New Ace Frehley streaming at RollingStone.com

gunsfanoldie

I'm a big Ace fan. IMO without his guitar sound, KISS would not have been KISS. He elevates them from being a decent band to arena legends. He's got a new album coming out, and in all honesty I don't really care that much. His last one had a few ok songs, the lead single being the best of them.

But his new single release has gotten me pretty excited. Sounds like a killer track and I have a friend that makes fun of me that I overstate Ace's talents. But right out of the gate in this track, he's doing his classic fills and his sound is just one of those things I can hear over and over again. Never gets old to me, and its not around so much these days. So even if it sounds completely recycled from 30 years ago, I'm happy to be hearing it.

Judge for yourself. My favorite part has to be the ending line, which literally made me burst out laughing:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-ace-frehleys-kiss-like-new-gimme-a-feelin-premiere-20140529

This sounds great. The production on his last album was horrendous; live the songs sounded pretty decent but I just can't listen to those studio recordings. This track sounds big, crisp, and warm. Looking forward to the album. Ace's live shows are terrific, hopefully he plays somewhere near me in support of the album.

• Like 1

Totally agree. The last album had some good tracks but the production was dreadful. I too heard this and was relieved that the production seems to be a big step up. I've seen Ace live as well and he's just fantastic. Was 1/4th the price of when I saw KISS and put on 10 times the show.

Also, on a smaller note about the album, its very cool to see he commissioned Ken Kelly to do the artwork, who did classic KISS albums like Destroyer and Love Gun. Just a cool little gesture that I'm a fan of and the cover looks really great:maxresdefault.jpg

Totally forgot I also had Ace as my profile pic. Guess being a big fan went without saying :lol: .

Holy fuck, already better than everything on "Anomaly". It is also the most old- school sounding KISS sound he or KISS has done since back in the day. Fuck yeah!

Rock on, Ace! :headbang:

I like his use of delay on this one. Ace's guitar phrasing embodies rock n' roll. and it's still all there. I thought Anomaly was a great album. The production was horrid though, like was said earlier. Looking forward to this.

Holy fuck, already better than everything on "Anomaly". It is also the most old- school sounding KISS sound he or KISS has done since back in the day. Fuck yeah!

I like his use of delay on this one. Ace's guitar phrasing embodies rock n' roll. and it's still all there. I thought Anomaly was a great album. The production was horrid though, like was said earlier. Looking forward to this.

Yeah, the songwriting on Anomaly was solid but the production sucked. I also hated the lack of solos.

This new tune is totally cheesy and 2- dimensional, but that is what Ace and KISS do best. No complaints here

Yeah, the songwriting on Anomaly was solid but the production sucked. I also hated the lack of solos.

This new tune is totally cheesy and 2- dimensional, but that is what Ace and KISS do best. No complaints here

You know, I would love to get the instrumental version of this song. The lyrics are a generic cheesy 80's turd, but the guitar leads and riffs are classic Ace, which frankly, is what I mainly care about and look for when I listen to an Ace album.

And I think you meant one dimensional.

Edited by Rovim

Good for Ace. He has done some great solo stuff, much better than widely credited. His solo album was superior compared to the other in the 70ties and Anomaly was really really good too. His live show was pretty damn entertaining as well. Hope to see him live again and I will certainly buy this new album.

A week later and I'm still rocking out to this. Getting more excited for the record.

any idea when the album is being released?

First thought when seeing that question was June 24th, and it is a Tuesday. I think I heard that somewhere, can't recall now though.

(After some Google research): Yup, the 24th.

http://loudwire.com/ace-frehley-new-solo-album-space-invader/

A week later and I'm still rocking out to this. Getting more excited for the record.

any idea when the album is being released?

First thought when seeing that question was June 24th, and it is a Tuesday. I think I heard that somewhere, can't recall now though.

(After some Google research): Yup, the 24th.

http://loudwire.com/ace-frehley-new-solo-album-space-invader/

nice...thank you

really looking forward to the album...hopefully he's continued to improve off of his great anomaly comeback

• 2 months later...

Album comes out next week. Looking forward to it. Here's a stream of the title track:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/stream_ace_frehleys_space_invader_title_track_now.html

Don't like it as much as Gimme A Feelin', but also sounds very good. Gimme A Feelin' is just very much exactly what I want to hear from Ace and rock music these days so that seems hard to top. Overall, I'm surprised that Ace is putting out any good music at all. I love the guy, but he was never a great songwriter, so the fact that this release could even be remotely passable is nice to me.

Nice write up about the album as well from Eddie Trunk. I'm a fan of his, so obviously thats a little biased, but I thought this was very fair and balanced and said some good stuff:

http://eddietrunk.com/812-review-of-ace-frehleys-space-invader-album/

• 2 weeks later...

No one probably cares about this, but I already had a thread started about it so I figured I'd bump it.

Just listened to this whole album this morning on the ride back from dropping someone off from the airport. My second time listening to it in full. My first was last week on a train ride back from New York (guess thats not really relevant, but you get a glimpse into my very busy personal life.

Anyway, on first listen I thought it was a solid effort. He fixed a lot of the problems I had with the last album, mainly production wise of which this new album is miles better and in terms of writing what seem like more well structured songs. I know Ace said people wanted it heavier, which I didn't necessarily agree with since I thought Anomaly was heavy enough, but he finds a nice balance here. I can only imagine by heavier he means songs like Change and Toys. Liked it on first listen, but there was obvious filler with some great stand out tracks.

On second listen this morning, I fucking loved the whole album. It starts out strong with Gimme A Feelin and I Wanna Hold You, probably my 2 favorites from the record. I didn't like Change and Toys the first time around but I liked them much more this morning. They are still pretty stupid lyrically ("Toys, for big boys" I actually laughed out loud at how stupid that was last week), but I funnily enough found myself singing the choruses once they came around and really got into the tracks.

My favorites are pretty much the same as Eddie Trunk's. What Every Girl Wants is a great rock track and Past The Milky Way is a really cool ballad-ish type track. Starship, the 7 minute instrumental closing track, I thought might get boring, but I do think it stands with Fractured Mirror as some great Ace soloing. The Joker is fine for what it is, but I agree with Eddie he didn't really make it his own. Sounds like it was just thrown on and barely rehearsed. As opposed to Fox On The Run, which I actually thought was the highlight of the last album.

Really shocked at how much I liked this album, as I expected nothing from it. It very well could be my first favorite FULL album of 2014 (although I also liked Tom Petty's which I heard a few days ago). Anyway, figured I'd bump the thread for anyone else that might want to check it out. Maybe I was just really into it for some strange reason this morning, but I think its a surprisingly great album, and even if you don't like the whole thing (as I did the first time) there are still about 5 killer tracks I think people will pick out. I heard Anomaly again about a year ago and thought it was about as bad as I remembered it to be 3 or so really good tracks, one being a cover. I think this album is much much better.

Wrote more than I thought.