The Cigar Aficionado Thread

Ace Nova

I hear you have to light your cigars with matches instead of lighters. Wooden ones in particular.

According to Davidoff's of London, the best way to light a cigar is with either a natural gas lighter or a natural match (one that does not have sulfur on it). If neither is available, a torch butane lighter is the next best thing.

A regular match and Zippo lighters are among the worst...since their scent will be absorbed into the cigar and could ruin the taste of finer cigars.

I like a good cigar, but i really like a good cheap cigar.

The secret is finding good cigars on the cheap. I've been crushing it with online promos/introductory offers, etc....my average cost per stick is less than $2 but the average retail value of my cigars is easily over $6 per stick.

For example, last evening I purchased a promotional offer from Thompson's Cigar Company...it included 4 Monte Cristos, 16 other top end cigars and a humidor for $40. The 4 Monte Cristos are worth $40 all by themselves....so that means the 16 other cigars and humidor are virtually free.

Edited by Kasanova King

DONT buy from Thompsons.. They have a lot of good deals but they do sleazy stuff. If you don't believe me look it up, you'll thank me.

Famous Smoke is my favorite online retailer..

One of my favorite cigars are made my Avanti, Parodis. They have a smokey flavor, they are fire cured.. You can get 5 for under 5 dollars. I'm not cheap, but i've smoked a lot of cigars, and these are what i prefer to smoke, but i like to shell out and get something good. Don Pepin makes a REAL good cigar.

DONT buy from Thompsons.. They have a lot of good deals but they do sleazy stuff. If you don't believe me look it up, you'll thank me.

Famous Smoke is my favorite online retailer..

One of my favorite cigars are made my Avanti, Parodis. They have a smokey flavor, they are fire cured.. You can get 5 for under 5 dollars. I'm not cheap, but i've smoked a lot of cigars, and these are what i prefer to smoke, but i like to shell out and get something good. Don Pepin makes a REAL good cigar.

Thompson's hasn't stirred me wrong yet.... :shrugs: What have they done that was "sleazy"?

I also got a pretty sick deal from Cigars International....ended up with something like 40 cigars (all top end)...and a travel humidor for around $55, including shipping. I haven't bought from Famous yet...they seem decent too. Corona Cigar Company also has a decent deal on Zeus overrun bundles....25 cigars for $30. Supposedly they're 90 rated cigars but they were factory overruns...so they took off the labels and wholesaled them out. Read nothing but positive reviews about them.

And cigarbid.com has some sick deals...just need to catch them at the right time.

http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-cigar-discussion/260117-thompson-cigar-internet-scam.html

Most cigar smokers stay away from Thompsons. I bought one thing from them and they kept calling me for 2 months.

I was just reading a few reviews about them...some positive and some negatives. Apparently, the company changed owners in August of 2013...and there have been less complaints since. The only recent complaints I've read about had to do with delayed shipping. The good thing is, I used Paypal for all my purchases through them...so they don't have my credit card information and Paypal doesn't allow "auto" payments. ;)

Either way, I was actually really happy with Cigar International...and more than likely, most of my future business will be there and on cigarbid.com.

Edited by Kasanova King

yeah, dont forget local places too. The price may be more, you can learn a thing or two.

I like Cigarinternational too, i never used cigar bids.

try some pipe tobacco sometime.

I'm fortunate enough to be close to Corona Cigar Company...they have two locations in the Orlando area and one of them is only 15 minutes from my place. I've only heard really good things about them and their website looks good...so I will definitely check them out as soon as I get a chance.

Cigar Bids has really good deals on top shelf cigars. Typically you can save a solid 30% (or more) than the best online prices elsewhere...just do your research before bidding.

My dad has smoked a pipe since I was born but it never really appealed to me that much. I think it has to do with the fact that I grew up around the smell of his pipe smoke and I never really liked it. On the other hand, I've always enjoyed the smell of a cigar....go figure.

Edited by Kasanova King

Update on my initial sampler. Finally got to smoke a Don Lugo...this time in a Maduro wrapper. Best cigar out of the lot yet. Mild-Medium, good taste, solid, even burn....exceptional. Easily a 8/10....one of my favorites so far.

Edited by Kasanova King

I'm learning as I go and one thing I've learned early on is that apparently one of the main differences between a $2 cigar and a $10 cigar is consistency. For example, for less expensive cigars, you may find 10 really good cigars (out of a box of 20) 5 average...and 5 duds (Usually wrapper issues, draw issues, and some taste/age issues). While (for the most part) with the more expensive cigars, at least 15 (out of 20) are going to be really good...with another 3-4 average...with a max of one or two duds.

Tonight I smoked my 2nd Don Elias, for example, and this time around it was a fine smoke... still not my first choice but smokable.... and I didn't have any draw or wrapper issues like I did with the first one.

Smoking a Don Chu Chu Toro Maduro with a cup of coffee this morining. Compared to the first Don Chu Chu (Toro Conneticut), I am finding this one to be substantially better. Even burn throughout, mild-medium, had creamy taste 1/2 through...and now developing a mild citrus flavor to it. Again, I think this comes down to consistency with these less expensive cigars..and a few extra days in the humidor probably helped as well. I would rate this one a full point higher....7/10.

I received a new sampler today from Thompson's. There's 15 cigars total in it with about 7 different makes.

Currently trying out the Conschero Robusto. It's a 100% Nicaraguan mix. If I were to guess, mixed filler. (Both long and short).

From this point forward, I will start to rate my cigars according to the Cigar Aficionado Magazine rating system and scale. The details are below:

The 100 Point Cigar Ranking System...
There are four components used in the system developed by CIGAR AFICIONADO™ for assigning a rating number to a cigar:

Appearance and Construction

(15 of the possible 100 points)
Visually, a premium cigar should have a smooth, flawless wrapper and be consistent in color and shape. When held, it should feel firm and give off a slightly oily moistness. Points are deducted if the wrapper has areas of large veins or if the cigar feels dry or firmer in some parts than others.

Flavor

(25 of the possible 100 points)
Although each premium cigar has a distinctive taste, all premium cigars should taste smooth and rich. If a cigar leaves a bitter or harsh taste on your lips, tongue or mouth, points are deducted.

Smoking Characteristics

(25 of the possible 100 points)
A perfectly made and stored premium cigar should light and burn easily and evenly. The draw should be comfortable and the same throughout the cigar. The smoke should be cool in your mouth. Points are deducted if the cigar burns too quickly, if it burns faster on one side, and if you have to pull hard to get a mouthful of smoke or if that smoke is unpleasantly hot.

Overall Impression

(35 of the possible 100 points)
This is the most heavily weighted category because it is the most important.
Well, folks, there you have it. With that information, you can now record your very own ratings of your own favorite cigars, using the best cigar rating system available.

Cosechero Robusto Connecticut

Appearance and Construction: 11/15

Average overall construction. Smooth wrapper, some veins, a little on the soft side.

Flavor: 17/25

First 1/3rd was average, medium-mild. 2/3 a little pepper and some nuts. Last 1/3 was the best flavor, lots of nuts, although became hot and started to have a slight ammonia taste. (This usually happens in the latter part of a cigar if it's not aged enough)

Smoking Characteristics: 21/25

This was the cigar's strongest characteristics. Nice even burn with a wonderful (kiss-it) type of draw. Ash stayed on for over an inch but had some wind blown, it would have easily fallen off. I think this is due to the mixed filler.

Overall Impression/Value: 25/35

I added "Value" to this category since I (as do most people) tend to want value for their cigars..."bang for your buck" so to speak.

At less than $2 per stick, this is a decent value and my overall impression was above average. Worth a try, it's a medium-mild smoke.

Total Score: 74/100

Edited by Kasanova King

Pride Toro Conneticut

El-Duro-copy.png

Decent overall construction. Wrapper was smooth with very few veins. Would have been rated higher, but it was slightly on the soft side and it doesn't particularly look like a "high end" cigar from first glance.

Flavor: 20/25

Good tasting, mild/medium cigar. Had a nutty flavor for close to half the cigar, with some pepper and even a little cream at times.

Smoked really good. Easy draw and even burn throughout. Points deducted because it burned somewhat fast for a cigar of its size. Less than 40 minutes.

Overall Impression/Value: 27/35

I was pleasantly surprised with this cigar. Initially, from first glance, it looks like an average daily smoke with no special "stand out" characteristics. But the taste and a great draw for the first 2/3 of it won me over. In terms of value, I think if you shop around, you can get these for around $2-$3 a stick. At that price, they're a decent value.

Total Score: 79/100

Edited by Kasanova King

Sonador Toro Corojo

Appearance and Construction: 12/15

Very nice looking, double band wrapper. Smooth with the right amount of oil. Would have been rated higher but had some minor peeling around the cap area after the cut.

Good tasting, mild/medium cigar. Not very complex but a very smooth overall smoke.

Clean, even burn. I suspect it's mixed filler because the ash is very even after being ashed. Good nonetheless

Overall Impression/Value: 25/35

Nice cigar. It's strengths are its appearance and very smooth smoking qualities. At over $3 per stick, I would say the value is about average. If I can get them for about half of that, then I would buy again.

Total Score: 78

Edited by Kasanova King

Acid Toast Maduro (Toro Size)

acid-toast-subculture1.jpg

Appearance and Construction: 13/15

Great looking cigar with a stylish band. Smooth, oily finish. Very solid construction.

Flavor: 17/25

Acid cigars are "flavor" infused so they are supposed to be somewhat sweet. Not a bad tasting cigar and not nearly as sweet as low end "sweet" cigars (such as Swisher Sweets), which is a good thing, IMO. The sweetness goes down for the 2nd half of the cigar and turns into a relatively smooth and mild smoke. Wouldn't be my first choice...but not bad either.

Smoking Characteristics: 16/25

Not an easy draw and much tighter than I prefer. Had a slightly uneven burn. Seems to be mixed filler. Also went out on me once, while leaving it the ash tray for less than 2 minutes. Other than that, ok.

Overall Impression/Value: 19/35

If this Cigar's price point was around $2 or less, it would have received a higher score in this category, but since half is based off of value, it didn't... since these cigars go as high as $8 for a single. I ordered these as a sampler that came with an ash tray and lighter. If it weren't for those "add ons" I would probably be upset at this purchase but since they ended up costing me less than full retail, I'll put it in the "live and learn" category. Not sure what all the hype is about with these but then again, it's the first time I tried one...I may have a better experience with some other Acids from the sampler.

Total Score: 65

Edited by Kasanova King

Montecristo White Especial No. 3

cigar-swagger-_MonteCristoWhite500.jpg

Appearance and Construction: 15/15

This is the first professionally rated 91 Cigar I have ever smoked (That I'm aware of, anyway) Montecristo has a reputation in the cigar industry as having among the best looking and made cigars...and this one did not disappoint. Velvety wrapper, perfect construction, veins were also smooth and tightly packed.

Definitely a mild smoke but very smooth. The last 1/3 of the cigar was my favorite part, decent amount of nutty taste.

Smoking Characteristics: 17/25

Smoked well for the most part and lasted over an hour. (Which is exceptional for a corona sized cigar). Had a moderately tight draw which I wasn't a fan of. Burned even until the final 1/3 and started to burn slightly uneven but corrected itself.

I liked it, decent cigar. Would I pay $10 for it? Probably not. With the sampler, I paid closer to $2 and it's easily worth that.

Total Score: 78

Edited by Kasanova King

I cannot wait for the day when I can legally smoke a fat ass blunt.

You're in Minnesota, right? Do you guys have medical marijuana legalized?

Yes, but get this KK.

The DUMBFUCKS who passed this law said you can use marijuana for medical purposes only if it is in VAPOR or LIQUID form. So imagine taking a liquid dab of THC. Obviously the idiots who create these laws have minimal experience with marijuana because smoking pot and ingesting liquid THC are on OPPOSITE SIDES of the spectrum. Someone needs to be educated.

My best friends father recently passed away, and my friend inherited his house and everything in it. His father did pretty well for himself, he had a huge humidor full of cuban cigars and a pretty sweet collection of red wine dating back to 1918 at the earliest. Last Saturday we hung out there, drank 4 bottles of wine and smoked some cigars...

I felt like a gigantic hooray for tolerance!

Nah, it was actually pretty cool. I fucking hate cigars though

So imagine taking a liquid dab of THC. Obviously the idiots who create these laws have minimal experience with marijuana because smoking pot and ingesting liquid THC are on OPPOSITE SIDES of the spectrum. Someone needs to be educated.

Ugh...I don't think I would ever want to ingest liquid THC.

My best friends father recently passed away, and my friend inherited his house and everything in it. His father did pretty well for himself, he had a huge humidor full of cuban cigars and a pretty sweet collection of red wine dating back to 1918 at the earliest. Last Saturday we hung out there, drank 4 bottles of wine and smoked some cigars...

I felt like a gigantic hooray for tolerance!

Nah, it was actually pretty cool. I fucking hate cigars though

Sorry about your loss. Too bad you don't enjoy cigars, most Cubans are usually top notch.

Fighting Cock Robusto

GD-120426-01.JPG

Appearance and Construction: 13/15

Nice looking cigar. Average smoothness, a few veins and velvety finish. Nice wrapper with above-average looking band.

Started off with an explosion of great flavors. Mellowed off for a little while then flavors gradually came back. Medium bodied cigar with nearly the perfect amount of smoke per draw. I like this one a lot.

Exceptional, near perfect draw. Burned mostly evenly throughout. Cigar was smoked in less than 45 minutes, which can be average for a robusto sized cigar, so a few points deducted for that.

Overall Impression/Value: 30/35

I absolutely liked this cigar...a lot. The price point makes it even a better value...at around $1.50 per stick, you may find an equal but I doubt you'll find anything better. This Fighting Cock should have a fighting chance in anyone's rotation.

Total Score: 86

Edited by Kasanova King

5 Vegas Classic High Primings Robusto (Habano Wrapper)

cs-5vc.jpg

Very solid cigar, fully packed. Very attractive Habano wrapper, but unfortunately, some parts came apart. I was able to keep it together and enjoy the cigar, but for a premium cigar, it was out of the ordinary. I won't deduct too many points because I'm relatively certain this only happens in a small % of the time with these premiums and I happened to get stuck with the one.

Flavor: 22/25

Probably one of the most complex cigars I have ever smoked... in a very good way. The flavor profile changed at least 4 - 5 times and back again, Flavors included nuts, chocolate, coffee, earth, cream... and toasty at the end. They rank this as a medium-full cigar, but there's nothing medium about it, Definitely full bodied... and strong.... very, very strong. Don't smoke this on an empty stomach or anytime before noon!

Smoking Characteristics: 23/25

Great, slow burning cigar. Burned evenly throughout and lasted well over an hour. Easy draw and plenty of smoke. Would have been almost a perfect rating here, but the wrapper issues interfered with it a little.

Overall Impression/Value: 26/35

This cigar surprised me. I wasn't expecting a full flavored and full bodied cigar. This is the one a day type of smokes. I smoke cigars regularly and this one is a little on the strong side for my liking but that's not to take away from it being among the best tasting cigars I've ever had. The value is on the average side. You can get these for about $4 - $5 a piece but if you can get them anywhere close to $2, (sale prices, samplers) then that's a good deal. If I can get them on the cheap in some sort of sampler again, I'm in.

Total Score: 82

Edited by Kasanova King

• 2 weeks later...

Cohiba Red Dot Robusto

871509L.jpg

Appearance and Construction: 14/15

Very good looking cigar, heavy, and solid. Great, streamlined looking band and logo. The wrapper isn't perfectly smooth and had some minor veins...or else would have received a perfect score here. Gorgeous, nearly fluorescent white ash at times.... the whitest I've seen to date, actually.

Flavor: 22/25

Medium to full flavored, earth, leather, pepper and some nuts here and there....but smooth all the way...amazingly smooth for this type of flavor profile. Changed profiles several times....not much not to like about this cigar in this category. Could be considered a little too peppery at times but some like it, so only a slight deduction for that.

Smoking Characteristics: 23/25

Exceptional, near perfect draw. Burned perfectly evenly throughout. I can't see any cigar smoking better than this....so near perfect score here. Ash length was slightly short, and fell off premature a few times, so deducted a few points for that. Burned (down to the nub) for over an hour...excellent for a robusto.

Exceptional cigar in just about every category so I can see why people pay over $10 a piece for these everyday and all day. In terms of value, if it's a great, consistent cigar you're looking for, then you could be ok paying $10 for these....personally, that's slightly high for me...so in terms of value, these would be middle-of-the-road. If you can find these in samplers (like I did) then go for it!

Total Score: 86

Edited by Kasanova King