The Cigar Aficionado Thread

Ace Nova

Any Cigar enthusiasts out there? I am no where near a true aficionado but I'm starting to get into them lately. Just got my first humidor shipped to me today....

41SxJZf4HpL.jpg

....and received my first (Toro) sampler of 20 Dominican cigars yesterday.

I am currently "seasoning" my humidor (basically, getting it humid enough to start storing cigars in)....need to get it to the desired 70% - 75% humidity level.

I smoked one out of the sampler so far...it was a Don Osvaldo....not bad for a relatively inexpensive cigar. Mild with a medium drag, burned evenly and lasted a good 45 minutes.

Anyway, any cigar lovers out there? This thread is dedicated to all things cigars!

Edited by Kasanova King

Throat cancer, but I smoked a cuban one time and it was so smooth and just awesome. Congrats for your brand new Humidor. Cigars can be a nice hobby to have. You're going to have some fun with them. Plus you look filthy rich and charismatic when you smoke one with a suit on. Try it.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Any Cigar enthusiasts out there? I am no where near a true aficionado but I'm starting to get into them lately. Just got my first humidor shipped to me today....

41SxJZf4HpL.jpg

....and received my first (Toro) sampler of 20 Dominican cigars yesterday.

I am currently "seasoning" my humidor (basically, getting it humid enough to start storing cigars in)....need to get it to the desired 70% - 75% humidity level.

I smoked one out of the sampler so far...it was a Don Osvaldo....not bad at all for a relatively inexpensive cigar. Mild with a medium drag, burned evenly and lasted a good 45 minutes.

Anyway, any cigar lovers out there? This thread is dedicated to all things cigars!

75% seems too high. I always kept mine at about 65%.

Throat cancer, but I smoked a cuban one time and it was so smooth and just awesome. Congrats for your brand new Humidor. Cigars can be a nice hobby to have. You're going to have some fun with them. Plys you look filthy rich and charismatic when you smoke one with a suit on. Try it.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I won't smoke that many...probably 2-3 a week, or so....and of course, I don't inhale.

75% seems too high. I always kept mine at about 65%.

From what I hear, it really comes down to personal preference. There's a guy on the radio out here that insists it should be as close to 72% as possible... :shrugs: I've had a small container of water in my humidor for a few hours now....it's already up to 65%...I'll stock it when it hits 70%.

So how long have you been smoking cigars?

Any tips or recommendations? What to buy, where to buy from...what to avoid, etc? Just from your experience?

Enjoying a Don Augusto, Toro Maduro from Thompson Cigar Company. Also sipping on a Sweet Water Brewing Company, Road Trip Ale.

The Don Augusto is a medium-mild cigar, nice draw and a very clean, even burn. From my limited experience, I would give this cigar a 7.5/10. I like this cigar slightly better than the Don Osvaldo, Toro Connecticut I had yesterday. I would rate the Don Osvaldo a 7/10.

As far as the ale goes, it is also a medium bodied ale, finishes dry with a lot of hops in the end. As far as complimenting this cigar, next time I would go for maybe a wheat ale, with a slightly less hoppy flavor. Although I like this beer a lot standing on it's own, it would be better served with a slightly stronger cigar.

Edited by Kasanova King

Cant stand up, horrible things, dont see the attraction..unless you fill em with skunk in which case I'm in.

I actually felt almost the same way until recently. My brother in law had been into them for sometime and I used to tell him that I just don't get it. Quitting smoking cigarettes really seemed to help me appreciate them more now. And once you start smoking them properly with the right beverage, it ends up being a very relaxing, feel good and ritualistic experience. Its like discovering something new for the first time....pretty sweet.

Guest Len B'stard

Is it true you aint meant to inhale em? See someone told me that and it makes me think well what the fucks the point in em then?

Edited by sugaraylen

Is it true you aint meant to inhale em? See someone told me that and it makes me think well what the fucks the point in em then?

No, for the most part you don't inhale them. You still have some nicotine slowly enter your system through your mouth and nose glands. Its a much slower intake but ends up feeling very relaxing. Also, good cigars are almost like a fine wine...some get better with age and they have a variety of tastes that compliment various beverages and food.

I'm just starting to get into them and doing a lot of learning with trial and error....pretty fun, really.

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

Me and my mate Mark nicked a shitload of Romeo and Julliettes out of display cabinet in a newsagents, they came in little silver tubes, took em round the back of a library, talking about 12/13 years old here and like...we didn't know what to do with em. I knew you're meant to bite end off the end (or cut em, didn't know that when i was a kid, Arnie always used his teeth on the telly :lol:) and like...we tried lighting these big bastards, without having bit em and like...obviously shit weren't happening...so i just went for broke and bit of a chunk off the tip, lit it up, took a couple of chungs like it was a cigarette and went yeuck, these are disgusting...and just threw em away :lol: Silly boys.

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 1

Me and my mate Mark nicked a shitload of Romeo and Julliettes out of display cabinet in a newsagents, they came in little silver tubes, took em round the back of a library, talking about 12/13 years old here and like...we didn't know what to do with em. I knew you're meant to bite end off the end (or cut em, didn't know that when i was a kid, Arnie always used his teeth on the telly :lol:) and like...we tried lighting these big bastards, without having bit em and like...obviously shit weren't happening...so i just went for broke and bit of a chunk off the tip, lit it up, took a couple of chungs like it was a cigarette and went yeuck, these are disgusting...and just threw em away :lol: Silly boys.

Romeo & Juliettes are actually decent cigars...what a waste... :facepalm: . I think I tried some of my Dad's cigars when I was about that age with the same results. :lol:

On topic, I just found my first "dud" out of the initial sampler pack I bought. It was a Don Lugo, Toro sized w/Conneticut wrapper. It started off with a really tight draw so my brainiac self decided to try to loosen it up with the tip of a coat hanger....ended up breaking it....so down the toilet it went. <_<

Decided to try out a Don Chuchu, Toro Connecticut now. Decent, mid/mild cigar, average draw with a slightly uneven, seems to finish between tangy and slightly bitter. Probably rate it 6/10ish as of now.

On a side note, if it looks as if I'm speaking to myself at times in this thread....it is because I sort of am...I am going to use this thread to log and rate my cigars. :thumbsup:

Edited by Kasanova King

There's a place next to my building called Cigar Ambassador. I just don't have the balls to pretend I can smoke cigars.

There's a place next to my building called Cigar Ambassador. I just don't have the balls to pretend I can smoke cigars.

If you go in and tell them your new to the world of Cigars, most associates will be very welcoming and happy to help you. After all, we all were "new" to it at some point. If smoking a cigar can help you smoke a few less cigarettes a day,why not?"

Guest Len B'stard

I think of cigars as blunts minus the marijuana.

No, you don't think of them as that, thats what they are you fuckin' plum :lol:

Just finishing up a Don Elias Toro Maduro. Very mild cigar but had some wrapper issues. Very tight draw which made me have to cut the draw end twice. OK tasting cigar but I will only give it a 5/10 because of the wrapper and draw issues.

Edited by Kasanova King