoes of those guys. Sure a reunion would make everyone richer. But also Axl himself would make more money. I guess if the label and managers only care about a reunion they should been straightforward about it from day one. Their mistake was to believe that they could´ve persuaded Axl as time was passing by that the only way out was a reunion. And things are not just about Axl. There are other 4 guys who also must a have a say about a reunion. Were Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven really very interested in a reunion under Axl´s terms only? Were they willing to be just hired guys? I think managers forgot about this part of the deal as well.

The part I don´t get is why the U.S. tour was not legimate in his view.

Despite my usually negative comments reguarding CD2, this was a good interview. It's nice to get some info from the man himself. I would very much buy a new album the day of release, but I have no misconceptions of it. I'm still expecting a TSI type level from it. But it is what it is, a new album is never a bad thing. Not sure about the remix album though, does a market even exist for it? I loved the comments about Duff, if he is not going to get Slash back ever again, then he needs to get Duff before Slash tries to start VR just to keep Duff in HIS band.

Overall great read.

good interview, but it's just hard to believe in anything axl has to say. so yeah, i'll believe in a new album when i have it playing on my computer. axl lied about new music before, and the "real life" excuse is really lame. every band has to deal with real life, not only them.

• Like 1

Does anyone else get the feeling he's just letting his paranoia get the best of him when he's talking about managers secretly fucking him over? The 2011 tour was pretty well promoted, and they were set up in respectable venues. What more did he want exactly? How exactly are they fucking you over?

Sure I believe they would want a reunion, but I don't believe they're setting up elaborate schemes to make it happen. I just don't see the evidence, and I never see him get even remotely specific about it. Sounds like conspiracy nonsense.

Axl believes that the label, lawyers, A&R, managers and the whole world were doing everything in their power to have a reunion. So they would come up with whatever bullshit to make Axl give up. And maybe he is right. Put yourself in the shoes of those guys. Sure a reunion would make everyone richer. But also Axl himself would make more money. I guess if the label and managers only care about a reunion they should been straightforward about it from day one. Their mistake was to believe that they could´ve persuaded Axl as time was passing by that the only way out was a reunion. And things are not just about Axl. There are other 4 guys who also must a have a say about a reunion. Were Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven really very interested in a reunion under Axl´s terms only? Were they willing to be just hired guys? I think managers forgot about this part of the deal as well.

The part I don´t get is why the U.S. tour was not legimate in his view.

Considering the fact, that he was played on amphiteatres there in the 90's this is not really a huge succes for him

But this part is a bit "cloudy" in this interview. I don't fully understand this part either

I wonder what the damn hold up it. In early 2013(Melbourne show), I told Fernando(who was a very nice guy by the way) that "you gotta put out the new record" and his response was "we are trying". That was over a year ago. I really wonder how slow the wheels turn in Guns N' Roses. There was less time between grand theft auto 4 and 5 than there is Chidem and its follow up!

I wonder what the damn hold up it. In early 2013(Melbourne show), I told Fernando(who was a very nice guy by the way) that "you gotta put out the new record" and his response was "we are trying". That was over a year ago. I really wonder how slow the wheels turn in Guns N' Roses. There was less time between grand theft auto 4 and 5 than there is Chidem and its follow up!

Well, I don't think they are exactly moving heaven and earth here.

Not exactly a profile in courage to call Axl out for being completely unreliable on stuff like this.

But, to be honest, I'll take these answers over the "don't know, don't care" variety.

Yeh.... That was a real bummer when he said that. Guess it worked out ok though, least he didn't get anyone's hopes up, considering he said that in 2009 and we still haven't got a record!

I love it! I LOVE IT!!

This just made my day, Axl's so humble and cool!

I guess age makes you reflect on you life too. I'm so glad to read him like this, he sounds so mature..

Thanks Revolver and the person who typed it out.

• Like 1

But one thing I do like to do when I'm not playing or singing onstage is I like talking through the microphone into the other guys' in-ears and telling them jokes and stuff to try to mess up their playing.

Works in ashba

One of the best Axl interviews in a long time. Love this regarding Duff- " And you know, it's pretty funny because we'd go to talk about certain things from Illusions, and there's things he doesn't remember, there's things I don't remember. We kind of finish some of each other's memories sometimes."

Not exactly a profile in courage to call Axl out for being completely unreliable on stuff like this.

But, to be honest, I'll take these answers over the "don't know, don't care" variety.

Yeah this is quite a departure from the "Don't know, don't care" interview with Del or the "We have no plans to do anything ever" tweet, and the fact that Axl has said it himself rather than through a 3rd party shows that he is perhaps more open to the possibility of a new record than he was not so long ago. So there is reason to be positive about this, but experience tells us that we should take his words with a veeeeery big grain of salt (more like a boulder of salt) for all we know he could wake up on the wrong side of the bed tomorrow and disappear for another 5 years

I don't believe a word he says about new music.

Also, wut:

Because with this lineup, everybody goes out and tries to do their very best, and every guy's on. I don't have to tell the other guys what to do, they do it on their own. They push each other really, really hard.

It's like Axl doesn't realize slash and izzy and duff aren't 23 years old anymore.

Dude, Axl-- look at Slash's work ethic compared to yours. Slash hasn't gone musically inactive ever since AFD.

And duff? Hell, just compare duff physically to Axl, and THEN tell me who is the harder worker. Let alone everything else duff has done with his life.

Yes, Axl, the hard worker, getting fat and clearly not practicing and not releasing any music. Jeez.

Edited by niceguy
  • Like 3

"Hopefully, there'll be at least a few more years," Rose says, "and then we can judge everything a little better." He laughs again. "If I'm lucky!"

I hope he's not dying.

This sounds a lot like a press conference Freddie Mercury gave in Europe during Queen's 1986 tour where a reporter asked when he would be back to the area, and he said something like "tell you what, if I'm alive I'll come back".