The guy who credits himself with CD's release

Wired article

Interesting article about a guy who spent a bunch of money setting up a vintage arcade in his apartment. It should have nothing to do with GNR at first blush, until this gets dropped halfway through, while discussing Kooluris' professional background. I'm not as familiar with some of the cross-board users as some of you, so perhaps you'd recognize him by his MB handle, Kaneda?

Apologies if this is already common knowledge:

"The answer eventually reveals itself: The game is brilliant marketing, and Kooluris is a brilliant marketer. A vice president at Weber Shandwick, one of the world’s leading PR firms, Kooluris has been in the marketing and promotion business for 12 years. One of the highlights of his career involved his second love after gaming: Guns N’ Roses. He is an unabashed GNR fanatic, and he credits himself with getting Axl Rose to finally release the album Chinese Democracy. In early 2008, he persuaded his then-client Dr. Pepper to offer everyone in the US a coupon for a free soda if Rose released the long-delayed record. “Total guerrilla marketing,” he says.

Chinese Democracy was indeed released later that year, Dr. Pepper gave out lots of coupons for free sodas, and Kooluris got to meet his idol. “When I met Axl,” Kooluris says, “the first thing he said to me was, ‘Are you Kaneda?’” Kaneda is the handle Kooluris uses on message boards."
  • Like 1

Wired article

Interesting article about a guy who spent a bunch of money setting up a vintage arcade in his apartment. It should have nothing to do with GNR at first blush, until this gets dropped halfway through, while discussing Kooluris' professional background. I'm not as familiar with some of the cross-board users as some of you, so perhaps you'd recognize him by his MB handle, Kaneda?

"The answer eventually reveals itself: The game is brilliant marketing, and Kooluris is a brilliant marketer. A vice president at Weber Shandwick, one of the world’s leading PR firms, Kooluris has been in the marketing and promotion business for 12 years. One of the highlights of his career involved his second love after gaming: Guns N’ Roses. He is an unabashed GNR fanatic, and he credits himself with getting Axl Rose to finally release the album Chinese Democracy. In early 2008, he persuaded his then-client Dr. Pepper to offer everyone in the US a coupon for a free soda if Rose released the long-delayed record. “Total guerrilla marketing,” he says.

Chinese Democracy was indeed released later that year, Dr. Pepper gave out lots of coupons for free sodas, and Kooluris got to meet his idol. “When I met Axl,” Kooluris says, “the first thing he said to me was, ‘Are you Kaneda?’” Kaneda is the handle Kooluris uses on message boards."

I'm still amazed that Dr. Pepper ended up being a key figured in CD's release.

Wired article

Just read that article a few minutes ago. I've never thought the Dr. Pepper thing really had any effect on getting the album released personally.

Guest Gunns

He didn't expect the fuckup that ensued with the free dr pepper redemption's, but it most likely assisted in cd's release, so 7/10 for effort.

I always thought the guy skwirel who leaked/stole CD , or whatever the fuck his name was, had more to do with the release than the Dr. pepper gimmick --

and after reading the guy's story, I think the who incident was orchestrated by Iovine

Edited by jmapelian

Reporters are funny, they take a quote out of context. I said the promotion may have helped get it released. We did generate millions of ad value for Guns for free. And yes, Dr Pepper is still on my shit list for fucking up the giveaway. But it was a really ballsy move for any brand to do something like that, and I'd much rather live in a world where brand's take risks and do interesting stuff. I know I don't post much anymore, but that's just because I've been busy. I still love Guns and the music, just not really too much to talk about in a message board sense, you know? :)

Guest Gunns

A guy turning his apartment into an arcade room? Yep he's been on the Gnr forums too long hahaha

This is the guy that bought us cd what a spin out

Only kidding :lol:

That's fucking cool and I'm not even into video games. The woman who leaves a guy because of this...... good riddance. Guaranteed she'd have no issues with it if he turned it into a big huge walk in closet for all her clothes and a big vanity area to do her makeup and shit. Look at the big picture. How great would a room like this be to play in with your kids as they grow up. Also how much fun would that be when you have friends over. Kaneda will find someone who appreciates life and doesn't suck the life out of it. He's way better off without that girl.